Post-worms Litterbox Issues

whits_end

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I have a (maybe TMI) question I was hoping you all could help me out with. My poor new humane society baby, Tyrion, (approximately 4-5 months old) came to me in recovery from a host of issues. Most pressing was a terrible case of worms which nearly killed him (he was unresponsive 5 days ago, but is doing so much better now.)

The de-worming and recovery gave him terrible diarrhea, which is to be expected, and it also caused some ongoing fecal incontinence. He will pee in the litter box, but will not poop in it. At first, I thought it was behavioral, and that he was associating the litter box with the pain of the worms and diarrhea. However, I caught him pooping last night while he was walking around, and I think now that he has just lost control over his sphincter and simply can't help it; it just falls out. (It is pretty solid now, not liquid-y anymore.)

He is trying to get near the box; today when I came home from work he had gone right next to it and very clearly tried to cover some of it up by kicking or scraping some litter on top of it. I have tried the Kitten Attract litter, and he's getting closer to the box, but so far hasn't made it in yet except to pee.

So my question is, I know that he had worms, but that he is recovering. How long does it normally take for a cat or kitten to start going back in the litter box after medical issues? For those who have kitties who stopped using litter after medical issues, did your cats go back to normal after a bit? What can I expect? Thank you in advance for your help!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a kitten with worms that bad. When the diarrhea cleared up she was able to make it to the box.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've not really heard of cats stopping using the box due to pain associated with worms and diarrhea. If you think he's not able to make it to the box in time or doesn't have "control" of his sphincter, that seems like an issue for the Vet.

I would suggest, however, that you at least get one more litter box. Not sure if you only have one, but it's possible that it's just too far for the little guy to get to, depending on where he is when he gets the urge. The rule of thumb is one box per cat, plus one additional box. Maybe that will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whits_end

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again! An update: Tryion is still peeing inside of the box, but not pooping.

After a lot of observation this week, I believe that the problem is two-fold:
  • He was never properly litter-trained at the humane society (he was brought in as a 4-month-old stray.)
  • He experienced some trauma at the litter box. He had a really terrible case of worms that nearly killed him, and suffered from terrible, probably painful diarrhea for a while. I think he is associating the litter box with this pain. (He has been successfully treated for this and any other issues by our vet.)
Tyrion is currently pooping about 2-3 inches away from the box. I have tried changing the litter (he's on the third kind, from pine pellets like the humane society used, to ordinary clumping, to Cat Attract for kittens. Right now he only has one box due to the size of the bathroom I'm keeping him in, but I am hoping to be able to let him roam in my bedroom and add a second box this weekend. I've tried a lower-wall box (really a baking pan,) thinking he was maybe having trouble getting over the wall with a sore sphincter from the diarrhea. My other kitten Tristan has no access to him while he's using the litter box, and it's in a place that is private, but open so he can see.

Any ideas? He's the sweetest kitty in the world and this is the only issue he has. I just want him to move his butt about 3 inches to the right! Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried taking his poops and moving them into the box? If not, I would suggest doing that, and moving the box around a little bit (say from one wall to another). It might help him to realize that poo also belongs in the box.

Loki_Lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have a wonderful soul for helping this baby! :kiss:
Have you tried starting over with training pads? Maybe put training pads under the box exposing the sides where he usually poops? Try that first and maybe spread some litter on the exposed pad sides next where he poops to show him that the poop should be cover up with litter, or he should pee on the litter?
Also, cats who go through serious health issues take some time to recover from it. Your kitten baby in a few months of being in this world has suffered enough and maybe traumatized with all that treatment. Good thing is, he is only doing that around the litter box, so he definitely knows that is where he should go, but it may just take him time to figure out this whole poop issue as he has some recent bad experience with it. I really think he will fix it himself. If he loves treats, maybe give him one every time he comes out of the litter box? Also, you have a second baby, so I am positive, he will learn pretty quickly. He has endured so much and litter box shouldn't be any issue for your strong baby! Lots of love and prayer for his quick recovery. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whits_end

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the suggestions! I have been putting his poop in the box while he watches, but it doesn't seem to "click" with him, or the negative association is just too strong.

Loki_Lily, thank you for the hopeful words! I'm not giving up yet, but it's nice to know that he may figure it out yet. :-)