Post spay lump

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, this is my second time here and i hope to get as much help as i did the first time.
I spayed my second cat monday and everything went fine,she stayed at the vet for one night then once i got her home i had her confined in a small room with nothing but her litter box,food/water bowls and bed,she poops and pees daily (once or twice per day) she also has a normal appetite and takes antibiotics couple times a day.
Only problem i noticed was a little lump (or two??idk) along her incision..it feels kinda hard but doesn’t hurt her when i touch it,it’s dry and isn’t hot or anything...it showed up the first day home and has kept the same size and shape since then.
Im scared it might be a hernia (even tho she hasn’t moved AT ALL from her little room)
A3669AFF-6D0D-43E3-AD6A-BC3893887A9F.jpeg
EACF3A00-9411-4B3E-9D4F-1FC9D3E5D15C.jpeg
because my first cat had it and it traumatized me!!..she has a check up this monday but idk if i should take her in earlier than that. if anyone experienced this i would appreciate some help.
(The silver substance is an anti-bacterial spray)

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks okay to me. There's bound to be some swelling at first, so give it a few days to see if it goes down.
I've never seen silver anti-bacterial spray... interesting.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lumps and bumps are reasonably common following surgeries like that. It really does look within normal bounds. I'd watch it for another 24 hours. IF IT GROWS or becomes hot, or there is drainage, or if she seems to be in pain, take her in. Good thing you took pictures, you can compare them tomorrow, and really see if this is growing at all! NICE WORK! And if you feel you need to, you might call your vet and ask if you can email the photos to them for a decision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for taking the time to reply! Her lump is still the same size it hasn’t grown or shown any sign of infection which i believe should be reassuring lol she has a vet appointement tomorrow anyway and will have it checked out,but i have noticed these past two days that she has diarrhea,it started as soft poo and now it’s almost completly liquid! She seems fine and even more energetic than usual but she doesn’t drink water at all but i guess thats because she only eats wet food?? (I add a bit of water to it most of the time) i was wondering if that might be a side effect of the antibiotic she’s taking? It’s a small dose of amoxicillin taken twice a day.
I also used to give her a bit of boiled skinless pumpkin the first days after surgery to help her bowl movement. Is this a cause for concern?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry no one replied! Yes diarrhea can be a side effect. If you haven't gone into the vet yet, you can ask for a probiotic to give for a bit until the antibiotics are finished. Pumpkin is fine, I usually used canned because it is easier but either way, just a little will add some fiber.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely it's "just" a build up of scar tissue and swelling from the procedure. As mentioned above, as long as there is no weeping,odor, or it's not an angry red, she's okay.

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry no one replied! Yes diarrhea can be a side effect. If you haven't gone into the vet yet, you can ask for a probiotic to give for a bit until the antibiotics are finished. Pumpkin is fine, I usually used canned because it is easier but either way, just a little will add some fiber.
Thanks for replying! Her diarreah has calmed down a bit and yes i took her to the vet who didn’t really think it’s a problem as long as she is eating and acting fine,he just gave her an anti-inflammatory shot to reduce the swelling on the incision (which was due to a minor suture reaction thankfully!)

Baya08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
5E9EB041-4408-4048-AEA7-D469824D9FF3.jpeg
T
Most likely it's "just" a build up of scar tissue and swelling from the procedure. As mentioned above, as long as there is no weeping,odor, or it's not an angry red, she's okay.
That is exactly what the vet told me today after checking it,there is no odor and isn’t red,she doesn’t seem in pain or anything but i did see a little drop of blood earlier which i assumed was due to excessive movement? The trip to the vet stresses her out and she moves alot in her carrier...should i worry that it might be an infection? It’s her 7th day post-op and seeing blood surprised me because i thought she should be healed by now!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it was just a drop or two, not to fret. It can happen. Healing takes place from the inside out, and occasional, MINOR bleeding isn't unheard of in an active cat.

Sorry I missed your post about the diarrhea. Amoxicillin can certainly cause it, and jen jen beat me to it with the pumpkin remedy!