Potential obstruction?

Threecatsandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 5 month old kitten ate a piece of my yoga mat this morning (it was a piece that had fallen off - it's one of those fluffier ones where shoes can gouge out small pieces).

I'm so mad at myself because I almost had it out of her mouth, lost my grip on her head, and then she swallowed it by the time I opened her mouth again. It was about 1.5 inches long, 0.25 inch wide and maybe 1/16 inch high (I saw it sitting on her tongue).

This was about two hours ago from me posting. Do I call the vet? Is there anything that can be done this early on to prevent it from becoming more serious?

Or do we just watch her closely for any signs (vomitting, not eating, lethargy, etc.).

I'm seriously stressing out over this (mainly due to the size) and will be paranoid for days with her every move.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
From what I've read about other members' kittens eating things, it seems this is the best approach;
Or do we just watch her closely for any signs (vomitting, not eating, lethargy, etc.).
However, with that said, since it was a fairly large piece I think if this were me I might see if I could talk to a vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would call the vet and explain what happened and let them tell you how to proceed. Some rubber, if there is any on your mat, can be problematic. If you see signs of distress, get her to the vet quickly.

Cats do pass or vomit objects that they ate, so it is possible that this will happen, but you do have to watch her very carefully.