Praziquantel/droncit Cause Diarrhea In Cats

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat received an injection this morning and now has large amounts of foamy diarrhea.She had a shot a couple of months ago and that did not happen..
Thanks for any replies.. I am very concerned.Also has anyone used Diatomaceous earth as a worm/flea preventative in their cats?

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with the medication your referring to in the shot, but I can comment on D earth for flea prevention. I tried the food grade when we had an infestation earlier this year and it didn't do much. I've heard of your patient and let it sit in carpet or floor for a month or longer it had been known to be effective but we couldn't wait that long. We ended up using a growth regulator flea spray and vacuuming twice daily (put vacuum outdoor after using it) and we had our under control in roughly 3 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with the medication your referring to in the shot, but I can comment on D earth for flea prevention. I tried the food grade when we had an infestation earlier this year and it didn't do much. I've heard of your patient and let it sit in carpet or floor for a month or longer it had been known to be effective but we couldn't wait that long. We ended up using a growth regulator flea spray and vacuuming twice daily (put vacuum outdoor after using it) and we had our under control in roughly 3 weeks.
My daughter gives it (a small amount daily) to her cats in their wet food as a worm preventative.I was concerned about it dehydrating them, as cats do not drink as much water ,as they should. But she said that she and many that she knows do that.They never see worms. I have two outdoor cats and even with using Revolution on them,still seeing worms ,from the fleas.Vet said a cat can get tapeworms from grooming and swallowing a dead flea.So it's an ongoing challenge to keep the worms away.So far not working with the shot every other month and Revolution.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I'd be curious to find out whether this medication is effective on worms as well. We've had a record flea season in the south and I don't think our cats will ever truly be flea free until winter( hopefully).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harrys mom 02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I'd be curious to find out whether this medication is effective on worms as well. We've had a record flea season in the south and I don't think our cats will ever truly be flea free until winter( hopefully).
This seems to work well for her cats.The vet assistant has a farm and said they sprinkle it on the chicken feed to prevent lice/fleas.