potty habits

Lakek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

So I am having problems with my two year old cat. Ever since I got my new kitten (4 months ago) she has started peeing on my clothes or anything that really smells like me. I do not think it’s a health issue, she doesn’t have problems peeing in her 2 litter boxes that are cleaned regularly. And she only pees on my stuff here and there. And usually with a uti theres constant peeing and in small amounts and she’s not constantly peeing and when she does pee on my stuff there’s a pretty good amount. Her and my new kitten get along pretty well, they’re constantly playing and chasing each other and she grooms the kitten everyday. I’m just thinking this is territorial since she is very fond of my. Side note: she is getting taken to the vet to rule anything out

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is marking your belongings as hers. Because she loves you and although things seem to be going great, she is somewhat stressed about the newcomer. The best thing to do is to make sure all clothes are picked up and put in a hamper, shoes in a closet, coats hung high. etc. she will stop marking when she fully accepts the little one. If she goes in one spot, you can get some clear carpet runner with those little nubs in the back and put it nub side up where she goes. It hurts their feet to walk there and it works. Get a good enzyme cat urine cleaner so the kitten doesn't start peeing too. There are 'calming' supplements on Amazon that may help, I gave much less than the recommended dose and it did help with vet visits. Try to keep in mind it won't be forever, the worst I had was a male marking for a year, others usually for a few months. all the luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had a cat that territorial marked, so I can't offer any suggestions other than to ensure you use an enzyme cleaner when you launder the clothes.

Also, a vet visit is always a good idea, just to rule out an UTI or anything else.

You may have already read these, but here's a couple TCS articles on the topic:
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens | TheCatSite

Good luck. Let us know what the vet says.