Post-vet Visit Aggression

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Offy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to keep bumping this thread with questions, I'm just very stressed out and tired.

In reagrds to scents, my upset cats start spitting as soon as they come out of their designated spaces and can smell other cat scents even when there is clearly no other cat there. Is this just something I have to let them deal with in order to get used to smells again? Later I'm going to have to switch the cats around so that the upset cat can have some time in the much bigger living room - she can't stay in the bedroom all the time. But in return, I'm going to have to put a cat in her bedroom and I'm worried about her reaction when she comes out AND when she goes back in.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
O Offy - even after reading all your posts in this thread, the one thing I am not clear about, is what are your cats' environments? Have you established locations that both cats can own and feel sell secure in? Do they have trees/burrows, etc, that play to each cat? If not, site / scent swapping is not the next step.....

I'm especially concerned by your comment that "my upset cats start spitting as soon as they come out of their designated spaces and can smell other cat scents". What happens if you draw them out, with an interactive toy, or treats? Can your cats be distracted from their scent anxiety, and maybe even become fully engaged in play/hunt/kill behaviors?

Offy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a two bed apartment. Each cat currently has its own room to seek refuge in. I'm keeping Bennie (she is the hyper hyper sensitive cat separate from everyone but her mother (who she's okay with) the moment. When she comes out of the bedroom and is getting spitty at the different scents but soon settles down - the same if she can smell them on me. Shes come out and has gone roaming around the hall and the other bedroom when only her mother is there. I'm allowing the other cats (vets cat and the third sibling) to share the same space on occasion. 3rd sibling only tends to spit when vet cat comes close, she can tolerate the scents and if she does spit at them she tends to calm very quickly. They have lots of places in the living room (a big cat tree, high bookcases, the sofa, the table) to sit apart from each other, in the bedrooms as they are smaller that is a bit more difficult. And yes, I can distract them with treats and chase games when they're in the mood.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking out loud, and i know you mentioned a couple of cats being spayed, but is everyone spayed? Or is this having to do with serious feline attitude that just won't quit? I so wish I could come up with something for you...

Offy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They're all spayed. It's definitely just the vets visit that has set them off. Cats are just bonkers with the way their minds work, aren't they? I think (well, hope) it's just going to be a case of time and perseverence with them. It's just stressful all round though as the cats' routine is now broken and everyone is getting a bit bored at times. They obviously miss each other - I wish I could just sit them down and give them a good talking to.

I really appreciate all the advice I've been given here. I have also contacted a cat behaviourist to see if they can offer some advice too.

Offy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no progress. Now having to see rehoming as a possibility. I'm heartbroken beyond belief.

It's mad how just one vets visit can rip apart a little family that were the best of friends.

Offy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just updating in case anyone can offer me further advice.

My cat that went to the vets (Teddy) has been accepted again by one of her sisters - the one who was quite spitty and grumpy (Geoff), not the one who was off the charts grumpy (Bennie).

I've been keeping Bennie separate while Teddy and Geoff slowly re-established their relationship but the time is now approaching to reintroduce her. Her non-recognition aggression is still in full swing, its like she's never seen her sisters before, and they are reacting to her in a similar manner. I am not in any way shape or form looking forward to this reintroducing process.

They've been swapping rooms and thus swapping scents - they happily sit in each other's places without quibble, and they are not fussed which litter box they use. I've read about starting off by feeding them on either side of a closed door - though not sure how successful I'm going to be at doing that given that it's just me here. And I've ordered a mesh pet door through which they can get used to seeing each other without being able to attack.

Any other tips?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think the feeding on opposite sides of a door will help, and then the mesh door so they see each other is good. All the best of luck!!