Potential Introduction Mistake - Advice Needed

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought home a new cat last night and set her up in a room by herself with her toys, litter box, food/water, her beds, and kept the resident cat's cat tree in the room. It wasn't long before she seemed comfortable in the room and hanging out on the cat tree as well as rubbing against me and purring. After several hours I decided to put the resident cat into my bedroom and close the door allowing the new cat to explore the rest of the apartment. She did so and calmly went back to the room with her things. Both the new cat and the resident cat were exposed to each other's scents. I thought it would be OK for the two cats to see each other through a cracked door. This is where I feel I made a great mistake. The new cat saw the resident cat and began hissing. The resident cat hissed back a couple of times and I closed the door. Now the new cat seems to be afraid, won't leave the room again when the other cat is shut in a room, and was even hissing at some fur from the recently brushed resident cat. Did I create a negative association for the new cat? Is this just a "bump in the road"? I am afraid I may have caused some harm by letting the cats see one another so soon. Does anyone have any advice? I have read the introduction posts and plan to sort of start things over and go very, very slowly. If anyone could provide feedback about what might be done after a new cat got seemingly scared by seeing the resident cat I would be appreciative. Thanks.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt it. Hissing is cat equivalent of "I don't want you here" or "I feel threatened." I would not let them see each other for for at least a couple of weeks, maybe even a month. I would try feeding them on the opposite sides of the door ... even if from 10 feet from the door to start with.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they'll be fine, hissing is a warning, telling the other cat to stay away, and they did. They are fully aware of each other now, so now it is just time that will help them get used to each other. The newcomer is especially frightened, because everything is new and scary, this will get better as she gets more comfortable. These things take weeks not days. Females are not known to be particularly friendly, so they will become a family unit and provide entertainment and friendship for each other but most likely not bosom buddies like two males. Hissing, swatting and even tussles that don't result in deep bites or blood are all perfectly normal and to be expected. You might contain one in a crate or cage while they are together and swap them out, that way no one gets hurt and get used to each other through sight. Thank you for providing a new home for that little sweetheart, it will all turn out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the support. It is going to be a slow process and I will be sure to use more caution in the future. When they start playing together I will be sure to have the camera ready!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise