Post-vet-visit smell

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any idea how long it will take after a day & night a the vet's before a cat stops smelling strange to its cat friends?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the timing all depends on the cats involved. Scent swapping, as mentioned in the article above, by rubbing a towel or blanket on the cat who didn't go to the vet and then using that item to rub on the cat who did go to the vet might help. Using a brush in the same manner can help too.

Preparing ahead of time and having a 'scented' towel/blanket to use on the cat when they first come home from the vet might be another tactic to use in the future. Distracting them with some treats after the scent swapping might be helpful too.

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe two days, in my experience. My anxious cat, Ori, would hiss and be stand-offish to any cat that visited a vet for a day or two. Since he's been on Prozac, actually that behavior has stopped and last time he actually helped groom the smell out of her! (Of course the prozac isn't long term).

I would rub her with a blanket that smells like you and her to get it started.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Neither Sam nor Rusty, who's feral, will let me touch them so I can't do the scent swapping -- or even the vanilla trick, which I need to remember. (Since bringing him home last night, Rusty won't let me get within 8 feet before moving away.) His best buddy Sam has been looking for him, but I'm going to keep them apart because Sam will be confused and Rusty will be sad. We'll all just have to be patient for a few days. ;-) Thank y'all!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Say, your not just assuming that there would be an issue are you? Because a lot of cats just aren't sensitive to it. Many cats simply shrug and go "oh your back, still got your balls?" or something of that nature.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am assuming... usually do when I shouldn't and don't when I should! I'll let them at each other when they finish their afternoon naps. I can close the door again if it doesn't go well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am assuming... usually do when I shouldn't and don't when I should! I'll let them at each other when they finish their afternoon naps. I can close the door again if it doesn't go well.
Yeah, its absolutely good to be prepared for the possibility it could happen, but you don't need to assume its likely unless you have a cat that you know is prone to it, from a prior incident.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When Nobel was alive he always needed to decompress for 15 minutes in a room, but he was always fine with others coming back from the vet.

I've seen some posters say only 15 minutes and some a couple of days.

How did it go post-nap for you?