Potential Kidney Failure Would Like Advice

MidEastcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live somewhere really hot and yesterday my house cat (who I've had since she was a kitten, for 4 years with no problems) got outside because I left the door to the roof open, and she was lost for a day.

When I found her and took her to the vet, he ran a test and said her kidneys were in awful shape, probably from dehydration and/or drinking something toxic. The reading (I forget the unit) should be around thirty and hers was 90 something. He said he will keep giving her fluids for three days and then 'we will need to make a decision'. He seemed very sceptical about the chances, but did say the damage might be 'reversible'.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar? Did your cat recover, and if they did to what extent, and what long term problems and treatments were there? What I worry about most is the vet will tell me she is in better shape, but can only recover with treatment I can't afford, or that she is in better shape but she will be in shitty health with constant crises for the rest of her life. Presumably if her kidneys are messed up then any toxic stuff she may have eaten can't be flushed out with vitamin K and will sit there doing damage?

I feel really sad and ashamed about it. It seems surreal and frightening that for four years I was so conscientious about doors and windows and then suddenly I left a door open like that and forgot about it. I had a few unexpected crisis happen in quick succession plus a health problem, and I was really tired and stressed and forgetting all sorts of obvious and important things. It's horrible how things like that can make you irresponsible and unreliable, like you're not yourself anymore, but a completely different person who can't be trusted to take care of themselves, let alone anyone else. The last 24 hours must have been really confusing and miserable and painful for her....

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened :alright:. Now, it's hard to answer your questions without knowing what exactly caused this issue. If it was a toxin like lillies or antifreeze, her chances aren't too good, honestly. But it could be caused from something else entirely...could even be from a kidney infection and have nothing to do with her being outdoors. Some cats can return to full kidney function and some cats end up with chronic kidney disease, and some in between. So I think you may just need to wait and see what happens in the next few days, how she responds to the treatment and whether or not they can determine the cause. I, personally, have had three kidney cats (chronic kidney disease) , and each of them have lived for three years after diagnosis. None of them were diagnosed until their kidneys were already shot :frown: (95% gone I think).

Anyway, here is a website that discusses Acute Kidney Failure you might find helpful for the moment: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Acute Kidney Injury

:vibes::vibes::vibes:I'm truly hoping this is an infection or something that can be resolved :crossfingers: Please keep us posted.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry this has happened to your cat! Please try not to be so hard on yourself, i know that's hard, but accidents do happen. And you had no bad intent for something like this to happen.

We will hope and pray that the fluids will flush her kidneys and she will make a full recovery. I would hold onto that hope! They do pull through some things like this, against all odds. Try not to think of worst case, hopefully none of your fears will come true.

I am guessing she is staying at the vet, with iv or something?

Do keep us updated, we will worry with you. Sending you guys my best thoughts, hopes and prayers!:vibes::grouphug: and hugs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MidEastcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding. Can you please tell me what the quality of life for your cats with chronic kidney disease was like, and what special things you needed to do to keep them going?

MidEastcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the nice reply. She is on iv with the vet for three days and then they will know how bad her kidneys are. It sounds like there is definitely a lot of damage and it's a matter of determining how much, and hen deciding what to do about that. The vet spoke as if putting her down was definitely an option if not a likely outcome.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's acute kidney problems, it could just be temporary due to the situation and she won't have any long-lasting issues. If this brings on more chronic kidney problems, there are many things you can do to help her. The most important things are fluid intake and eating. This site is probably the most comprehensive site on feline kidney disease: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat . There is also a fantastic group on Facebook in addition to the many people here on TCS who have had kitties with kidney problems.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for responding. Can you please tell me what the quality of life for your cats with chronic kidney disease was like, and what special things you needed to do to keep them going?
In the beginning, even with the 95% failure, there wasn't anything to do except try to feed them a lower phosphorus food. On that website I directed you to, which stephanietx stephanietx also referenced, there are listings of both dry and wet food listed in order of the amount of phosphorus in them, plus there is RX food available just for kidney cats which some cats like (mine didn't happen to like it). In the later stages, they may start to feel bad and you need to give them sub-q fluids frequently to help with that, to flush out toxins, along with appetite enhancers possibly, antacids, and maybe Vitamin B shots. I think there are some new drugs available now for kidney cats too that weren't being used when my guys were still alive that may help support the kidneys. As far as sub-q fluids, they are different from IV fluids, as you give them just under the skin rather than via a vein, which is what she is getting now. Sub-q fluids can be done at home by YOU :). It's really quite easy. We used to hang the fluids from our dining room light, although many people do it in the bathroom and hang the fluids from the shower rod. If you get to that point, we can give you you many tips on that, including where to purchase supplies via the internet (hopefully, depending on your location) But you're getting ahead of yourself as you don't know yet what is going to happen. If this is an infection she may make a complete recovery. Also, I think Stephanie's kidney cat never even ate a low phosphorus diet and lived for several years without ANY intervention at all. I know she did not do sub-q fluids. Every cat is different. First though, you've got to get your little one through this crisis :alright:.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , my Callie was on the Rx dry food, but I fed her grain-free canned food as well. It was not low phosphorus. She lived about 5-6 years after her diagnosis. We did give her some kind of powder to help with her kidneys, but I don't remember the name of it. That was added to her wet food. We chose not to do sub-q fluids due to her temperament and age. If she was much younger, our decision to do sub-q fluids may have been different.

aziraaziz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hugs from Malaysia.

My kitty is diagnosed with kidney disease. Her treatments was IV fluids 3x a week for 2 weeks, now down to 2x a week with antibiotics until her next bloodwork and the vet told me if Majnun, our 7 year old kitty continues progressing well (her bloodwork shows she's improving slowly) with enough food to replace muscle loss she'd eventually would only need IV fluids once a month. I was advised not to feed her too much protein to reduce the load on her kidneys tho.

The food my vet approved to feed her are:

Fussie Cat wet food
Royal Canin Renal (kibbles)
Royal Canin Recovery (wet food)
Once a week roast/boiled chicken.

I hope this helps.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , my Callie was on the Rx dry food, but I fed her grain-free canned food as well. It was not low phosphorus. She lived about 5-6 years after her diagnosis. We did give her some kind of powder to help with her kidneys, but I don't remember the name of it. That was added to her wet food. We chose not to do sub-q fluids due to her temperament and age. If she was much younger, our decision to do sub-q fluids may have been different.
stephanietx stephanietx , thanks for reminding me about that. Sorry for the miss info I gave out. I'd forgotten, since it's been so long :paperbag:. I wasn't faulting you for no fluids. My hubby and I have had many discussions about this, and with the two cats we have now, one would want us to do fluids on him, and the other (we feel), wouldn't. It's as simple as that. Everyone knows their cats best and what they will tolerate and whether or not they would WANT to go through that extra mile or not...know what I mean? And we've got one who prances around with his tail held high all the time, just a happy go lucky guy, and the other who kind of mopes around all the time. With OUR Callie, she developed liver issues when she had the kidney disease, and we chose NOT to do an ultrasound on her liver, because, honestly, WHY? What could come of it? We just didn't want to put her through anything else.

Sorry, :hijack: :lol:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't implying you were faulting me. I was simply letting the OP know that we opted to NOT do fluids and why. So many people automatically assume that fluids is the way to go, and I get that, but for us, we had long before decided that if something should happen to her (or any of our other kitties) that quality of life would be the first thing to consider. She never liked being restrained or held and wasn't good about being poked, so she made that decision for us.

MidEastcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for the information. I can't imagine giving my cat IV's. She would hate it, feel like I was persecuting her, and it would quickly become impossible. Hopefully she can get better with a special type of Royal Canin plus some meds. How do cats with kidney disease behave? Do they enjoy life? Do they have energy to play and run around?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I mentioned before, the 2 most important things are fluid intake and eating. One big issue with kidney kitties can be constipation. The body needs fluid to keep things moving and many kidney kitties don't take in enough water. I add water to wet food to make it like a slurry or thick oatmeal just to increase water intake. A water fountain might also help. Switching to wet food will also help. We got to the point where we found a good blend of kidney food and regular grain-free food that worked for my kitty.

They will still play and all that like normal and will have a good quality of life. There will be times when lethargy will set in, they won't want to eat, and stuff like that. This could be related to not pooping. I add plain canned pumpkin puree to wet food to help keep stools moving.

Hopefully, your girl will make a good recovery and her outlook will be good for many years to come.

MidEastcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As I mentioned before, the 2 most important things are fluid intake and eating. One big issue with kidney kitties can be constipation. The body needs fluid to keep things moving and many kidney kitties don't take in enough water. I add water to wet food to make it like a slurry or thick oatmeal just to increase water intake. A water fountain might also help. Switching to wet food will also help. We got to the point where we found a good blend of kidney food and regular grain-free food that worked for my kitty.

They will still play and all that like normal and will have a good quality of life. There will be times when lethargy will set in, they won't want to eat, and stuff like that. This could be related to not pooping. I add plain canned pumpkin puree to wet food to help keep stools moving.

Hopefully, your girl will make a good recovery and her outlook will be good for many years to come.
Thank you for this it's exactly what I wanted to know. From this and other reading it seems that even with bad long term kidney damage, some cats can have a reasonable if not the same quality of life for a long time with just a few adjustments and nothing to distress the cat. Hopefully this will be the case with mine. Will find out on Thursday.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, kidney cats can definitely have a good quality of life for quite some time. And adding water to their food definitely help. I did the same thing as Stephanie. Added extra water to every meal, and I didn't feed any dry food at all, so mine got lots of extra water. In the later stages, there are ups and down, and at that point you weigh the good days against the bad. When there are more bad days than good, then you make a decision...

Hopefully that's a long way off, if ever. Still hoping your girl comes out of this with no permanent damage. Are they any updates yet from your Vet?

MidEastcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called the vet's today and the receptionist said she's fine. I won't fully believe it until I hear it from one particular vet (because I don't think I would survive being in that heat for that long, and because you often can't trust that sort of good news here) but am now very hopeful. Just to make sure I asked them to keep her until after Eid. Thank you to everyone for the advice and good wishes. Even if the vet does give her a bill of clean health, I will definitely get a fountain and might put her on Canin Renal to try and minimise any damage they might have missed.

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vet's today and the receptionist said she's fine. I won't fully believe it until I hear it from one particular vet (because I don't think I would survive being in that heat for that long, and because you often can't trust that sort of good news here) but am now very hopeful. Just to make sure I asked them to keep her until after Eid. Thank you to everyone for the advice and good wishes. Even if the vet does give her a bill of clean health, I will definitely get a fountain and might put her on Canin Renal to try and minimise any damage they might have missed.
Try and get a copy of the results if you can. I wouldn't feed her renal food, it's very low in protein and she'll lose muscle mass. And it's too low in phosphorus for a healthy cat and overall not great quality. The best preventive diet against kidney issues is an all wet diet.

MidEastcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try and get a copy of the results if you can. I wouldn't feed her renal food, it's very low in protein and she'll lose muscle mass. And it's too low in phosphorus for a healthy cat and overall not great quality. The best preventive diet against kidney issues is an all wet diet.
Thanks for this it's really useful to know. I'll ask for a print out of whatever test he did before deciding there were no longer any problems, check out the results and go on that basis...

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm hoping the receptionist was referring to her overall health and not just saying she was doing fine there in their hospital :crossfingers:. Did you leave a message for the Vet to call you back? Anxiously awaiting the official GREAT news :wink: !

BTW, I agree that you really shouldn't feed a kidney diet unless she is in later stages of kidney failure. Until then, cats need a high protein diet. AND, IMHO, wet food is best. I had three kidney cats that were all fed dry food and water from the tap. With my latest cats, I feed them wet food and filtered water. If they get kidney disease, I give up.