Prayers For My Little Boy Please

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone;

I’ll try to give you the coles notes version, since this is loooong. ;)

I have a 7 year old ragdoll boy who was in perfect health until November of last year (2016). He got suddenly ill, vomiting, and long story short he ended up needing surgery and a bowel resection. The surgeon said that a “ligament” had wrapped itself around Clancy’s bowel. (He said it was the weirdest thing he’d ever seen.) Clancy also had a liver biopsy because the surgeon suspected some kind of liver disease, but results came back normal.

Anyway, after a month of healing from the surgery, Clancy started to throw up his food. I figured out that somehow the resection made his digestion very sensitive (scar tissue maybe?) and that he now can only eat small amounts at one time. I altered his food accordingly. That, plus daily laxatone, fixed the problem.

Fast-forward two weeks ago, when he just stopped eating and pooping (but wasn’t throwing up). After a week of this he ended up in the emergency hospital for the weekend. Blood work was unremarkable, but the x-rays showed slight constipation and possibly gas. Clancy had a enema and was put on IV pain meds, an appetite stimulant, pepcid, and fluids. They x-rayed him again after his poop, and detected “gas" or something kind of “odd." The hospital recommended ultrasound, but unfortunately it’s not in the budget. We came home and there was really no improvement.

I finally asked for a consult with a radiologist to have a look at the blood work and rads. A long shot, but I figured the radiologist might see something the vets didn’t. My vet sent the file with xrays to the radiologist’s office on Monday morning and waited. After not hearing word and seeing Clancy’s condition not improve, I decided to put him down this morning (Thursday). I have a mobile vet and arranged for her to come over.

Just as my vet was about to sedate Clancy for euthanasia, the phone rang. It was the radiologist (talk about an 11th-hour reprieve). She called to say that she couldn’t open the file my vet sent her. We got the emerg hospital to send the file directly and 10 minutes later the radiologist phoned us back.

The radiologist thought that the xray showed effusion, or fluid buildup, and suggested that Clancy might have a mild case of pancreatitis. The blood test was normal for that measure, but acc. to the radiologist, sometimes that happens. Anyhow, she suggested we try a few days of prednisone to see if that would help.

So Clancy narrowly missed going to kitty heaven, at least until Monday.

Pray that he does well on the prednisone!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow, sending mega Vibes and Prayers that the prednisone kicks in and reduces any inflammation that is there.
You may have to try Assist Feeding Clancy, if he's still not eating, just to get him to eat on his own again.
A member here, mentioned using Hill's I/D canned food versus the Critical Care A/D, since it is less fattening and more for sensitive systems. I hope your Clancy turns the corner, and starts feeling better.

Does the Vet and Radiologist think that a few days is enough, to see results?
Did the Vet prescribe any type of antibiotic, if there were some type of fluid infection or sepsis, happening?
Or perhaps the prednisolone will take care of that.
All the Health Vibes are being sent your way for Clancy. :vibes::vibes::vibes::caticon: :alright: :hugs: :hugs:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so glad you got the call in time!
Our "paws" are crossed for Clancy and you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow, sending mega Vibes and Prayers that the prednisone kicks in and reduces any inflammation that is there.
You may have to try Assist Feeding Clancy, if he's still not eating, just to get him to eat on his own again.
A member here, mentioned using Hill's I/D canned food versus the Critical Care A/D, since it is less fattening and more for sensitive systems. I hope your Clancy turns the corner, and starts feeling better.

Does the Vet and Radiologist think that a few days is enough, to see results?
Did the Vet prescribe any type of antibiotic, if there were some type of fluid infection or sepsis, happening?
Or perhaps the prednisolone will take care of that.
All the Health Vibes are being sent your way for Clancy. :vibes::vibes::vibes::caticon: :alright: :hugs: :hugs:
Thanks Cat Nap!

Funny you mention assist feeding, because the vet at the emergency hospital poo-pooed the idea, saying she thought it just made cats food-adverse (which is weird considering that death isn’t exactly a better option.)

The vet and radiologist thought that within 48 hours of prednisone Clancy would begin to show improvement. I’ve got enough med until Monday, and my vet and I made another appt to review how he’s doing. That gives Clancy 4 days of prednisone, so fingers crossed.

They didn’t prescribe an antibiotic, presumably because he has no fever or no other indication of infection.

thanks for caring!:hearthrob:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Cat Nap!

Funny you mention assist feeding, because the vet at the emergency hospital poo-pooed the idea, saying she thought it just made cats food-adverse (which is weird considering that death isn’t exactly a better option.)

The vet and radiologist thought that within 48 hours of prednisone Clancy would begin to show improvement. I’ve got enough med until Monday, and my vet and I made another appt to review how he’s doing. That gives Clancy 4 days of prednisone, so fingers crossed.

They didn’t prescribe an antibiotic, presumably because he has no fever or no other indication of infection.

thanks for caring!:hearthrob:
That emergency Vet's advice sounds awful. Sure, a cat can possibly become 'food-adverse' if they are feeling sick, and the particular food they are tasting, is not all that appealing,...but you are absolutely right,...the alternative is hepatic lipidosis, or death from no nutrition. (I think that ER Vet would give me a headache.)

I was hoping that Clancy was on prednisolone, and not prednisone, since the former version is a little easier for our cats to absorb. Prednisolone for Veterinary Use
Just ask you Vet about this on Monday.
If you feel that your own Vet is not very versed in pancreatitis, and its treatment, then perhaps a second opinion by a feline only vet would be better. Idk, you know your own cat the best, and it's obvious that you've done so much for him.

Sending continued Health Vibes, and Prayers, for your Clancy. :vibes::vibes::vibes::caticon: :hugs:

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat Nap;

Yes it is prednisolone. :)

On a positive note, Clancy went to his food dish three times this evening to munch. :hyper:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Cat Nap;
Yes it is prednisolone. :)
On a positive note, Clancy went to his food dish three times this evening to munch. :hyper:
:woo::woohoo: Yay. Excellent. :jive:
Sending continued Vibes and Prayers. You keep doing what you're doing Clancy. :bluepaw: :touched:

Butterscotch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone;
So sorry to hear what your 4-legged son is so ill. We will pray for Clancy.
I’ll try to give you the coles notes version, since this is loooong. ;)

I have a 7 year old ragdoll boy who was in perfect health until November of last year (2016). He got suddenly ill, vomiting, and long story short he ended up needing surgery and a bowel resection. The surgeon said that a “ligament” had wrapped itself around Clancy’s bowel. (He said it was the weirdest thing he’d ever seen.) Clancy also had a liver biopsy because the surgeon suspected some kind of liver disease, but results came back normal.

Anyway, after a month of healing from the surgery, Clancy started to throw up his food. I figured out that somehow the resection made his digestion very sensitive (scar tissue maybe?) and that he now can only eat small amounts at one time. I altered his food accordingly. That, plus daily laxatone, fixed the problem.

Fast-forward two weeks ago, when he just stopped eating and pooping (but wasn’t throwing up). After a week of this he ended up in the emergency hospital for the weekend. Blood work was unremarkable, but the x-rays showed slight constipation and possibly gas. Clancy had a enema and was put on IV pain meds, an appetite stimulant, pepcid, and fluids. They x-rayed him again after his poop, and detected “gas" or something kind of “odd." The hospital recommended ultrasound, but unfortunately it’s not in the budget. We came home and there was really no improvement.

I finally asked for a consult with a radiologist to have a look at the blood work and rads. A long shot, but I figured the radiologist might see something the vets didn’t. My vet sent the file with xrays to the radiologist’s office on Monday morning and waited. After not hearing word and seeing Clancy’s condition not improve, I decided to put him down this morning (Thursday). I have a mobile vet and arranged for her to come over.

Just as my vet was about to sedate Clancy for euthanasia, the phone rang. It was the radiologist (talk about an 11th-hour reprieve). She called to say that she couldn’t open the file my vet sent her. We got the emerg hospital to send the file directly and 10 minutes later the radiologist phoned us back.

The radiologist thought that the xray showed effusion, or fluid buildup, and suggested that Clancy might have a mild case of pancreatitis. The blood test was normal for that measure, but acc. to the radiologist, sometimes that happens. Anyhow, she suggested we try a few days of prednisone to see if that would help.

So Clancy narrowly missed going to kitty heaven, at least until Monday.

Pray that he does well on the prednisone!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hoping things get better. Sending you healing vibes!!

Pancreatitis is very painful. The gold standard of treatment is:
Sub Fluids/IV fluids
Pain meds
Antinausea meds (Cerenia)
Antibiotics for infection in the pancreatitis
sometimes pred to help with inflammation instead of pain meds
Pepcid A/D for acid buildup-this is sometimes helpful
Food!
Appetite stimulants If pred doesn't work

The hardest part is TIME. Time to let whatever is going on in the pancreas to run it's course but yes you will want to syringe feed IF he stops eating; some foods to try:
A/D canned from vet
meat babyfood Beechnut/Gerber have 4-5 flavors-check make sure no onion/garlic
Plain boiled chicken
Meat broth-cook bones to make bone broth-some cats love this
Rotisserie chicken with no skin/bones=it's mostly to tempt to eat on own= yes sodium can be an issue=but when nothing else works=sometimes this is what works
low sodium deli meat.
Fancy Feast pate foods=add water-mash with fork to make a slurry (My girl LOVED this)
any pate style canned food will work too.

Oftentimes their tummies hurt and the thought of eating makes them nauseated. We know how we feel when we have tummy ache and don't even want to smell the food. Cerenia helps greatly with this. Sub fluids help keep fluids going. Sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks of intensive care of the above items to get them over the hump.

There is a blood test that detects this-but my cat never scored on it and she definitely had it according to ultrasound. Sub fluids. and injections of Cerenia were a life safer. she would only eat kibble out of my hand during this time. Some cats don't vomit=my cat didn't during that time but she had prior to the flareup.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have you and Clancy on my "candle list" for extra thoughts and prayers, and you will remain there until. Having gone through pancreatitis with Hekitty, I get how difficult this is. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: and:grouphug: to you both!

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Foxxycat--

Clancy is doing alot better today. He’s eating and getting back to his old self. Question for you: typically how long does this last? How long do you keep them on the pred?

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks so much Butterscotch. He’s doing so much better now that he has the pred.!

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:woo::woohoo: Yay. Excellent. :jive:
Sending continued Vibes and Prayers. You keep doing what you're doing Clancy. :bluepaw: :touched:
Thanks!

This morning he waiting for his breakfast/ dinner treat of plain baby food (he’s got kibble but always gets a wet main meal) and gobbled it up! His pain is under control too--he gets a syringe every 12 hours, and doesn’t seem to even need that.
I’ve been asking people how long pancreatitis lasts, with successful treatment. Ideas?

Clancy's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

Clancy is doing so much better today.

Last night he went to his food dish three times to munch. This is about 6 or so hours after his pred. I have him his pepcid and pain med about 1:00 a.m., but he didn’t seem to be in huge discomfort (was lounging beside getting cuddles)--it was more preventative, in that I didn’t want him getting into trouble overnight.

This morning, he ate his baby food treat and again ate dinner.

He’s currently on the pred once daily, the appetite stimulant every 48 hours, pepcid every 12 hours, pain meds every 12 hours, and his usual laxatone in the morning.

I’m really hoping that we’re on a positive trajectory. And to think he was literally moments away from euthanasia. :fuming:

Butterscotch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Foxxycat--

Clancy is doing alot better today. He’s eating and getting back to his old self. Question for you: typically how long does this last? How long do you keep them on the pre
Update:

Clancy is doing so much better today.

Last night he went to his food dish three times to munch. This is about 6 or so hours after his pred. I have him his pepcid and pain med about 1:00 a.m., but he didn’t seem to be in huge discomfort (was lounging beside getting cuddles)--it was more preventative, in that I didn’t want him getting into trouble overnight.

This morning, he ate his baby food treat and again ate dinner.

He’s currently on the pred once daily, the appetite stimulant every 48 hours, pepcid every 12 hours, pain meds every 12 hours, and his usual laxatone in the morning.

I’m really hoping that we’re on a positive trajectory. And to think he was literally moments away from euthanasia. :fuming:
I am so happy the little man is doing better. There is nothing more terrifying than to have a sick baby who can't speak to tell you what's wrong.