Potassium deficiency.

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edea was throwing up daily for 3 days so I took him to the vet. They ran a blood panel and it came back that his potassium was low. The vet also ran a test to check his thyroid since he lost a bit of weight. The thyroid came back normal. So the vet took a look at my raw diet recipe and believes it is low in potassium and recommended I add Balance IT to the food. She also gave me a printout about why raw diet is a bad idea. I did some research on the Balance IT supplement and found it is not meant for raw diet. For now I have switched all the cats back to canned food until I can find a better recipe for raw.

The recipe I've been using is from http://www.catinfo.org/ . I stopped putting in lite salt about a year ago because I use ground whole chicken, duck, or rabbit. I was worried about too much iodine. The meat I use is from My Pet Carnivore and they've emailed me that they only remove the intestines and feathers/fur/hides. Is the recipe be unbalanced? Should I add a potassium supplement or anything else to it?

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this!!

Can you tell us how low the potassium is (actual # and normal range) and whether potassium supplementation solved your cat's problem?  How old is your cat?  Was there any sign of renal dysfunction?

I also don't add the lite salt to whole animal grinds, but if the animals are bled out before grinding they might indeed be low in potassium.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is 11+ years old. His potassium was 3.2. The vet said normal range is 3.8-5.2. The vet said that his renal function is normal. She sent us home with a gel potassium supplement called Renal K+ (Potassium Gluconate). She also sent us with famotidine for nausea. He hasn't thrown up again and his appetite improved a lot. We have a follow up appointment in 10 days to recheck.

I'm not sure if the raw diet is even deficient. My other 3 cats seem just fine and the 6 month old kitten just had blood work when he was neutered last month.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Red herring, I suspect.  The low K may even have been due to the vomiting, rather than a cause of it.   And it's not actually all that low.

Hope your cat stays well!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems kind of suspect that it would be the raw food if none of your other cats are experiencing the low potassium levels. I agree with the other comment mentioning that the low levels are probably from the vomiting. this site mentions that sometimes cats will run low potassium levels when they've been vomiting a lot. Did your vet say anything about doing a repeat test in a few months? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is going to be rechecked in a week.

A couple of my other cats have been protesting the canned diet so I made a batch of raw. Edea ate his food very slowly then threw up within 1 hour of eating. I waited a couple hours and tried some canned food and he gobbled it up and has kept it down.

None of my other cats are having this reaction. I guess I'm going to just keep him on canned diet for now.