Prednisolone doesn't increase eating? Advice wanted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick Mephi update!

SHE'S DOING GRRRREAAT!!:banana1:

Still hoovering around 3.8kg, though last week she was at 3.9kg and the weigh in is today (forgot yesterday, oops..). But she's doing really well. I'm so glad to have my sweet princess playful, eating well, and pooping normally! We're going to start a venture into raw soon and I hope she continues to do well on it. Her check up with the vet is on June 1- if all continues to go well we'll start weaning her off the pred. Until then it's 5mg/daily + 1/2 tbsp pumpkin.

Much love to all the kitties out there and their beloved parents. :hearthrob:

littlequeenie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new here but wanted to say how happy I am Mephi is doing so well. Such a beauty (she looks like my Cleo). I have a male cat diagnosed with either IBD or lymphoma but he seems to have a lot of diarrhea on pred so we are down to 2.5mg. I have been giving him a probiotic sprinkled on his food where I have crushed his pred into and he seems to love the taste. He is also on cerenia for nausea. We went thru xrays, ultrasound where they saw enlarged lymph nodes and put him under for an aspiration. He had god knows how much blood work and a swallow study because he is eating weird. When I took him home, it took him almost 2 days to stop hiding (except for some eating), he was on 2 different antibiotics, pain killer, cerenia and B12. He got explosive diarrhea so we stopped one of the antibiotics and the pain killer. I was supposed to bring him back a week later and decide what to do next. The aspiration biopsy was indeterminate. Blood work was pretty much normal. They wanted to do an open biopsy - they said we could do an endoscopy but it might not give us all we need to know. So I decided no more tests. That was a month ago. At that time I had spent more than $3000. I was not going to do open surgery - he had open abdominal surgery 3.5 years ago, had part of his intestines removed. Until just a couple of months ago he had done really really well. They told me he has a heart murmur and it would be risky to have him under general anesthesia for an open surgery so I just decided we would do our best to treat the symptoms.

I have never tried pumpkin. I might want to look into that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nevroth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm new here but wanted to say how happy I am Mephi is doing so well. Such a beauty (she looks like my Cleo). I have a male cat diagnosed with either IBD or lymphoma but he seems to have a lot of diarrhea on pred so we are down to 2.5mg. I have been giving him a probiotic sprinkled on his food where I have crushed his pred into and he seems to love the taste. He is also on cerenia for nausea. We went thru xrays, ultrasound where they saw enlarged lymph nodes and put him under for an aspiration. He had god knows how much blood work and a swallow study because he is eating weird. When I took him home, it took him almost 2 days to stop hiding (except for some eating), he was on 2 different antibiotics, pain killer, cerenia and B12. He got explosive diarrhea so we stopped one of the antibiotics and the pain killer. I was supposed to bring him back a week later and decide what to do next. The aspiration biopsy was indeterminate. Blood work was pretty much normal. They wanted to do an open biopsy - they said we could do an endoscopy but it might not give us all we need to know. So I decided no more tests. That was a month ago. At that time I had spent more than $3000. I was not going to do open surgery - he had open abdominal surgery 3.5 years ago, had part of his intestines removed. Until just a couple of months ago he had done really really well. They told me he has a heart murmur and it would be risky to have him under general anesthesia for an open surgery so I just decided we would do our best to treat the symptoms.

I have never tried pumpkin. I might want to look into that
Thank you L littlequeenie and WELCOME TO TCS!!

Goodness you've been on quite the adventure with your little boy. What is his name? He is very lucky to have you. :catrub:

When I was trying to figure out what type of food Meph would eat the pumpkin really helped to keep her stools regular in shape/consistency/frequency. Unsweetened pumpkin is safe for cats, so give it a shot!

If you haven't come across IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time I highly recommend it. There's also a yahoo group that I'm apart of for families with IBD kitties.

Good luck dear, the folks here at TCS are great and really saved my sanity.

Cat parents (slaves? lol) unite! :grouphug:

littlequeenie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you L littlequeenie and WELCOME TO TCS!!

Goodness you've been on quite the adventure with your little boy. What is his name? He is very lucky to have you. :catrub:

When I was trying to figure out what type of food Meph would eat the pumpkin really helped to keep her stools regular in shape/consistency/frequency. Unsweetened pumpkin is safe for cats, so give it a shot!

If you haven't come across IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time I highly recommend it. There's also a yahoo group that I'm apart of for families with IBD kitties.

Good luck dear, the folks here at TCS are great and really saved my sanity.

Cat parents (slaves? lol) unite! :grouphug:
yes, it has been a long road but you've been thru a lot with your little baby too!

His name is Barack, I adopted him during the 2008 campaign - :p - he is really smart, speaks (honestly!!) and is part black. He was 6 at the time, at the shelter for more than a year with 2 females from the same "family" - their owner had died. I got Barack (my first male cat) because I fell in love with little all black Cleo (2 years old at the time) and they were only available as a pair because he had become so depressed at the shelter, his mood only picked up with her. So I was signing the papers when the middle cat (now named Jezebel the cat from hell who was 4 at the time) showed up at the shelter's office's screen door, stretched out with her claws in the screen and SQUEEKED at me. I took all 3.

Jezebel, who has always adored Barack, has been nasty to him since he has been back from the vet which is really bothering me. It isn't quite as bad as it had been but honestly, it has been more than 4 weeks!!!

But he is finally doing better. He is only on 2.5mg prednisolone and half a tab of the cerenia - I think that's 2.5 mg too. And right now he is also getting B12 shot on Friday's. I am getting a new probiotic recommended by several people here as well as 2 different kinds of food recommended today. His poop is still soft, very soft, but formed. He is eating, though it doesn't seem as if he is not devouring his food like he was earlier when he was on 2.5mg. He could I suppose just be getting bored with the food. But the main thing is he seems a lot better and doesn't have explosive diarrhea. He is not completely back to where he was to maybe a month before I had taken him in. But he is older (15 years old about) and maybe won't ever get quite that frisky again.

I am saving that link on IBD you have there. Thanks. Hopefully he is now completely on the way back to recovery. I'll feel better when he grows his fur back - they shaved so much off for the ultrasound, it makes him look even scrawnier!

Yes, I've had a lot of help thru this site! I came across this by accident and I'm so glad I did! Now to get off my fat butt AND my laptop and start getting things done around here. We have a huge move to get ready for!

Thanks again

gatinos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick Mephi update!

SHE'S DOING GRRRREAAT!!:banana1:

Still hoovering around 3.8kg, though last week she was at 3.9kg and the weigh in is today (forgot yesterday, oops..). But she's doing really well. I'm so glad to have my sweet princess playful, eating well, and pooping normally! We're going to start a venture into raw soon and I hope she continues to do well on it. Her check up with the vet is on June 1- if all continues to go well we'll start weaning her off the pred. Until then it's 5mg/daily + 1/2 tbsp pumpkin.

Much love to all the kitties out there and their beloved parents. :hearthrob:
Yay!!! Wonderful news, I'm so glad to hear that. It gives us all hope when one kitty starts improving, thank you for sharing!