Potentially got a job..?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been unemployed since March 2012, when the company I worked for for 5½ years and actually felt some semblance of job security in (I was the only person who did my job, and my boss always left comments on my performance review stating I was the largest reason for the success of the department) downsized and laid off 25+ people. I received unemployment, went back to school and began a new career path in transportation and logistics. I always joke around about driving a semi truck, and have driven a couple bobtail around a parking lot before. BF says he draws the line at me becoming a truck driver though :lol3: I still occasionally look into CDL schools anyway. Because I live where there is a large port, there are hundreds of trucking companies, two big rail lines, and a large airport, its a good place to get into the field. Hardest part is actually getting into it! Even entry level jobs want experience in intermodal industry or trucking experience. I've put in applications at a bunch of places, knowing most of them will probably never get back to me because I have no experience, just a few classes under my belt.

I'd applied to an operations supervisor position off craigslist last week. They reposted the job 2 more times, so I figured they weren't interested. Again, no experience, though it didn't require any in the postings. Yesterday when I was in the apartment rental office (getting my SS package :clap: ), they called and requested an interview, which was today at 11am. I went in there thinking they'd take one look at me and say "yeah right, next!" They seemed happy I'm in school for it, didn't mind I had no experience, and said the biggest challenge I would face in the job is keeping their truck drivers in line and doing their jobs. Other things were entering delivery manifests into the system and verifying everything was properly delivered. They told me they were interviewing one more person after me, but that I was definitely one of the two considered for the position. Asked me to call them on Wednesday, and that they would inform me on the 28th what the decision was. Two hours later, I got a VM from the manager who works at this location asking me to call back. I figured he was going to tell me they hired the other person - surely they had experience or more education.... Nope! They want me to come in tomorrow, bring my license, SS card, and fill out paperwork.

I'm assuming that is a pretty good bet I got the job then. I'm a nervous wreck though :lol3: Something totally new, although a great stepping stone in my path to future goals in the industry. It's only part time, whereas I prefer full time. But it might be better for me being that it'll have been 10 months of no job, then suddenly in January I'll have a new job, 6 classes at school, a weekly side job (we picked up an easy-money side job on Tuesday), and be helping the BF with his online classes. The other thing making me nervous is that I have a friend trying to talk to the hiring department at another company that will offer FT, a lot more money, and also be in the field, with transfer options in the future. We only talked with him yesterday about it so we don't even know where that will go to or when. I just will feel bad if I end up having something better fall in my lap early on... though I know that most companies have no loyalty to their employees and you have to do the best for you first. And right now, I definitely need a job to keep us afloat come January! Been in a slight funk also because it seems the salesman at BF's job was more excited for me than he was. I know he wishes it was FT, but at least we wont be struggling to pay the bills (which we would be struggling if I don't get a job, as unemployment runs out Dec 31).

My mind is all over the place :lol3: It doesn't know if it should be happy, nervous, or just implode :rolleyes:

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is be over the moon, something is better than nothing :) you never know you might pick up more hours as you gain the experience :D

But its great news :D

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's great news. Part time may not be what you were looking for, but it'll mean gaining experience as well as getting a pay check. Good luck!

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds promising - and sometimes part time can lead to full time!

Best of luck and 2013 will be a better year for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! I'm still going crazy lol. Bf reassured me today saying its a great step for me, even if I don't think its going to be the perfect job for a long period of time. Looking at the positives: paycheck!! Gaining experience i can take with me to one of my preferred companies in the future, and not overloading right away. Plus i know if I end up not enjoying it, theres other opportunities coming up, and its certainly easier to get a job when you already have one!

I think nerves are getting me big time, theyre only training me for 3 days!! But we are hoping this is changing the bad luck recently to something goodto start 2013. If the world wanted to test us, it did a good job of it this year!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By the way...you know my wife is a truck driver and teaches at one of FFE's trucking schools?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way...you know my wife is a truck driver and teaches at one of FFE's trucking schools?

That's pretty awesome! My BF thinks I want to be OTR for some reason (I'd only do that if we were team drivers), but I wouldn't mind local stuff, especially since we have multiple port locations. Most just require 1+ years of experience already. I was told if I got either a Class A or B, that I'd be guaranteed a job somewhere that his dad knows the owner of. Maybe one day :) He says he doesn't see why I would go to school for a degree in Transportation/Logistics, and drive a truck (not 'getting' that it would be something to do in the meantime if anything!) For now I occasionally get my "Big Rig Fix" when he lets me drive one of the trucks around the yard or in and out of the shop.

I'm starting to feel a little more positive and little less nervous about the upcoming job. It's certainly not the hours I'd prefer, but I'm glad I don't have to sacrifice my weekends because we LOVE to travel on weekends. It's also a great stepping stone to one of the larger companies I want to ultimately work for :)

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two hours later, I got a VM from the manager who works at this location asking me to call back. I figured he was going to tell me they hired the other person - surely they had experience or more education.... Nope! They want me to come in tomorrow, bring my license, SS card, and fill out paperwork.
Girl! That means you got the job!!!!!!!!!!!  
  A company only asks you to bring your SS card and fill out paperwork when they have hired you and are putting you on the payroll!!!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! :clap:

I start on Wednesday. Quite nervous! But looking forward to beginning my journey accomplishing my career goals in the industry :) It's going to be so weird going back to work after 10mo of being unemployed ... life is going to get busy again QUICK!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far so good. I'm getting the hang of it, and the other operations supervisor and I get along. Our shifts will overlap by 30mins, he's full time though. There's a lot of time-wasting to be had apparently, too! Seems I will be getting a lot of reading done during down time... On my 2nd day I got to do a lot of route closeouts. My third day they had me come in at 6:30am and work the morning shift (which was really just sitting around watching for 5 hours). They did buy lunch from Atlanta Bread Co for everyone though which was nice. The warehouse guy told me to enjoy it because they rarely do such things and probably only doing it because the terminal manager's last day is Tuesday. So there'll be a different manager soon. One of their interviewees for the job seemed to look down on me yesterday, which I wasn't a fan of ... kind of looked at me like "YOU'RE an ops supervisor?" Whatever. Another interviewee was actually a guy I did a research project with in my Shipping Operations class last semester! Small world.

I'm still going to keep my options open on going to the company I want to work for and grow in, if I can get into it. Apparently the BF's dad is friends with that terminal manager, and we have a friend who knows the HR manager there as well. I thought I'd feel like a jerk if I got a better opportunity to come around, but I'm getting over that thought. The place I want to work at, which has locations in TN as well, starts around $40k/yr versus the $15k/yr I'm getting now. The money I'll be making at this job is actually less than what I received on unemployment, which is somewhat disappointing, but I'm also getting experience and that will hopefully open doors for me to get to where I want to be :) And in many places, you have to have a job to get a job! At least I will be a busy bee again like I'd been used to for so long. And I'm happy that it is in my field of study and I didn't have to do something I really didn't want to, that was unrelated! :clap: I was very anxious my first day, and wasn't really looking forward to it, but by the time I went home, I started getting excited about being able to use my education and stuff I've picked up over the last year and gain the experience I need to reach my ultimate career goals.

I'm still not much of a fan of working until 7:30pm (cuts into BF/fur-family time!) but it IS nice to not have to get up at the butt crack of dawn to go to work :lol3: My sleep schedule has changed drastically over the last 10 months for sure. Hopefully I can adjust it back a little to where I work on school stuff in the mornings before working. School starts again on Monday, and I JUST found out they canceled one of my transportation classes. The one the idiot adviser/professor changed a few weeks ago on us ... if he had left it alone, it would've been fine. I actually did change my class to the on-campus one, even though I was unsure if I'd be able to make it every time. Luckily I managed to squeeze into a Basic Accounting course online that had ONE opening left in it (the only other open option was 7:30pm as well), so my school schedule stayed at 6 classes this semester. I'm trying my hardest to graduate with my A.S. in December.