Prednisolone Making A Hangry Kitty

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is on Pred for asthma. I know one of the side effects is increased appetite, but this is crazy. She makes it seem like she hasn't eaten in days! Does anyone have suggestions for appeasing her without giving her more food? Before she was on Pred, she wouldn't really meow for food except when I was already preparing it. Now, it sounds like she's yelling at me! It doesn't really bother me, but I still want to make it stop for her sake. After she gobbles down her meal, she's looking for more. She'll stare at me or the counter and meoooooowwwww or she'll jump up on the counter searching for food (which does bother me)(she's doing it now, actually. She must know I'm writing about her!). Sometimes she'll actually get in my face. I try to ignore her but she's relentless.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you try some of these toppers? Some of them have less calories but might help to keep her from metaphorically chewing on the counters, so to speak...
  • Chicken or beef flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat gravy poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes are on the internet, look for some with goat milk)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat on pred too, but likely at a much lower dose than your girl (she's on it to keep a scar tissue type lump from blowing up). I've just accepted that she's going to be a little on the chunky side, kinda bordering on the healthy/overweight line (with veterinary approval, I should add ;) ).

As well as looking into toppers and low cal snacks, look at the calories in the food she's getting. I stick to the high meat/low carb wet foods, but go for the lower calorie ones of that type. There can be a surprising difference from brand to brand, and even line to line within a brand. Feeding a 100% wet food diet helps too, and you can always add a little water to add volume ;)

The other thing to look into is puzzle feeders or slow feeders. Some of these work better with dry food or treats (freeze dried Purebites type treats are a great low cal, non messy snack), and others work better with wet food. I've seen Likimats used frozen too - spread the paté food over it, maybe press a few broken freeze dried treats into the food for interest, then freeze. A great way for kitty to cool off in the heat, and will take quite a while for her to finish ;)
Amazon have a ton of slow and puzzle feeders of all types. Just have a look and see what your cat would like :)

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also have a cat on Pred who can be a food monster because of it. For her ideal weight, she should eat about 160 calories. Being on Pred means she demands about 180-190, and our vet is pretty okay with that.

As for tips...I found a food that my cat likes, but doesn't love, to leave out for snacks. It's the ZiwiPeak air-dried kibble. Because she doesn't love it, she doesn't immediately scarf it. But when she's truly hungry between regular meals, she'll eat some. And when she's whining for food, I add a small spoonful of the air-dried to the bowl. She thinks I fed her, but she doesn't eat much.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish I could offer something but my kitty is on pred TO gain weight. But she also doesn't seem like she's more interested in food while on it though. She's just eating better than she was before and we're crossing fingers it means she'll put on weight.

I think the other suggestions in here with puzzle feeders and keeping her preoccupied while she's eating will definitely help. Also seeing if your vet is okay with your cat gaining a little bit more weight while on it.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned on this site about canned pumpkin (plain not filling - no spices) that was being used as a method to help hydrate cats on certain diuretic type medications.

The side effect is that when I mix a bit with their food, they appear more satiated. Now the one cat, after mixing it in, I did have to trick into eating by adding a few crumbs on the top of Purebites dry salmon treat... because, of course, he knew I'd done something different - and well - he couldn't have that now could he. LOL

As far as I know, pumpkin is also a very low carb.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is on Pred for asthma. I know one of the side effects is increased appetite, but this is crazy. She makes it seem like she hasn't eaten in days! Does anyone have suggestions for appeasing her without giving her more food? Before she was on Pred, she wouldn't really meow for food except when I was already preparing it. Now, it sounds like she's yelling at me! It doesn't really bother me, but I still want to make it stop for her sake. After she gobbles down her meal, she's looking for more. She'll stare at me or the counter and meoooooowwwww or she'll jump up on the counter searching for food (which does bother me)(she's doing it now, actually. She must know I'm writing about her!). Sometimes she'll actually get in my face. I try to ignore her but she's relentless.
I have a cat on pred too, but likely at a much lower dose than your girl (she's on it to keep a scar tissue type lump from blowing up). ...

As well as looking into toppers and low cal snacks, look at the calories in the food she's getting. I stick to the high meat/low carb wet foods, but go for the lower calorie ones of that type. There can be a surprising difference from brand to brand
, and even line to line within a brand. Feeding a 100% wet food diet helps too, and you can always add a little water to add volume ...
My cat is on a small bit of daily Pred, plus usually just one (low) dose of Flovent/with the Aerokat, to control her asthma/allergies (allergic bronchitis, essentially).

I totally agree with Columbine Columbine , that one key to conquering The Hangry Pred Cat is to do your best to feed a diet as low in carbs as you can. Higher protein does help, with moderate fat, low carbs. Pred amps up the adrenals, essentially increasing the cortisol in the cat's system.

Milly has times of badgering me for food, but I really try to stick with a very regular, reliable food schedule, serve her several smaller meals daily (an equivalent of about 1-2 ounces per meal). Cats are creatures of habit and routine, so if you can do your best to keep to your food schedule each and every day, and not give food off-schedule, you might have more luck. Plus I rotate at least several types and brands of food each day. All foods in Milly's rotation (of the foods she will eat :rolleyes: ) have lower carbs, medium-to-high protein, but some have more fiber in them than others (fiber can help "fill" a cat up, make them feel less hungry, but you do not want to overdo the fiber!). I don't feed dry food. Provide fresh daily water, as usual.

I try not to go over a max amount of kcals per day, so I can keep her weight in check. She's doing pretty well. I also make sure she walks, runs, and plays each and every day, as exercise helps Pred kitties too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mayabear mayabear how are you making out with relentless hungry kitty?
Still trying to work it out a bit. Trying to give her mini meals, but she pretty much eats and comes over to me again.

I usually only give her wet food (wellness selects) but I’ve been giving her a little snack of dry food in a puzzle board. The cat activity board is pretty good: Trixie Activity Fun Board 5-in-1 Interactive Cat Toy, White
It distracts her if I need to eat - she will eat anything! She started to eat a baguette one day. I went outside for maybe 15-20 min (bc she wouldn’t let me eat in peace) and when I came back in, I could tell by her face that she did something naughty. Sure enough. Ate through the bag and everything (a huge hole!). She’s trying to get into the garbage now too. Good thing I have a lock. And I’m afraid she’s going to figure out how to open the cabinet where I keep the food (in a plastic container, but that doesn’t stop her). I have child proof locks, just in case.

I don’t have any children, but I feel like I’m chasing a toddler around sometimes.