Potentially Dry Fip?

thatcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After much deliberation, I finally adopted my first cat in several years on Friday. The minute I walked into the open cat room, this little guy stole my heart. I had heard one little kitten in the room sneezing, but thought nothing of it as colds go around shelters all the time.

We brought him home and for the first few days, everything was fine. It was an adjustment that left me scrambling to hide things that were potentially dangerous to kitty, but it was okay. He sneezed off and on through the weekend, but again, I didn't worry too much about it; My allergies were acting up as well, so I figured it was just allergies for the cat too.

Tuesday was our first vet visit, and we walked out, having received the rabies vaccine (I'm not sure which type other than 1-year). The doctor wanted me to return in a couple of weeks to receive a booster shot for Viral Rhinotraceitis, Calicivirus, and Panleukopenia, hoping that the time would be enough for my cat's sneezing to pass. He hadn't heard any congestion in my cat's lungs, so he figured that, at the most, the sneezing was a slight URI that would pass with time.

Tuesday night, the sneezing increased greatly. It was now much more forceful and frequent. We called the vet and asked if they thought it was a reaction to the rabies vaccine - which they did not. An antibiotic was called in, but I wouldn't have been able to pick it up until Wednesday.

Wednesday came and we were told by the pharmacy that they couldn't fill the prescription yet. At about 4:30-5 PM, I noticed that the cat was struggling to recover after the sneezing/hacking fits and was breathing with his mouth slightly ajar. This scared the crap out of me, so we rushed him into the vet.

On Tuesday, his temp had been 100.3 - On Wednesday, it was up to 103.

The vet did say that she thought the fever could be a reaction to the rabies vaccine, but that she wasn't sure on the sneezing/hacking. She didn't hear anything in his chest, so she didn't think it was pneumonia or anything like that, but did note that his stomach/abdomen felt a little larger/rounder than she would have liked, but didn't elaborate anymore on that (other than to say that she thought he had to pee and poo). She gave the cat a steroid shot and an antibiotic shot to hold us over until I could pick up the prescription today.

He was okay for a few hours upon arriving home last night, but this morning, we were right back to the frequent sneezing as well as a new noise that I can only describe as hacking or even maybe reverse sneezing (We have a dog in a separate area of the house who sometimes does that).

My problem is that I read somethings online about FIP and now I've got myself anxious about it.

Is that even a possibility, considering both vets said that they didn't hear any fluid in his chest? Would FIP develop that quickly between being at the shelter and then coming home to our house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thatcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also add that the cat had been testing for FIV, FELV, and Heartworm in the shelter and testing negative for all of them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sadly, symptoms can seemingly develop quickly because it can stay dormant for months or even years, then quickly become active. However, there are SO many other things that it could be, and not hearing fluid is heartening. I'd give your vet a call and ask about the possibility of FIP, and go from there. DO NOT make yourself crazy over this just yet. Whatever the situation is, we will be here with you every step of the way.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Temp could be from vaccine. But, I am curious about the fact that your dog sometimes does the same thing. Has his condition been diagnosed? I am guessing he may not have as big of a reaction to whatever the source of the issue is because his immune system is stronger. And, that is assuming the cat is a kitten, or is older and may be weakened by whatever has gone on in his past life. Also, you said you heard a kitten sneezing in the shelter, but I gather you weren't able to identify it was the cat you brought home?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not the best person to talk to as we've had some reactions to the rabies vaccine, but since this cat was doing some sneezing and hacking, got the vaccine, and the symptoms got much worse, I wouldn't say the vaccine "caused" this, but I would privately wonder if the vaccine (not just rabies, but any vaccine) simply made a small thing big.
Did the cat shelter you got him from not have any vaccine history, or not do vaccines?

(And here's my daily old persons rant: there's a reason old school vets, large and small animal, pounded it into the heads of new vets, technicians, and clients that you never EVER vaccinate an animal that isn't in tip top health. This knowledge is NOT the responsibility of the client/owner!)

I'm hoping this isn't FIP and is just a reaction to a shot given when the kittens immune functions were already down.
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said, don't freak out, don't make yourself crazy.
Keep the cat in a nice, comfortable temperature away from drafts, with lots of clean, cozy, dry spots to sleep, clean water, good food, toys and the opportunity to play, and lots of love. Concentrate on that now and you won't have much time left to worry. :grouphug:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I'm re-reading this and something else came to mind.
We never have seen sneezing with our guy, but can you describe this "hacking"? How does the cat stand/sit/lay when he's hacking? Is he crouched with all fours tucked, neck out stretched, coughing with his chin parallel to the ground, or is he just walking along, then stops and coughs, then goes on?
The reason I ask is our cat did some hacking (again, no sneezing) and coughing, and when you mentioned he had a hard time recovering and was breathing with his mouth open a bit, this is our cat during a mild asthma attack. (He has never sneezed during this, and never has had a high temperature. I'm most likely wrong and the symptoms don't add up, but the coughing/open mouth breathing during recovery from a coughing fit is enough to make you have a small stroke, isn't it?)
:grouphug: Hang in there!