Poultry Free Canned Food Options?

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
So, my cat has a poultry allergy. I don’t like to order food online in the big cases because he gets bored of eating the same thing over and over, and I notice he eats with less gusto or picks at his food.

I’ve noticed lately he’s seemed bored with his options. I’m currently feeding him Wellness Beef and Salmon, Candiae Trout and Mackeral, and Lotus Pork Pates. What can I get easily in stores to freshen up his meals?

Theres Pet Supplies Plus, Petsmart, and Petco around me as well as a more speciality food store with some different options. I like the big 12.5 cans, but I’m open to 5.5 oz if they’re not super pricey and high cal. (At least 200 cal, no more than $2.50 a can). I spend about $50-55 a month on food for him now and want to keep it in that range. He eats half a 12 oz can a day or one 5.5 oz with some dry food.

Grain free is preferred but not a dealbreaker (since I rotate anyway).

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Koha is an affordable brand that has lots of novel proteins like kangaroo, guineafowl, and venison. They also have excellent customer service.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Koha is an affordable brand that has lots of novel proteins like kangaroo, guineafowl, and venison. They also have excellent customer service.
I’ve heard of them...I’m holding off on the truly novel proteins though in case he develops some other allergy and has no other choice but to eat them.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard of them...I’m holding off on the truly novel proteins though in case he develops some other allergy and has no other choice but to eat them.
Are you looking for other proteins to feed besides beef, fish, and pork, or are you just looking into different brands with these proteins?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

_spadekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you looking for other proteins to feed besides beef, fish, and pork, or are you just looking into different brands with these proteins?
Just looking into different brands/flavors with either beef, venison, fish, or pork as the main protein.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just looking into different brands/flavors with either beef, venison, fish, or pork as the main protein.
Sometimes when I am looking for a new brand of food I use Dr. Pierson's food chart and just scroll through the names and food types. It's helpful because you can look at the protein/fat/carbs amounts too at the same time. You might do a search through the document for the proteins you are looking for.

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try this thread: Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food

How about rabbit and lamb? They're not too "novel". Nature's Variety has these plus beef and vension that are poultry-free. You can also buy the NV Instinct Orignals and LID for dogs and feed it to your cat. It's the exact same formula and there is a 13.2 oz can size.

The only pork canned food I know of is Hounds and Gatos.

Addiction has a vension canned food but it's also heavy on fruits and veggies.

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat had such a severe allergy to chicken/grain that he ended up having his leg amputated. I found only two canned/dry foods that had absolutely no chicken in them. One our cat wouldn't touch, the other is Natural Balance Salmon and pea. Hes not crazy about it, but will eat it. I buy it at PetSmart, and Chewy online.