Preggo wifey, cat changed behavior.Advice?

thecatwhisker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cat lovers!

My wife is pregnant, the baby is due in the next few days.    "Gizmo" my cat is the kind of cat that minds his own business and only meows whenever he's hungry. He's never shows any affection...

Last few days he's been very afffectionate towards my wife.. at the point that he never leaves her side. He slept on top of her belly and just kept purring, i thought that was so freaking sweet that i immediately started petting him gently , he put his paw over my hand and just kept purring for a while. 

Is this normal? is it because of the baby?... any ideas are welcome just to know how to approach this, cause it's so darn cute.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first Siamese acted this way with my Sister during each of her five pregnancies.  Mom always knew when Sis was - as you've noted - "preggo," because the cat never paid one moment's notice to my Sister otherwise.  During these times - and with five pregnancies, there were a lot of  "these times" - the Meese would plop herself down in my Sister's lap and knead like some meth-crazed baker.

crispylettuce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard of this kind of thing enough anecdotally to believe it's normal. My sister's dog changed her behavior too when my sis was pregnant. She just got super protective of her all of sudden. I can only assume that pets must be able to sense the pregnancy somehow. As long as Gizmo is behaving nicely, then I don't think you have to do anything about it. Just enjoy the cuteness while it lasts. :D

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From the Muppets Show:

(The two old men on the balcony):

First OldMan, after a nice Mana mana song:  "The question is: what is Mana mana?!

The second OldMan answer: "The question is: who cares?!"

:-))

===

That is a lovely situation and as long as it does not bother her, why not just let it be. :-)

growlithe66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is so cute. I have never personally seen it with cats, but have heard about it. I have personally witnessed it in dogs- I work at an animal hospital where one of our patients is known to LOVE pregnant women, and is always extra affectionate with any of them. I'm assuming cats must be able to tell in the same way that dogs can.

marrin713

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first Siamese acted this way with my Sister during each of her five pregnancies.  Mom always knew when Sis was - as you've noted - "preggo," because the cat never paid one moment's notice to my Sister otherwise.  During these times - and with five pregnancies, there were a lot of  "these times" - the Meese would plop herself down in my Sister's lap and knead like some meth-crazed baker.

Meth crazed baker lol

Last edited: