Post-spat Vaginal Bleeding

Sweetlully

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. This is my first time posting here, I usually find answers searching through this forum but can’t find anything quite like this specific problem.

My cat was spayed on the 30th, she had vaginal discharge and it turned out to be an infection of the uterus/Pyometra. She was given a weeks worth of antibiotics. She was healing fairly well afterwards. I noticed a slight decrease in eating the second week but nothing noteworthy.

The day after having her sutures(2 weeks after surgery) removed I noticed some spotting on her vulva. I had not checked prior my cat just happened to put her butt in my face that day. They are tiny bits of dried blood. Immediately called vet and was assured that it was normal and to keep an eye on it. It continued, so I called 3 days later and was told it was normal. I called again today to ask when it would stop and was told it was normal and could possibly continue for up to 2 months after surgery.

I can’t find further information about this online. So my question is, is this in fact normal? Or should I seek another vet’s opinion? It has been going on for at least ten days, it is a minor amount and intermittent. I would say about a sesame seed sized amount of dried blood accumulates in a day. She is eating ok and seems more or less healthy, although she’s easily stressed and was having nightmares up until last week.

Any insight is welcome! Thanks

Lalexa67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would take her to another vet for a second opinion. This would not be something I would play around with. Best case scenario is that she is fine and you may find a vet who can work better with your concerns. Best to you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's possible for a cat to get an infection in the uterine stump after spaying. Since she already had pyo, I think the chance of another infection is higher than usual. I think a second opinion is necessary.

Last edited:

Areti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old post but me too can't find anything online and my cat has the same symptom. She was spayed 12 days ago (she was also pregnant) and while she's recovering quite well a week after surgery I noticed the smallest amount of brownish discharge from her vagina. The vet also said that it's normal but I worry,even though the cat is fine otherwise and the discharge is very very little. I wonder what happened with your cat, or if anyone else had to deal with it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had any experience with that personally, sorry. Since she was pregnant, her hormones are probably going all wacky so anything could happen. If the vet said it's nothing to worry about I'd trust them :).

Areti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. She is very active and with good appetite and it calms me down a little. I hope this symptom is because the pregnancy made the spay surgery more complicated. Tonight she had a little more pink discharge and it made me worried, if it continues I will call again the vet on Monday.