Predictions on cat colors??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These are purebreds, I presume.
How would you describe the coloring of momma? Im not good at recognizing colors of naked cats...

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the recessive genetics? Do either carry choc or cinnamon? Does mum carry non-agouti or dilute?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are purebreds, I presume.
How would you describe the coloring of momma? Im not good at recognizing colors of naked cats...
Yes they are purebred, The momma has stripes on the side of her face, on her legs, and on her belly. And she has a little bit of tortie like markings. I attched a photo of her body and face

Attachments

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are the recessive genetics? Do either carry choc or cinnamon? Does mum carry non-agouti or dilute?
I’m not fimiliar with cat genetics, could you give me a short summary?

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they are purebred, The momma has stripes on the side of her face, on her legs, and on her belly. And she has a little bit of tortie like markings. I attched a photo of her body and face
Here’s another picture (she looks really small but I promise she’s full size lol)

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m not fimiliar with cat genetics, could you give me a short summary?
The starting question was, what are the dilute genes they may carry, to your knowledge... The usual with purebreds cats owners do know this; or at least, the breeders do know this, knowing exactly the ancestors and their looks in several generations.

The genetics as such are the usual... Dominant genes are visible on the kids; recessive genes not visible on child, unless the same or similiar dilute gene is coming from both momma and daddy...

Beint point ("siamese-mix"), being longhair, being diluted are three typical examples of recessive and common genes.
Diluted is; if you are black or blue; red or creme..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here’s another picture (she looks really small but I promise she’s full size lol)
I notice spots on belly. I dont see clearly no M on the forehead, but these spots on belly and paws makes me think, she is a tabby too? Ie what is called for a torbie? (as said, Im no good on naked cats)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, so lets presume she is a diluted tortie, and also a tabby. A "diluted torbie"... She being verry sweet we dont need to presume, she absolutely is. :)

So, both parents carry the diluted gene, because both are blue. Momma is a torbie, and momma carries red.
They are both homozygots for the diluted gene (the genes in question doubled up), but its not clear if the are homozygots or heterozygots for the other properties.

IF momma is homozygot for tabby; ALL her childs will be tabbies / torbies too; if she is heterozygot (just one gene in the pair); about half will be tabbies / torbies.

Daughters will tend to be torties / torbies...

Boys will be solid blue or blue tabbies ("grey tabbies"). Someone may be creme tabby. (red / creme are always tabbies; but some are this for real genetically; while others have strong ghost markings)

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah diluted torbie sounds about right! Is there any chance of a black kitten? We will be getting her spayed after this litter but we were hoping to get a black kitten from this litter, they’re so beautiful but they go from 3-5k which is a lot to pay up front :( hopefully she has a boy tho! Because I adore blue sphynx aswell. We have 2 girls and the male isn’t mine

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, so lets presume she is a diluted tortie, and also a tabby. A "diluted torbie"... She being verry sweet we dont need to presume, she absolutely is. :)

So, both parents carry the diluted gene, because both are blue. Momma is a torbie, and momma carries red.
They are both homozygots for the diluted gene (the genes in question doubled up), but its not clear if the are homozygots or heterozygots for the other properties.

IF momma is homozygot for tabby; ALL her childs will be tabbies / torbies too; if she is heterozygot (just one gene in the pair); about half will be tabbies / torbies.

Daughters will tend to be torties / torbies...

Boys will be solid blue or blue tabbies ("grey tabbies"). Someone may be creme tabby. (red / creme are always tabbies; but some are this for real genetically; while others have strong ghost markings)
If this helps at all I have pictures of her parents and her mates parents . The Tortie on the couch is the males mom and the blackish cat is the males father. The seal point female is my girls mom and the white male is her dad. Hope this can make it easier :)

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its a little surprising your momma to be is not white, because white is verry dominant. The explanation is, he apparently isnt not homozygot in white. but I presume some of momma´s littermates are white.
So, the white gene hasnt apparently not gone on into her. But there may be other; white means really terra incognita; because white being so strong does cover upp all other colors... The diluted gene and red are my suggestions.

So grandma is a point, probably seal point... Yet she whould be carrier of diluted gene for momma to become diluted.
And momma we know is a carrier of the point gene... If daddy to be too happens to be a carrier of point gene; there should be some pointed kitten.

If he isnt no carrier, none of their children will be pointed; but half will carry the point gene.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So basically they can be almost any color? Lol

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its a little surprising your momma to be is not white, because white is verry dominant. The explanation is, he apparently isnt not homozygot in white. but I presume some of momma´s littermates are white.
So, the white gene hasnt apparently not gone on into her. But there may be other; white means really terra incognita; because white being so strong does cover upp all other colors... The diluted gene and red are my suggestions.

So grandma is a point, probably seal point... Yet she whould be carrier of diluted gene for momma to become diluted.
And momma we know is a carrier of the point gene... If daddy to be too happens to be a carrier of point gene; there should be some pointed kitten.

If he isnt no carrier, none of their children will be pointed; but half will carry the point gene.
And yes most of her litter mates were white, I think it was only her and 1 other kitten with those kind of markings

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm her being a torbie is interesting if her dad was white and mom was a seal point. Usually one of the parents has to have orange. Is the colouring in her coat orange?

I would say no chance of a black kitten since both carry the dilute gene.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm her being a torbie is interesting if her dad was white and mom was a seal point. Usually one of the parents has to have orange. Is the colouring in her coat orange?

I would say no chance of a black kitten since both carry the dilute gene.
The all white daddy wasnt not homozygot. So he surely carried the red / orange gene, and so some of children got it.