Potty Accidents After Surgery - Please Tell Me Will Return To Normal!

sunshi500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oreo (15yrs) had surgery on Wednesday last week to remove 3 growths on her back, and ended up needing a tooth removed. She pooped and peed in the litterbox right when we got home just fine, and pee a couple times after. Friday night she peed all over the towel she was laying on. I feel like the body suit constricted her too much and freaked her out. After we had taken it off, she pooped in the box. We rigged up a baby onesie that just slides over her midsection without the leg holes. It was working OK but does slide a bit. She had peed in the box, but no poop until I just found a pile on the gym mat she always lays on this morning, and a tiny amount in the litter box. I took the suit off and am trying the soft cone again. I'm hoping it was just the suit restricting her? Or maybe bc we had to abruptly switch to wet food bc of the unexpected tooth surgery? She won't eat her kibble if it's soaked and mushy. Please tell me she will go back to normal and if there's anything else I can do to encourage her to use the box! We have 9 more days until stitches come out.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the box very low sided? You might try substituting with litter poured onto a pizza box or similar disposable option. Just put something waterproof underneath it. It could be post-surgery pain, especially when pooping (you know how they stand on their back toes and arch their back to poop versus simply squatting to pee) and the effort of going up & over the sides of the box are aggravating sensitive areas.
Please keep us updated on how she is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshi500

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We did get a new litter box that is like half the size of her current one...it was the smallest we could find (like 4 or 5 inches?)...so that is an idea to craft something up even smaller. I will see how she goes with the soft cone on.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Silver had to recover from a mangled leg and we had to do the pizza box thing. Fortunately, prayers were answered and she made a complete recovery!