Pot belly

OliverNcompany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I just recently brought in a semi feral kitty who had been roaming my neighborhood for several years and she is doing great! She’s been to the vet and had her vaccines and was tested for felv/fiv etc and also tested negative for parasites. I’ve noticed recently that her belly is so big! She is spayed (was TNRed about 4 years ago) so definitely not pregnant. I did feel on her back and hips and she seems pretty fat there too but I guess I’m just worried it could be something else but she may just be a little fat. She eats/drinks and plays perfectly fine. I just wonder if maybe the fecal test didn’t pick up if she had worms. Her poops seem clear too though. I haven’t noticed anything abnormal with them. The vet didn’t mention her belly but I didn’t get to go back with her. What do you think? I’ll attach a picture. She’s a very short and stout cat to begin with.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She's definitely a black beauty! :dancingblackcat: Thank you for giving her a forever home. :thanks: I did notice her stomach in the first pic but since you mentioned she recently saw the vet could you call and ask about your concern?

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First of I'd like to thank you for talking this sweet beauty in.
Did the kitty have the belly before you took her in? Sadly, all the babies I brought in from outside have gained bellies too.:/ I think it's hard for them to go from a very active outside life, to being lazy, indoor bums.😄 I'm struggling to find food that will help those with flab now. Rx food doesn't seem to be working. And so far the advice is wet or raw food. Which is a No to many of mine. But that's what's happened with my bums.
But I agree with Neely. Definitely worth giving the vet's office a call back to ask. I call/email with my very on a weekly basis.😄

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OliverNcompany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the kitty have the belly before you took her in? Sadly, all the babies I brought in from outside have gained bellies too.:/ I think it's hard for them to go from a very active outside life, to being lazy, indoor bums.😄 I'm struggling to find food that will help those with flab now. Rx food doesn't seem to be working. And so far the advice is wet or raw food. Which is a No to many of mine. But that's what's happened with my bums.
But I agree with Neely. Definitely worth giving the vet's office a call back to ask. I call/email with my very on a weekly basis.😄
Now that you mention it she has gotten bigger since I brought her inside. I looked at the pictures of her when I was feeding her outside and she’s always been a little chunky but her belly is definitely bigger now. She’s been inside now since the weekend before thanksgiving so maybe she’s put on the weight since then. I do remember when we brought one of my other cats in he would eat until he made himself sick because he wasn’t sure when he’d get a good meal again :( maybe she is doing the same. I will give the vet a ring but I know they will want me to bring her back. And I hate to do that unless absolutely necessary because she was so traumatized last time. She’s still very skittish in certain situations

OliverNcompany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now that you mention it she has gotten bigger since I brought her inside. I looked at the pictures of her when I was feeding her outside and she’s always been a little chunky but her belly is definitely bigger now. She’s been inside now since the weekend before thanksgiving so maybe she’s put on the weight since then. I do remember when we brought one of my other cats in he would eat until he made himself sick because he wasn’t sure when he’d get a good meal again :( maybe she is doing the same. I will give the vet a ring but I know they will want me to bring her back. And I hate to do that unless absolutely necessary because she was so traumatized last time. She’s still very skittish in certain situations
She's definitely a black beauty! :dancingblackcat: Thank you for giving her a forever home. :thanks: I did notice her stomach in the first pic but since you mentioned she recently saw the vet could you call and ask about your concern?
it’s been a little over a month and I don’t think her belly was as big then. I may end up having to bring her back in but I’m trying hard not to since she’s is still very skittish about certain things and that’s definitely one of them.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's just like us as we age. We expect we can always eat the same. But as we get old the metabolism slows and we don't adjust our eating habits and get fat.😄 At least, many do.
One we took in actually did patrols. We lived in a bottom floor apt and ask day long this little guy would walk all around 'his territory's. I rarely saw him sit still. We were feeding a momma raccoon and her babies when he started coming by to us. We took him with us and he went from 9 to 14lbs within a years time! Another sweet girl thatalsocame around at our new home when we started leaving food out also gained a belly once inside. And we only feed a third cup dry food twice a day. So it's not like they're pigging out on food. I think it's mostly just from being lazy and spoiled.😁 They no longer have to search for food, run from predators, or patrol territory.
If your vet doesn't understand your financial situation & can't assist you unless you come in all the time, you might want to think of looking around. There's some really good ones out there. I finally found one that is kind and understanding. She knows I'm barely holding it all together with 11 rescues and assists me whenever she can. I always have to pay lab work. But she cuts things when she can. And tells me to call or email with any questions. Which alone had saved me hundreds I not having to bring them in for every little thing.
Trust your instincts on your kitty. We were given them for a reason. 😉

OliverNcompany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here she is when I first started feeding her. So she’s never been a skinny cat by any means (been eating out of my trash for years without me knowing) but definitely fatter than before. Also when she was outside there were two other cats and a couple opossums and raccoons she had to share with so she may be eating a lot more now. And she’s been just laying around on a cat tree for a month or so. She’s started getting more comfortable and active now so hopefully she can start losing some of the weight!

Attachments