Potty problems:

geodevos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted this reply to a member with a kitten diarrhea issue. It's a fix that worked so well for me I want to share it as widely as possible.
My elderly (15 and 16) cat gang of four shares several potty boxes. I kept finding one watery bloody deposit with no easy way to figure out who it was. I also noticed dry rock hard poops which is a problem of older cats and a sign of constipation. To deal with the constipation I started adding un-flavored psyllium husk to their food. The hard poos became normal as expected but, (SURPRISE), the bloody diarrhea disappeared too. I never figured out which cat had the bleed problem but it is gone for a year now and never happens anymore. The psyllium husk cured both diarrhea and constipation. It normalized both problems and I never fail to add it to their meals. They get about a quarter teaspoon twice a day shared among four cats. I got NOW brand psyllium husk powder from Amazon. It's human grade and I take it myself on occasion. Psyllium can be bought almost anywhere. My first batch was from Walmart but all theirs was flavored. I hated the flavored stuff and the cats rejected it. They don't mind the un-flavored stuff. Please try this very cheap harmless remedy before anything else.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad it worked! I am guessing that psyllium husk must be like canned, unflavored pumpkin. I have read about it being used for both diarrhea and constipation. Maybe it has something to do with its cholesterol lowering properties, or more likely just the idea that helps with gastrointestinal disturbances in general?! I will be interested in seeing other members have to say and if this has been the case for them as well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for posting this! Like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , I had heard of pumpkin being used for both...although how the pumpkin knows which one to treat is a mystery to me! Every little bit of information is good to have, and this will be a real boon to those whose cats just won't have anything to do with pumpkin!