Post-Spay Care (Isolation?)

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Last Thursday my 6 month old kittens Pickles and Pepper went for their spay and neuter.  I think the surgeries went well but the vet said that Pickles shouldn't get any exercise for a week since spaying is a major surgery.  I get that but it's hard to keep her calm.  She's our wacky, spastic one.  Our kittens get along but they love to play fight and I think they're still agitated from the stress of the surgery so their fighting is a little more aggressive than usual.  Pickles has some scratches by her scar and it looks like one of the stitches has been nicked open (keeping any eye on for infection).

Anyways, today the vet called just to make sure things were going OK and I let her know what was going on and she said to keep Pickles isolated for the week so she can stay calm.  We have a guest room so I've been keeping her in there with food, water, a litterbox and the carrier if she wants somewhere small to hide.  However, both my cats are so miserable.  They miss each other so much.  I have visited Pickles twice today and even brought Pepper in for a short visit.  I felt so sorry for her I've let her out now and of course she is running around and jumping on everything.

I get the point of isolation but she is pyschologically fragile.  She's skittish and will bolt if you approach her yet she demands loads of attention and snuggles (just on her terms).  She loves cuddles but hates being held.  Is gentle with the kids but will avoid them when possible.  I just feel isolating her for a whole week will do more harm than good.

What do you guys think?  Would it be OK just to isolate her for a few hours at a time so she can get a rest and then let her out again?  My husband even suggested alternating isolating the two in the room so they can have turns socializing with us but not play fight with each other.  But that doesn't solve them missing each other.

Last edited:

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She'll be alright for one week. She sounds like a shy kitty who needs encounters to be on her terms to feel comfortable. I think your husbands idea was a good one! If she opens up that suture or injures herself, you'll feel even worse than you do now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's doing great. :)  The part of the stitches she nicked open healed up by the next day.  I ended up letting her out of the guest room but left the door open so she had somewhere quiet to retreat.  She stayed hidden most of the time but is slowly opening up again.  She's starting to follow me around a bit more again though still not quite as much as she used to. 

She has dissolvable stitches and they're already pretty invisible.  Now it is really just a matter of waiting for her fur to grow back.  She and her brother Pepper are snuggling more together again too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I way say that while Pepper is the family cat, Pickles is the cat who lives here.  ha ha  She's very sweet and can be demanding when she wants to be pet and stroked but she'll always be timid.