Pregantn Cat Has Diarrhoea And Can Not Clen Herself!

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Background:
I adopted a pregnant cat. Her humans are moving, so I took her.
I took her to the vet. He gave her deworming medicine (Milbemax) , half a tablet that day, and another half tablet to be taken after 15 days (which she took yesterday.)
He said she might not be vaccinated. I have to do that when her kitten are 2 months.
According to the vet's calculations, she must give birth within a week. He said that I should squeeze her nipples, if milk comes, delivery should be within 7-10 days. I squeeze and nothing comes out. Or maybe I'm not doing it right. She is not nesting yet although I offered her a box.
I was feeding her Orijen dry food for mother and kitten, and the vet suggested I switched gradually to Royal Canin mother and baby cat. So I was mixed both for her, adding a bit more of the new one everyday.

Now, problem:
She was fine. Then suddenly a few days back I noticed her poop is loose, and her bum is all soiled. She tries to clean herself, but she can not bend to reach this area. And she would not allow me to clean her with gauze or wipes. She growls. :(
She smell so foul.
Can I give her a mini-bath for this are only? Wipes can not clean it because some thing are hardened, and she is not cooperating. (Sorry. I know this is gross).

She seems to be eating fine. Only that her stool is so loose, and sticks around her bum and tail.
I'm now sticking to one food type only (orijen). I stopped all treats because it seems she started to get loose motion ever since I introduced them. But still no change.

Could stress be a reason? There is another cat, and when I open the door of her room, she hisses and growls at him.

Or could it be a sign of eminent labour? It has been several days since she got this diahrroea.

I can't take her to the vet until next week. And calling is not an option. where I live vets don't give phone consultations! You have to come and pat again :/

Any help will be appreciated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like a combination of factors. Stress, impending labor, and food changes.

Hopefully most of this will resolve after she has the kittens.

However, she may have parasites and need treating for that. Ask the vet for Albon. It should help.

In the meantime, try to keep your other cat away from the door if possible. Pregnant cats are very territorial. It’s an instinct to protect their young even before birth.

And finally, do give her a bath to clean her rear end. Use warm water and a mild dish soap. Have someone help so she can be held by the scruff while getting cleaned up. Have warm towels ready to dry her.

I would not squeeze her nipples anymore. Not all cats get milk before giving birth, but when they do, you’ll see dots of white crust. Squeezing is painful.

Be patient and let Mother Nature run its course here. It’s good she has her own room for now.

Consider adding wet food (chicken as first ingredient) to her diet. She needs it for nursing.

Thank you for taking her in! :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
growling means I don't like that. It's not as strong a protest as a swipe, so if she's only growling, she's appreciating the help, but not liking it. Sort of like when you have to have help and don't want it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a combination of factors. Stress, impending labor, and food changes.

Hopefully most of this will resolve after she has the kittens.

However, she may have parasites and need treating for that. Ask the vet for Albon. It should help.

In the meantime, try to keep your other cat away from the door if possible. Pregnant cats are very territorial. It’s an instinct to protect their young even before birth.

And finally, do give her a bath to clean her rear end. Use warm water and a mild dish soap. Have someone help so she can be held by the scruff while getting cleaned up. Have warm towels ready to dry her.

I would not squeeze her nipples anymore. Not all cats get milk before giving birth, but when they do, you’ll see dots of white crust. Squeezing is painful.

Be patient and let Mother Nature run its course here. It’s good she has her own room for now.

Consider adding wet food (chicken as first ingredient) to her diet. She needs it for nursing.

Thank you for taking her in! :)
Thank you. :)
Parasites, oh dear. I hope they are not contagious to humans, because some accidents did happen the room because of her unclean rear end. :S
I'll try to give her a wash tomorrow. I bought a dry shampoo today, but since it is safe to wash her, washing will work better.
I used to give her Sheba canned food, but she has gingivitis and tartar, so dry food in better for her. But I think I'll reintroduce Sheba since it has starch, which could assist in stopping the diahrrea.
Thanks again.

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
growling means I don't like that. It's not as strong a protest as a swipe, so if she's only growling, she's appreciating the help, but not liking it. Sort of like when you have to have help and don't want it.
Cool. I have not though of that. I though she hates me for doing that.
Thanks. :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In that case here's a bit more. If you do something she really hates, or if you're holding her and something frightens her she may lay down a row of scratches on you. She may try to climb up you and stand on your head (get to the highest available place - it's a cat thing.) This will not mean she hates you, or is angry with you, only that she's scared.

I've got six inch scars from decades ago. 'Twas but a moment's passion, dear, no lasting anger." They don't get how tight our skin is. Clean your scratches, make a cup of tea and wait for the bleeding to stop. Kit will come offer sympathy for the dreadful thing that happened to you. If she'd known you were fighting the good fight, she'd have been at your side. She'll keep an eye for the dastard in case he tries to sneak back inside again.

Now, if she shreds and disembowels you and dances on your moaning self, yeah, she hates you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T taty caty

Canned pumpkin is good for diarrhea. Make sure it is pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix. Give a teaspoon at a time.

Albon is a prescription medication that will help her diarrhea as well. It is safe to give during pregnancy.

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In that case here's a bit more. If you do something she really hates, or if you're holding her and something frightens her she may lay down a row of scratches on you. She may try to climb up you and stand on your head (get to the highest available place - it's a cat thing.) This will not mean she hates you, or is angry with you, only that she's scared.

I've got six inch scars from decades ago. 'Twas but a moment's passion, dear, no lasting anger." They don't get how tight our skin is. Clean your scratches, make a cup of tea and wait for the bleeding to stop. Kit will come offer sympathy for the dreadful thing that happened to you. If she'd known you were fighting the good fight, she'd have been at your side. She'll keep an eye for the dastard in case he tries to sneak back inside again.

Now, if she shreds and disembowels you and dances on your moaning self, yeah, she hates you.
Oh, now I'm scared. LOOOOL.

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
T taty caty

Canned pumpkin is good for diarrhea. Make sure it is pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix. Give a teaspoon at a time.

Albon is a prescription medication that will help her diarrhea as well. It is safe to give during pregnancy.
Great. Thank you very much. :)
I guess I need to take her to the vet since it's a prescription medicine.
I'm still waiting for her to nest, or show some signs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she still having diarrhea? Try calling the vet to see if you could pick it up, or bring in a stool sample for them to test.

taty caty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she still having diarrhea? Try calling the vet to see if you could pick it up, or bring in a stool sample for them to test.
Yes. (sigh)
I gave her a wash yesterday. She growled and tried to scratch ...etc Only to wake up this morning to see her bum soiled again :(
Still. I tried calling to fix an appointment. They are closed today because of the storm last night it seems.
\I tried to give her colloidal silver (natural antibiotic) in her water. She had one sip, nd refused to drink from the same bowel again.

Curiosacatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I get a reply because this hasnt been updated in a long time, but how is your cat now and what happend with her diarhea? Why im asking this is i see you started having problems with diarrhea ever since you started switching to rc baby and mother cat. My cat is now 7 weeks pregnant and i started mixing in royal canin mother and baby cat when she mated. Normally she gets royal canin instinctive. And she is dping fine on that. But 2 weeks ago she also started having diarrhea. And i did a lot of things but also cut back on the baby and mother cat. And now she seems fine? Do you think that food could have coused it?