Post Urinary Blockage issues and recovery

Brandon4987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Apologies in advance for the novel, but it's been a long and hellish journey and I'm lost at this point on how to proceed.

On 12/4 My 2 year old Cat Milo developed a urinary blockage. Noticed he was trying to go everywhere which he's never done, then found he was unable to produce urine. This was late on a Saturday night, so I rushed him to the ER, they confirmed he was blocked and administered catheter that night. They said he unblocked easily, and catheter was going to stay in place for 24 hours. The next day, he was doing fine and they called me later that afternoon to tell me he'd managed to pull out his catheter, so they replaced it and he stayed an additional day. During the first flush out, they noted sediment in his urine and said it was most likely a combination of crystals, mucous, and sludge. No bladder stones were found. He was released on the afternoon of 12/6.

I brought him home expecting him to be normal, and was confused when he was able to pee, but only in small amounts. Contacted them, and they assured me it was normal and as long as he was peeing there was no concern. I gave him gabapentin and prazosin twice daily. On 12/7 he stilled seem to be off and in visible discomfort. Took him to my local animal hospital who checked his bladder, and said it felt a little firm, but still had a general softness to it. On 12/8 he was curled up in a pile of dirty laundry burying his face and crying while he painfully expressed urine, he was totally lethargic, leaking, and licking himself and crying constantly. I took him back to my local vet again who said his bladder was rock solid and they proceeded with a catheter. They flushed him out and found no signs of obstruction. Doctor said this was unusual and that they believe he just had excessive inflammation. She did some sort of laser treatment on him to reduce inflammation, prescribed onsior, and he was to return on 12/9 & 12/10 for additional laser treatments. This was a different doctor.

On 12/9 he seemed to be peeing better than he had. I took him back that afternoon for laser treatment and the vet tech said he felt firm. He saw another different doctor, and he was concerned. Said his bladder was totally full. I was so confused since it seemed like he was doing better. He wanted to do catheter, I explained he'd already had 2 done in the past few days and he's able to pee on his own,but only in small amounts. I asked if he was concerned if he could make it through the night which he wasn't and took him home. The next morning,12/10 same deal. He seemed okay and affectionate, eating, just not peeing much at once. Took him back and doctor insisted his bladder was full, and pushed to do a catheter. Said if he met any resistance whatsoever with catheter, we may be looking at PU surgery. Catheter went in smoothly with no issues, drained him, and kept catheter in for the day. Once again, no source of blockage was found. He said he believed he had both inflammation and his bladder had overstretched and the muscles had become weak. He was sent home, and returned on 12/11 and his bladder was smaller. He prescribed medication including Gabapentin, Prazosin, Buprenorphine, and a special order medicine called Phenoxybenzamine. He's been on everything since 12/11 with the exception of Phenoxybezamine which he started on 12/16. He's also on Royal canin SO since 12/9.

I took him out of concern on 12/15 as he had jumped up on the counter and in hindsight think he must have whacked himself, but he was crying like I'd never heard. A different vet working checked his bladder and said it felt tiny. She said his penis did look irritated/bruised and asked if he was licking. I said I had noticed him licking a bit. She said to just monitor and he continued, to put an e-collar on him a few days.

So here's where we're at currently. as of 12/21. He's still on all the medications 3 times per day. Any time he tries to pee, he's able to pee, but only in small amounts. I'm confident I have not missed an attempt as I literally installed a smart video camera and make sure he's able to go every time he goes. I called the vet yesterday to explain he hasn't gotten any worse, but haven't seen any real improvements either. He's due to return This week on 12/23 for a physical examination since it will have been a week since he's been on the phenoxybenzamine.

He's going a lot of times per day, anywhere between 9-12+, but it's only ever small amounts. He doesn't strain when going, but does lick himself down there every time after he goes. This has caused overwhelming amounts of anxiety and stress, and I'm doing my best to keep up with the medication and observing him as much as possible. I've done so much research trying to find someone who had a similar situation and am just at a loss.

Is it possible the repeated catheters caused so much irritation it's something that can take weeks to resolve? Could his urethera be damaged? Something else entirely? I'm grasping at straws. I know PU surgery is an option, and I'm not even adverse to getting it at this point. I just don't want to do it unless it's sure to resolve his current issues. I just don't know how much longer to wait on this and am concerned.

If you made it this so far, thank you for taking the time to read. Any advice, insight, or similar experiences are greatly appreciated.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From my very unprofessional opinion, and experience via having my own cat that had blockage, sounds very inflamed and recommend getting him on corn silk (seven drops, a few times a day to start until urinating normal, then drop to twice a day) and D-Mannose (1/8 teaspoon, once a day) immediately. Use for 90 days.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is a combination of him being afraid to pee and him being sore. With this condition you are going to be spending the next 3 months following him to the litter box and worrying. I wish I though of the camera idea when mine had this issue. Usually when they are catheterized it’s for a day or two. I’m surprised they didn’t keep his catheters in longer. The opening from the bladder is also irritated and can shrink so only a little comes outs As long as he’s going more that a few drops he is on the right track. It’s really important to encourage him to drink a lot of liquid. I put out several more bowls of water and I found that mine drank just because he was walking by the bowl so he drank a lot. Keep your chin up it’s a hellish condition for kitty and family because you are always worrying. The medications do work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brandon4987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think this is a combination of him being afraid to pee and him being sore. With this condition you are going to be spending the next 3 months following him to the litter box and worrying. I wish I though of the camera idea when mine had this issue. Usually when they are catheterized it’s for a day or two. I’m surprised they didn’t keep his catheters in longer. The opening from the bladder is also irritated and can shrink so only a little comes outs As long as he’s going more that a few drops he is on the right track. It’s really important to encourage him to drink a lot of liquid. I put out several more bowls of water and I found that mine drank just because he was walking by the bowl so he drank a lot. Keep your chin up it’s a hellish condition for kitty and family because you are always worrying. The medications do work.

Hoping this is the case. I just want to see some level of improvement as the days continue to go on. We're at 11 days since his last catheter. His 1st catheter was in for 24 hours. The other two times were quick I believe because they found no actual source of blockage, very clean urine, and they didn't want to leave it in too long and risk causing even further irritation/inflammation. The smart camera has been invaluable. I bought a wyze pan cam that's stationed right above his litter box and get an alert any time it defects motion, so it eases my mind while I'm at work for the day and obviously would be a huge help in early detection of a second blockage if that day ever comes. This has been one of the longest months of my life and I feel so bad for him. He's on soo many drugs that make him extremely tired. When they start to wear off he's affectionate, playful, and acts 90% of his normal self. I have place multiple bowls of water around the house which I changed every day, I also got one of those fountains. Some days he seems to drink a lot, others not so much. Will definitely post any updates as they occur. Thanks!

Brandon4987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After all the assaults on his urethra and bladder from the catheters, it's not surprising that he's peeing small amounts but often. Here is another thread where similar things happen, starting with post #14. Hopefully it's helpful: After 48 hour spent in vet, now will not stop yelling.
Yes, that's what I'm hoping, but it just bothers me that there's been no real improvement which is why I guess it's driving me so crazy. I will give this a read. Thank you.

Kimluvs2dance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I know this thread is old, but what ended up happening? My boy is going through a very similar situation except he was only one the catheter once.

Brandon4987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I know this thread is old, but what ended up happening? My boy is going through a very similar situation except he was only one the catheter once.
Hi there, I just saw the email notification for this and wanted to make sure I responded since I know what a nightmare of a situation it is dealing with that. It was a long and frustrating process, but my boy eventually recovered, and we've had no further issues since. I have kept him on the prescription Purina urinary food and will continue to do so for his life since I want no parts of that experience again. I did give him d-mannose and corn silk drops for a bit, however I honestly can't recall if I saw a dramatic improvement from these. I certainly didn't see any adverse effects, so it may not hurt to try if you haven't already. All in all, i'd say he was fully recovered about 1-1.25 months after I made this post. Hang in there!!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for replying and it is good to know that your cat has been fine since.

D Mannose is a good supplement to use for urinary issues and I have done so, against all odds, with a dog several years ago. It will not cure an existing infection and cannot dissolve crystals, but is a non adherent which prevents bacteria from clinging to the bladder walls. It has a slightly sweet taste and depending on your cat's tastes, might need to be disguised in food which is fairly tasty.

Kimluvs2dance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I just saw the email notification for this and wanted to make sure I responded since I know what a nightmare of a situation it is dealing with that. It was a long and frustrating process, but my boy eventually recovered, and we've had no further issues since. I have kept him on the prescription Purina urinary food and will continue to do so for his life since I want no parts of that experience again. I did give him d-mannose and corn silk drops for a bit, however I honestly can't recall if I saw a dramatic improvement from these. I certainly didn't see any adverse effects, so it may not hurt to try if you haven't already. All in all, i'd say he was fully recovered about 1-1.25 months after I made this post. Hang in there!!!
Thank you so much for responding. You are a sweet person. I am so afraid they will put the catheter back in if he doesn’t start peeing full pees. I posted his journey on a post yesterday if you want to read about this experience. Maybe you can help me to what could happen next, bad or good. I appreciate it so much🙏🏻

Kimluvs2dance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m also so glad to hear your kitty is doing amazing!!!