Post-Surgery Anxiety

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mei Mei had a small cyst removed from his cheek on Friday, along with one tooth extraction.
I'm just having mega anxiety and need some advice on how kitties are supposed to act with stitches and such. He's had dental cleanings and extractions before, but for the life of me I can't remember him being so upset. Could it have something to do with the sore incision spot?
Please ease my mind.

Edited to add: he's still eating like a horse, and wants pets and treats. He's not like BIG ANGRY.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear he's eating! Has the vet said his behavior is normal related to his pain meds or something like that?
Yeah. I mean most cats will be a bit off for a few days I suppose after a surgery. I'm just a wiggy cat mom with lots of anxiety.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Mei Mei is probably still feeling sore/pain after the surgery. Did the doc give him any meds to help with the pain?

My cat was grumpy for about a week after her surgery but eventually got better after the pain subsided. It was pretty tough for me because my cat is very hard to pill so I only gave her the antibiotics and she pretty much dealt with the pain herself.

Try not touch anywhere near the incision because if he’s still sore she will growl at you. Just continue giving him lots of pats and cuddles.

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20191230_195033.jpg

I have no idea what stitches look like when they're healing. He's pretty active. And the incision isn't draining or bleeding or seeping. Doesn't seem to hurt him much. *he tries to rub his cheeks on literally everything.*
I just worry a whole a** lot. It feels a bit hard and raised, but his vet said that's his immune system helping out in healing since he rubs it on stuff.

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor guy, it's healing, so it's consequently itchy. Try and keep him from rubbing it... I know that's challenging :)!
Does it look... Normalish? My mom comes to watch him while I'm at work during the day, and says it looks normal. But he's never had stitches before since he's been with me, and I as a person have never had stitches so I have NO IDEA what I'm looking at.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It does look relatively normal to me as well, although maybe a little bit red, but it's a very fresh incision. He really does need to stop rubbing it if possible, it'll heal faster if it's not irritated by him :)

I don't have good ideas how to keep him from rubbing, anything you put around his neck might stop him from actively being able to scratch at it, but will irritate it on its own.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nice to hear he’s finally not as sore as he was earlier. He will get better. I totally know what it’s like WORRY A LOT because I’m guilty of the same :p

But you can be at peace now because he’s going to be 100% back to himself soon and you’ll forget about the stitches.

Btw..my cat has the same name too which means “little sister”.