Prednisolone Pen

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any experience using the transdermal pen to administer prednisolone? My cat has IBD and needs this med. I have been having the pred compounded to a liquid to administer, but my cat is getting more and more sensitive about this. The pen would be easier on him, but I am wondering if it works as well as other methods such as the compounded liquid. I can't find much with my google searches, so I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Thanks.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry I don't have any personal experience with this type of pen so bumping your post up. There are other TCS members on the site with IBD cats that may be able to weigh in and offer their support. I wish you the best of luck. :crossfingers:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loved her fruity flavored prednisolone! I put it in her food. Never heard of a pen

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It seems like a new product so few people in general have used it so far. Here's some info if anyone is interested:

Topi-CLICK Micro - Specialty Veterinary Compounding Pharmacy
GGVCP's New Transdermal Pen NOW Available - Golden Gate Veterinary Compounding Pharmacy

The company that makes the application device:

Topi-CLICK Micro® - DoseLogix
Topi-CLICK by DoseLogix

I wish they would come up with this for ALL cat meds!
Absorption through the skin is slow so a transdermal application (gel, this device, etc) will not work for all medicines. Some medicines need to be absorbed quickly in order to work correctly. Ingestion and injection are the fastest ways to get medicine into the body to work quickly.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried the pred pills? I gave my IBD cat the pills using bacon flavored pill dough.

Wedgewood Pharmacy has these options: Prednisolone Medication & Information for Animals, Wedgewood Pet RX, Wedgewood Pet RX The tiny tabs and flavored chewable treats would be easy to give. There's also regular transdermal gel. It's no different from using the Topi-Click pen device, IMO. The device just makes dosing more accurate.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never (yet?) used a transdermal for giving a med, but I do wonder if the clicking noise would cause a problem with the cat. Cats are pretty dang attentive and unless you make the medicine-giving a positive experience (love, hugs, and treats along with a recognizable pattern the cat can rely upon), that clicking noise can potentially make a cat run away and hide each time he/she hears it.

I don't know if this pen makes noises, but it could be an option if you do have a smartie pants cat react to clicking noises at medicine time:
Twist-a-Dose Transdermal Gel Applicator -Wedgewood Pet RX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the pred pills? I gave my IBD cat the pills using bacon flavored pill dough.

Wedgewood Pharmacy has these options: Prednisolone Medication & Information for Animals, Wedgewood Pet RX, Wedgewood Pet RX The tiny tabs and flavored chewable treats would be easy to give. There's also regular transdermal gel. It's no different from using the Topi-Click pen device, IMO. The device just makes dosing more accurate.
He is incredibly hard to give meds to. So far I have been having the pred made into a liquid to squirt down his throat. Its getting more and more difficult to do. I have tried putting in food (it is either chicken or fish flavored) and he won't touch it. I'm going on a long trip, and having a pet sitter stay with him because he is a sick cat and needs attention. She is new, and worried about giving him his med. She doesn't want him to hate her right off the bat. So she is the one who told me about the pen. I never heard of it until now. I want to do whatever I can to make things easier and better for everyone involved.

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never (yet?) used a transdermal for giving a med, but I do wonder if the clicking noise would cause a problem with the cat. Cats are pretty dang attentive and unless you make the medicine-giving a positive experience (love, hugs, and treats along with a recognizable pattern the cat can rely upon), that clicking noise can potentially make a cat run away and hide each time he/she hears it.

I don't know if this pen makes noises, but it could be an option if you do have a smartie pants cat react to clicking noises at medicine time:
Twist-a-Dose Transdermal Gel Applicator -Wedgewood Pet RX
This is exactly what I was thinking about getting for my cat!! But I can actually get it in town. My cat has an oncology doc, and she sells them in her office :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
He is incredibly hard to give meds to. So far I have been having the pred made into a liquid to squirt down his throat. Its getting more and more difficult to do. I have tried putting in food (it is either chicken or fish flavored) and he won't touch it. I'm going on a long trip, and having a pet sitter stay with him because he is a sick cat and needs attention. She is new, and worried about giving him his med. She doesn't want him to hate her right off the bat. So she is the one who told me about the pen. I never heard of it until now. I want to do whatever I can to make things easier and better for everyone involved.
My cat did not like the chicken or fish. Has he tried fruity flavored. She gobbles it up in her food

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Topi Click device does make a click noise. In fact, one of the web sites above has a video and say to turn the dial until it clicks. Maybe one can get the medicine ready in another room and then go apply it to the cat's ear? I've used a lancet device on a cat's ear before and the cat was never bothered by the click noise.

He is incredibly hard to give meds to.
So pills are completely out of the question, even with Pill Pockets and other pill hiding tricks? I'm guessing if the cat is now wary of medicine going into the mouth, chewable treats and the like might not be options either. If the cat likes having the ear rubs, I don't see how the pet sitter would have any trouble rubbing a bit of transdermal gel on the ear:think: Even with the device, the sitter would have to rub the medicine in.

Is boarding with the vet an option?

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Topi Click device does make a click noise. In fact, one of the web sites above has a video and say to turn the dial until it clicks. Maybe one can get the medicine ready in another room and then go apply it to the cat's ear? I've used a lancet device on a cat's ear before and the cat was never bothered by the click noise.

So pills are completely out of the question, even with Pill Pockets and other pill hiding tricks? I'm guessing if the cat is now wary of medicine going into the mouth, chewable treats and the like might not be options either. If the cat likes having the ear rubs, I don't see how the pet sitter would have any trouble rubbing a bit of transdermal gel on the ear:think: Even with the device, the sitter would have to rub the medicine in.

Is boarding with the vet an option?
Moe is incredibly finicky. He only likes one kind of treat believe it or not. He is fussy fussy, so if anything I feed him is slightly off, he will starve before eating it. Ugh. The pet sitter feels she will have no problem with the transdermal. I'm going away for 19 days....so I wouldn't board for that long. Honestly, I don't think I would board Moe for a day. He is incredibly spoiled and would be so scared being boarded which would make me miserable. He is also a chronically sick cat, so I try to reduce all stress as much as possible because it will cause him to get even sicker. This is why the pet sitter wanted the transdermal - to reduce as much stress as possible. Its so hard to travel when you have a 'special needs' fur baby at home :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give Krista transdermal buprenorphine sometimes. I have syringes that don't click. But she does know the medicine cabinet and syringes and she's catching on to what it means when Dad's approaching with a finger cot. Here's what I find works best for her. I get the finger cot (like a glove except for your finger tip) placed on, and loaded with medicine. Then I get her a treat. In her case, it's a fish flake. She can usually hear or smell (or both) the bag opening and she'll come to me. I set it down for her but I keep my finger on it. Oh she wants that fish flake so bad! I wait until I'm in position and ready to medicate her and then I let up on the fish flake and blot the inner ear and rub it in in more or less the same motion so that she's happily distracted (and rewarded) when I do it.

Maybe you can prepare a dose on a finger cot (and a distract-a-treat!) in a separate room to get past the whole clicking thing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:grouphug:

I would just do a regular transdermal gel then instead of messing with a potentially scary noisy device. Squeeze the appropriate amount of gel onto a q-tip or cotton ball or gloved finger in another room, find the cat and offer a few treats, and while the cat is eating, rub the medicine onto the ear. I really don't think the Topi Click device would make administering the medicine any easier. The sitter would still have to rub the end of the device on the ear to get the medicine onto the skin. Now many cats hide from strange people anyways so the sitter being able to find the cat and apply the medicine daily is another issue.

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great suggestions here. I didn't even know about the fingertip 'glove' to use for this. I'm going to try it, and use the suggestions of the glove and distraction with treats. Thank you all for these great suggestions!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With any transdermal gel, you want to apply the medicine with something to prevent your skin from absorbing the medicine. Finger cots are a good alternative to a glove. Just make sure they are the rubber type and not gauze.

kathyfrank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With any transdermal gel, you want to apply the medicine with something to prevent your skin from absorbing the medicine. Finger cots are a good alternative to a glove. Just make sure they are the rubber type and not gauze.

I ordered some tonight! :D