Prednisolone Side Effect Question

DillandAnnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone - was wondering if anyone could offer insight/experience with prednisolone side effects.

My cat, Dillard, was on a short course of prednisolone for suspected allergies and possible asthma. He took the medication for probably about 3 weeks, with us tapering off the dose as indicated by our vet.

My question is regarding the side effects of the medication. Dillard had increased thirst during the prednisolone, which I know is common. However, he has been off the pred for a week now and continues to have increased thirst. Does anyone know how long it takes for these side effects to subside? The vet indicated he should go back to normal in about 1-2 weeks.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this. I'm a little nervous because I've read that steroids can cause diabetes. Dillard is a healthy weight and had bloodwork done last summer, which came out normal. I'm wondering if I should wait and see if his thirst goes away, or ask my vet for more guidance. It does seem like he's slowly drinking less over the course of the day since he's tapered off the meds.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, diabetic-like symptoms are common while on prednisolone. My cat's symptoms were increased thirst and urination and hunger. The symptoms decreased as the vet decreased the dose of pred and then were completely gone when the vet stopped the pred. For some cats, it may take a few days or so after stopping pred to see all the symptoms go away. You can ask the vet to check for diabetes (fructosamine test) but if that comes back normal, then drinking more water is just now your cat's norm :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Our cat is presently on prednisolone for a different diagnosis than your cat but like your cat the dosage and frequency has been lowered by our vet in order to properly wean him off. His side effects have been a mild increase in appetite, thirst, urination and fatigue. I would expect that since your vet has stopped the pred. you will see a gradual elimination of the side effects. I'm sure it is different for different cats depending on the diagnosis and dosage. Here is an article that you might find helpful:
Steroid Treatment - Effects in Cats

Please keep us posted on your cat's progress, fingers crossed the increased thirst subsides soon. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DillandAnnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the information! It helps to compare notes with others. :)

Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks since he's been off the pred. His thirst has decreased a bit since he was on the medication, but it still more than normal. Neely, I'm hoping that this is the gradual elimination of side effects you talked about.

I need to call the vet to schedule an appointment, so I'll touch base and see if they think this is something I should be more concerned about.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I need to call the vet to schedule an appointment, so I'll touch base and see if they think this is something I should be more concerned about.
Best of luck, please let us know about the results after your appointment.