Pray For My Wallet, But Here’s My Boy!

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I did it. I adopted my first purebred kitten! I saw this kitten and my boyfriend and I knew right away, he would fit in well. The charm of bsh cats and kittens is real. So I could somehow justify paying the heafty fee for him, and knew he would work out well as a partner for my bsh mix girl. I’m now starting to doubt that statement but it could just be my impatience. With pistachio and peanut, it only took a few hours before the hissing stopped, but now the growling and hissing hasn’t gone away in 24 hours. I’m wondering if he is just insecure? He won’t let me hold him yet and he runs away. I attribute this to his breeder not being good with socializing the kittens. Any tips on how to make them closer?

Here he is!
D740DEF4-1E2B-4524-8BEE-2DE99CF99DE4.jpeg
BAB0A67C-E947-425D-90B1-CEF1E397CD18.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congratulations! He's paws-itively adorable. :catlove:

You may have already read these, but I'll post links to some TCS articles that might have tips for you.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

And this recent thread, just to show that every cat is different.
What Was Your Cat's Behavior Like In The First Day?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be patient with the kitten and don't grab at him ever. A lot of kittens (well, with rescued ferals anyway) you can't pet much at first, except when they are sleepy, but if you let the kitten be the boss, it will expand quickly. And of course, you can lure them in with treats and toys. Have no idea if most home raised kittens are different, I've mostly rescued, but I'm firmly of the belief that if a kittens seems uncomfortable being picked up its best not too -- the proper handling thing is for younger kittens I think.

Is that a blue eyed white kitten? Are BSH cats of this color/eye color outside the prevalence of deafness that hits many such cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just be patient with the kitten and don't grab at him ever. A lot of kittens (well, with rescued ferals anyway) you can't pet much at first, except when they are sleepy, but if you let the kitten be the boss, it will expand quickly. And of course, you can lure them in with treats and toys. Have no idea if most home raised kittens are different, I've mostly rescued, but I'm firmly of the belief that if a kittens seems uncomfortable being picked up its best not too -- the proper handling thing is for younger kittens I think.

Is that a blue eyed white kitten? Are BSH cats of this color/eye color outside the prevalence of deafness that hits many such cats?
He is actually a chinchilla silver tipped bsh. His eyes are bluish green, and he is for sure not deaf lol. When we open the door, he runs underneath the sofa and he responds to the sound of a bell. I’ve been picking him up periodically, because I heard that the hiss and kiss thing from kitten lady worked, and a few times when I was holding him he purred. Its tearing me down a bit mentally because he is so so frieghtened but so cute and I just want him to love me lol. Even though i know it’s not realistic for all cats, especially cats that aren’t well socialized. I’m in china currently and their cats aren’t well socialized. They don’t get socialization here. It only took my female two days to warm up, but now I think it could be because he is also not comfortable around our female kitten. He growls at her a lot. He doesn’t hiss at us or scratch when we have handled him, which lets me know there is hope and that he is likely frightened.
0EF0AAD2-711A-48DD-9B9A-1CD00A8EB975.jpeg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Super cute for sure; I like the patches under eyes. Since I'm a bad namer, that would have likely been the name lol.

Personally, I'd back off a bit and go at his pace. I just don't think, once they are old enough for adoption, that holding them against their wishes teaches them its nice. I think it teaches them that you cause them stress. Get him to come up to you with a treat, or play with him with a toy.

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great Cat! He is going to be one hell of a Meow-nificient cat! Congratulations.

I have adopted 2 idiots recently & I can tell you let the guy do stuff his own way, don't force the issue at all. My smaller cat - Luke - has a disposition like your cat. He does not appreciate cuddles or picking up or pats, he loathes it. While his brother just takes it philosophically & lets me cuddle him till I go over-board.

I generally let him alone, as he makes a good companion for Bruce, but now, Luke is following Bruce in sleeping in my lap. I pet him a bit when he is asleep & I can see that he enjoys it. However, I do not attempt anything when he is up. We have got a working relation this way.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a precious face - he looks so inviting! Since he is insecure, I would confine him to a much smaller area until he establishes a "base camp". He needs his own territory where he can feel safe. As he grows in confidence, he will expand his boundaries. He has likely interpreted the other kitten's hissing as signs of a hostile environment.