Prednisone questions!!

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
whats the difference between prednisone and prednisolone? is one better than the other?
if i put my cat on it, can she start having other proteins again? right now shes on venison
whats the long term effects? im nervous it will cause diabetes.
is there any other effects? like loss of appetite or tiredness?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prednisone is a pro-drug that is converted to the active drug, prednisilone, in the liver. Except that cats don't do this conversion very well. For this reason, cats are usually prescribed prednisilone directly.

These are all questions for the vet because prednisilone does have risks and should not be given without vet consultation, prescription, and regular monitoring/testing for side effects. A high dose for a long period of time does carry the risk of diabetes.

Does she have a history of intolerance to other proteins? Is she doing well on venison right now and is it sustainable (supply, pocket book, her appetite for it)?

As far as I know, steroids won't cure an intolerance/allergy. If she's on an immuno-suppressive dose, it may prevent a reaction. But when the dose is reduced, the immune system will once again recognize proteins it has previously reacted to. The longer she has to be on steroids especially at higher immuno-suppressive doses, the greater the risk of long-term side effects. It's better to use them short-term to get her something sustainable and eventually taper the dose. Depending on the condition and the condition of the cat, she may be on some dose for the rest of her life. Or you may be able to get her through whatever she's currently going through and find the proteins that don't require suppressing her immune reaction.

You don't want to give pred without a veterinarian's approval and guidance. And it's better for her long-term health if you can come up with a plan to give it to her in the short-term and slowly taper her off of them. This you will also do with the vet because you don't want to stop giving steroids suddenly. Work with the vet to have a plan going on them and coming off of them, if it's possible, or to adjust the plan to a sustainable long-term dose.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Chelsea who has intestinal lymphoma is on prenisolone. For a number of reasons, we are not going further with her condition. She is on it for the rest of her life and any other side effect is secondary to what she already has.

It can increase the appetite and cause thirstiness. Definitely talk to the vet about this. In my experience, long term pred has too many possible complications especially if your cat has a number of years ahead of her which she hopefully does. There are long term effects which go beyond things like appetite which are more serious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shes doing much better on venison. shes on natural balance lid venison dry food. they discountinued the wet food (UGH!) so the next best thing is the Rc presciption venison wet food which is super crazy expensive. $80 for 24 pk. and i have to give her wet food daily for constipation meds, miralax and lactulose.
i just thoughht maybe if the prednisone will eliminate the problem completely and then just feed her cheaper wet food like friskies. and keep her on venison dry food. its just im on ssi. money is limited.
sounds like its just better to leave things the way it is and save prednisone for if and when her ibd gets worse.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's an explanation of steroids including the difference between prednisone and prednisolone here:

Common side effects are diabetes-like symptoms: increased hunger and thirst and urination. These are only temporary for a short course of steroids. Long term use (ie daily for months or more) of steroids can cause diabetes in some cats. Few IBD cats need to be on steroids daily long term.

Using steroids won't mean your cat can have all proteins with any reaction. If your cat has, say, a chicken allergy, sure you can feed chicken and your cat will happily eat it up but might still have flare ups even while on steroids.