Pour On Ivermectin

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever used pour on ivermectin (5 mg/ml) on their cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine asked, so I said I would look into it. :) Thanks for the link. Have you seen this one? I thought it had some good info in it.
Proper use of Ivermectin in Cats

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's a useful link - thanks! Fortunately, heartworm isn't yet a problem in dogs or cats in Germany, but some rescues brought in from southern Europe have it, so it's only a question of time before it becomes endemic. I'm more familiar with ivermectin being used to treat mites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We use it by injection, topically, or orally for poultry mites and lice, and the horses just get the paste orally. Too hard to use the proper amount of 1% injectable on dogs, so the dog just gets her monthly chewable.

Interestingly, I did find a reference to someone that was using the *swine* injectable topically on their cats. The injectable they mentioned was 0.27%.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heartworm isn't yet a problem in dogs or cats in Germany, but some rescues brought in from southern Europe have it, so it's only a question of time before it becomes endemic.
Not necessarily, as it isn't common in all areas of the US. It depends on the weather. If the temp drops below 50 degrees (10 c) in any 2-week period, that keeps the heartworm larvae from developing inside the mosquito. So heartworm will never become common in areas with weather like that most of the year. In tropical/sub-tropical areas though, it will always be a problem :/.

I've used the 1% injectable solution to treat ear mites in cats---1 drop per ear, topically. And I also use it to prevent heartworms for the dogs, they're large dogs so they can get .1 cc monthly. But it's so concentrated that it needs to be diluted for internal use in cats and small dogs so I haven't explored other uses yet. I've heard some farmers will put a certain amount out in milk (an amount calculated per cat and per kitten) to treat farm cats for mites, fleas, and internal parasites but I'm not certain of the dosage they use.