Potassium supplementation necessary for whole animal grinds?

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I feed a rotation of whole animal grinds - rabbit, beef, mutton, turkey, and chicken - from mypetcarnivore. I add boneless muscle meat (usually heart) to lower the bone content, in the same ratio recommended by Dr. Pierson. I supplement per her recipe, with a few differences: I add manganese, which I learned about here, and I omit the lite salt.

I know that Dr. Pierson omits the lite salt from her rabbit recipe, so I am not very concerned about the mammal grinds. It is the turkey and chicken that worries me. I don't add lite salt to any of the grinds because I supplement with Plaque Off, an algae powder that has been shown to prevent dental problems. The iodine levels would be too high for comfort if I would add lite salt as well as the Plaque Off. I know that part of the motivation for adding the lite salt is potassium.

Should I be worried about a shortage of potassium in my kitty's diet?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

silkcatseyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello - I had exactely the same question as I was unable to get Lite salt here in France.

I emailed Dr P and she replied by saying that she had fed her cats a diet without any salt for several years and their potassium levels were within normal range whenever she did a yearly blood panel.

She also said that the amount of potassium in three quarters of a teaspoon of light salt is 1000 mg - so perhaps you can use that as a guide when comparing to the plaque off?

Hope this helps...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many thanks for taking the time to respond. The information is very reassuring.