Potential food allergy – need recommendations for a new food

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m trying to find a high quality dry food that doesn’t contain chicken or fish protein because I have a cat (Bailey) that may have developed a food allergy. Canned too, but it appears that will be easier. Eliminating chicken and fish protein is where I’m going to start because almost everything Bailey has been eating contains those. I have 5 cats so I free feed dry food and then offer them canned a couple times a day.

The dry: Farmina Prime Chicken, Prime Wild Boar (also contains chicken) and Ocean Herring. Dr Elsey’s Chicken, and Salmon.

The wet: Mostly alternating between Farmina fish varieties and Wellness Core Tiny Tasters (all contain chicken). Less frequently Fancy Feast (all varieties contain fish). Also some days just a little bit of Gerber Chicken baby food (only ingredients are chicken and corn starch).

So my thought was to change brands and also eliminate chicken and fish proteins, since almost everything Bailey has been eating contain both. But I’m finding that it is quite difficult to find foods (particularly dry foods) meeting this criteria without considering brands that seem low quality to me and have undesirable ingredients.

I read that Dr. Elsey’s recently made a slight recipe change for their dry Chicken and customers are reporting that their cats are not doing as well on it now. Has anyone experienced that with Dr. Elsey’s?

I need to be able to keep free feeding dry food for now (I know, it’s not healthy), so whatever change in food I make will need to be for all 5 of my cats.

I have been trying to find a freeze dried that could replace the dry – one with small crunchy nuggets. But so far no luck. The freeze dried brands I have tried so far, with only disapproval by my cats, are: Steve’s Quest, Vital Essentials, Bixbi Rawbble, and Feline Natural. I’ve ordered some Ziwi Peak air dried but it hasn’t arrived yet. Was considering Purpose and Northwest Naturals. I think small and crunchy is the key. Recommendations?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Food allergies are tough. You can try what you're doing - different versions with different ingredients, but it can be hard to single out exactly what causes the reaction. For two cats I've had, the only thing that worked (to my chagrin) was prescription food. I had vets who told me that the prescription food is also sometimes the only way to guarantee (or better guarantee) the contents being pure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Food allergies are tough. You can try what you're doing - different versions with different ingredients, but it can be hard to single out exactly what causes the reaction. For two cats I've had, the only thing that worked (to my chagrin) was prescription food. I had vets who told me that the prescription food is also sometimes the only way to guarantee (or better guarantee) the contents being pure.
Yeah, I'm resistant to going down the prescription food road, but that may be where I end up. The more I read about food allergies in cats the more discouraging it is. There are so many ingredients in addition to the meats that could be the culprit. And then if I find what appears to be a good quality food with limited ingredients my cats will probably absolutely refuse to eat it. Very discouraging. :ohwell:

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ziwi peak air dried or wet may be your best bet for completely eliminating chicken; their wet does have mussels in it.
The Ziwi Peak air dried (beef) that I ordered arrived yesterday and unfortunately it is a hard "NO!" for my cats so far. I think because the texture is so different from dry they won't even try it.
I was wondering about the green lipped mussel vs fish allergies. The air dried contains GLM too. All of the Feline Natural foods do as well and I've had a little bit of luck getting my cats to try their canned lamb.
I was hoping that maybe GLM wouldn't bother a cat that is bothered by other fish foods, like sardines, but I realize that my hopes won't make it true. Also, there is literally no way that I can avoid fish oil in cat food, so I'm not trying to at this point. This is incredibly frustrating since I'm just guessing at this point what ingredients might be a problem for my cat - or if she even has food allergies.

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can give Stella & Chewy's freeze dried food a try(does kelp count as seafood?). My cats will eat some of their flavors, but I think quality varies from batch to batch. Instinct also has limited ingredients wet food.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I recommended starting with the prescription food that's guaranteed to be a LID first if you can afford to do so.

Then once you have the protein sorted and know what to avoid, you'll have more than just the market LIDs to choose from.

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can give Stella & Chewy's freeze dried food a try(does kelp count as seafood?). My cats will eat some of their flavors, but I think quality varies from batch to batch. Instinct also has limited ingredients wet food.
Thanks for those thoughts. I have tried S&C’s (duck, duck, goose) – no luck. The nuggets are too large and even when broken into smaller pieces, or rehydrated, they are a no go. I’ve been feeding it to my dogs for a few years (mostly turkey) and they really like it. I’ve been tempted to try their wet turkey pate, but suspect I will be snubbed again by my cats. Have you used that?

I think it was about a year ago that I heard S&C’s was in the process of being purchased by a larger company. Maybe that change resulted in quality control issues?

I did look into the Instinct limited ingredients line, but pea protein is something I stay away from.
I got some Hound & Gatos gamebird canned which was a decisive no by all cats. And it sounded like good stuff to me. Feline Natural lamb canned at least got a few nibbles, so maybe there is potential there.

Something I had on hand that Bailey does like is Go! Limited Ingredient Turkey Wet for dogs. I’m sure the reason she likes it is due to the fairly high carb content (from tapioca). Surprisingly, the cat version is even higher in carbs. But in addition to the high carbs, it has other ingredients that concern me.
Starting to realize though that I’m going to need to make some compromises in what I consider to be high quality, to find something my cats will actually eat.

• Purraise
Reactions: suh

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recommended starting with the prescription food that's guaranteed to be a LID first if you can afford to do so.

Then once you have the protein sorted and know what to avoid, you'll have more than just the market LIDs to choose from.
Thanks for the reply. You make a good point and I will consider it. The fact that all 5 of my cats would have to go on the prescription food is what will probably keep me from trying that. I have some very stubborn thoughts about ingredients like soy and pea protein in cat food. I feel pretty strongly that changing my other 4 cats to something like that would be detrimental to their health. But I do recognize that you have probably witnessed many people like me flail and fail with the approach I am taking. Thanks for trying to save me.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. You make a good point and I will consider it. The fact that all 5 of my cats would have to go on the prescription food is what will probably keep me from trying that. I have some very stubborn thoughts about ingredients like soy and pea protein in cat food. I feel pretty strongly that changing my other 4 cats to something like that would be detrimental to their health. But I do recognize that you have probably witnessed many people like me flail and fail with the approach I am taking. Thanks for trying to save me.
I also flailed and failed with that approach. If you can consider sepat feedings just for while you figure it out, I will encourage you to try 🙂

PS. I also stay away from peas. It's unfortunate so many LIDs have them.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for those thoughts. I have tried S&C’s (duck, duck, goose) – no luck. The nuggets are too large and even when broken into smaller pieces, or rehydrated, they are a no go. I’ve been feeding it to my dogs for a few years (mostly turkey) and they really like it. I’ve been tempted to try their wet turkey pate, but suspect I will be snubbed again by my cats. Have you used that?

I think it was about a year ago that I heard S&C’s was in the process of being purchased by a larger company. Maybe that change resulted in quality control issues?

I did look into the Instinct limited ingredients line, but pea protein is something I stay away from.
I got some Hound & Gatos gamebird canned which was a decisive no by all cats. And it sounded like good stuff to me. Feline Natural lamb canned at least got a few nibbles, so maybe there is potential there.

Something I had on hand that Bailey does like is Go! Limited Ingredient Turkey Wet for dogs. I’m sure the reason she likes it is due to the fairly high carb content (from tapioca). Surprisingly, the cat version is even higher in carbs. But in addition to the high carbs, it has other ingredients that concern me.
Starting to realize though that I’m going to need to make some compromises in what I consider to be high quality, to find something my cats will actually eat.
My cat peaches cannot eat chicken,hates tuna,but loves salmon. She eats minced nulo turkey duck,turkey salmon,beaf,turkey halibut,fancy feast classics beef or turkey.

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat peaches cannot eat chicken,hates tuna,but loves salmon. She eats minced nulo turkey duck,turkey salmon,beaf,turkey halibut,fancy feast classics beef or turkey.
Thanks for those thoughts. My cats love all fish, including tuna, but since all of the foods they have been eating contain fish I thought that would be a place to start for elimination. Farmina is what they eat the most of and all of the recipes contain herring, so I have wondered if something like salmon would be different enough that it would be ok even if herring is bothering Bailey. My cats love the fancy feast classics too, but as you know they all contain "fish". Not sure what kind that is.
I had thought about looking into Nulo but then forgot to do it. I fed it to my dogs for awhile but don't think I ever tried the cat food. I really like that they offer full nutrient profiles online. Thanks.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats ike ff classics turkey&giblets. No fish

[/URL]
another site for nutrition i use a lot
Thanks - I will check out CatFoodDB. My Fancy Feast Classic Turkey & Giblets has "fish" as the 4th ingredient. But I'm definitely trying to talk myself into letting it go since my cats like FF so much.

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m out of the turkey & giblets right now, but I’m reading from the tender beef feast (classic pate) can right now and the 5th ingredient is fish. Same for several other classic pates that I have.

This is from the Chewy website for turkey & giblets:
Turkey, Meat By-products, Liver, Turkey Broth, Fish, Poultry Giblets, Artificial And Natural Flavors, . . .

Maybe FF updated their recipe and Chewy hasn’t updated their info? That would be nice.

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
P.S. Every time I read one of the FF labels I wince at the "Artificial and Natural Flavors" ingredient. But my cats like it so much that I continue to look the other way. I tried their Gourmet Natural line, which has only "Natural Flavors". My cats will sometimes eat if hungry but they don't love it. So it is the artificial something that they are addicted to. :ohwell:

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 – I found another discrepancy between a CatFoodDB review vs ingredients shown on Chewy. The ingredients listed on Chewy are the same as the image of the can shown there.
Any thought on the discrepancies? Different ingredients depending on where they are sold?

For Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Turkey & Duck Pate

CatFoodDB:
Turkey, Pork Liver, Turkey Broth, Duck, Cranberries, Guar Gum . . .

From Chewy:
Turkey, Turkey Broth, Pork Liver, Duck, Chicken, Cranberries, Guar Gum . . .

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Ziwi Peak air dried (beef) that I ordered arrived yesterday and unfortunately it is a hard "NO!" for my cats so far. I think because the texture is so different from dry they won't even try it.
I was wondering about the green lipped mussel vs fish allergies. The air dried contains GLM too. All of the Feline Natural foods do as well and I've had a little bit of luck getting my cats to try their canned lamb.
I was hoping that maybe GLM wouldn't bother a cat that is bothered by other fish foods, like sardines, but I realize that my hopes won't make it true. Also, there is literally no way that I can avoid fish oil in cat food, so I'm not trying to at this point. This is incredibly frustrating since I'm just guessing at this point what ingredients might be a problem for my cat - or if she even has food allergies.
Look into the wellness core Grainfree. Turkey, Turkey meal And duck, fish free chicken free No Meat by products fillers or artificial flavors or preservatives. Welness core

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look into the wellness core Grainfree. Turkey, Turkey meal And duck, fish free chicken free No Meat by products fillers or artificial flavors or preservatives. Welness core
Thanks for the suggestion, but I steer away from pea products - especially pea protein. I know that with all of my criteria it's no wonder I'm having trouble finding something . . .