Post pictures of your precious Blue / Gray / Maltese cats here!

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always believed that dogs and cats can conceive pain and stress in us or other animals easier than we are able to. Not that we as humans aren't perceptive, that's not what I mean. Think you're spot on with  your thought there, Checkers.Cats, in particular, are quite amazing in that regard, I know my Midnight was that way. I've had other cats in my life, but Midnight was stellar in that aspect.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, @Dennis47  , that those feline perception skills vary between cats (or maybe it's just their reaction once they've perceived pain/stress that varies).  Two of the several cats I've had over the years - one my own and one a foster - would come running to me when I sneezed!  They seemed quite concerned and would get agitated, meowing at me.  My current foster boy gets a little concerned with sneezing too, but not like the others.  

Speaking of my current foster boy (okay, maybe not the smoothest segue
After initially giving it a wide berth, he's really taken to my very old and dilapidated scratching post and spends most of his time scratching it or sleeping at the base of it.

He loves the little brush I've been using on him and belts it around the house.  Much prefers it to balls.

Winston doesn't like being on your lap, but cuddling up with just part of his body resting on yours, purring loudly.  

And that 'Joker' smile at some angles can be kind of cute.

@MServant, I've done your suggested double-fur test, and I think he passes. I can stroke it in any direction and if I don't pat it back down, it stays stuck up looking quite messy, even though it's not long fur.  

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Checkers   Winston looks like he has totally settled in to your place and is very comfortable in your home.  What a handsome and fit looking mancat he is.   

His fur looks quite a bit longer and not as dense and Mouse's (his fur is seriously dense though), but oh boy how silky soft and shiny it looks.   
    You sure you're not going to see if there is some way you can keep this guy?   That lay in against you but snuggling on your lap is such a frustrating habbit - that is what Mouse usually does.  
   It's only when I'm on my computer or he wants to get my attention that I get brief lap time. 

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 His fur looks quite a bit longer and not as dense and Mouse's (his fur is seriously dense though), but oh boy how silky soft and shiny it looks.   
    You sure you're not going to see if there is some way you can keep this guy? 
Thanks @MServant   Yes, I do see what you mean now about the length of fur compared to Mouse's.  I take it Mouse is a purebred Russian Blue?

And yep, as usual, I always fall for them and try to work out if there's some way I can keep the foster cats.  My elderly mother, who lives with me and who's been in hospital now for more than 2 weeks, has issues with cats and I can appreciate her concerns.  But if she changes her mind, things might work out.  Winston is very chilled and as he's not a lap cat or a biter and scratcher, that rules out a few of the issues for her.  But he still likes getting on our beds (when we're in them) and kneading with his big claws, and walks in front of you to block your path (or steer you to the cat-food cupboard!), and those are both problems for her.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear your mother's in hospital right now @Checkers, I remember her well from some of your other threads.  Yes, Winston's little game of trying to steer his humans to the food cupboard could be a big problem for her, along with his loving kneading massages where he forgets humans don't have nice thick fur to protect them from razor sharp claws....   

Mouse does have a pedigree RB certificate, but there are plenty of RBs that have longer fur than he does, and fur which does not look quite so dense - I have been told Mouse's fur is a wonderful example of Russian Blue fur and there are many Grand Champions and above whose fur is not as precious as his.  
   He's pretty cuddly too which helps.  
     It is unlikely any of us will ever know whether Winston has a pedigree certificate unless his original keepers turn up, but I wouldn't want to rule it out.  
  His love of food, his lovely nature and super soft all direction fur, and general colouring are all in good keeping.   Yes Russian Blues do have a terrible reputation for liking their food a bit too much.  
   I think Mouse would have me believe he needs extra food to keep his energy up for all the cuddles that are demanded of him and to keep his fur as thick as it is.  

Last edited:

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 ... I have been told Mouse's fur is a wonderful example of Russian Blue fur and there are many Grand Champions and above whose fur is not as precious as his... It is unlikely any of us will ever know whether Winston has a pedigree certificate unless his original keepers turn up, but I wouldn't want to rule it out.  
@MServant, I can see, even from the photos, that Mouse's fur is something special indeed.  I am not surprised at all the comments on what a wonderful example of RB fur it is.  It looks irresistibly cuddlesome! 

I'm almost certain Winston is not a RB now.  After more Googling I see they can have no colour other than grey.  He has a white speck of fur at the top of his right leg.  It looks like a tiny piece of fluff has landed there and you go to pick it off and realise it's connected!  

Also, I'm pretty sure his foot pads are grey, and not mauve as RB's apparently have.  

Of course, it doesn't make him any less adorable, but I thought if I could put a 'likely RB' label on him it would make him more attractive on the very competitive  adoption market.  

Next is the dental exam, and then the marketing.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Checkers   I'm confident that Winston Churchill is going to market himself.  
   I mean look at how handsome he is!  
    And with that silky soft fur and snugglesome purrsonality who is going to pass him by?  

Heheheh, I can just imagine how annoying it must be for him when people try to pull off his little white fluffy bit.  
   Winston probably spends hours grooming it to keep it a nice shiny, clean white and then humans come along and try to brush it away.  
      Good luck with the dental.   

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 I'm confident that Winston Churchill is going to market himself.  
   I mean look at how handsome he is!  
    And with that silky soft fur and snugglesome purrsonality who is going to pass him by?  
Thank you @MServant!  I hope so.  And who knows, the uniqueness of that little white fluffy bit might just be in his favour!  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you @MServant!  I hope so.  And who knows, the uniqueness of that little white fluffy bit might just be in his favour!  
Totally!  It will always be easier to pick Winston out in a gang of blue kitties with such a unique little splash of white.  
    Now you've mentionned it I looked back at your photos and I'm sure I can see the little patch you mean. Heheh.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 I looked back at your photos and I'm sure I can see the little patch you mean. Heheh.
Yes, @MServant  , you can see it in the photo of Winston playing with the brush beside his scratch post.  It really does look like he's picked up a bit of dust from lying around the house.  In fact, when he comes out from behind furniture, he has a lot more of them on him! 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, @MServant  , you can see it in the photo of Winston playing with the brush beside his scratch post.  It really does look like he's picked up a bit of dust from lying around the house.  In fact, when he comes out from behind furniture, he has a lot more of them on him! 
    I know that look!  Mouse emerged from under my sofa the other day looking like some weird grey and white dalmation kitty.  
    Thankfully he soon dusted himself off.   I was amazed at how much fluff he managed to pick up because it's a new sofa which had only been there about a day and the floor thoroughly cleaned before it was put in place.    My old sofa didn't have enough space under it for him to get underneath so he's loving hiding under this one.  Poor guy - this one isn't staying and the sofa I'm now looking at ha a drawer underneath so he'll loose his hiding place again.   I feel very mean.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Only a little mean @Checkers- the sofa that's here now is way too hard for me to sit on so I'm on chairs and no room for Mouse to come and sit with me on the chair - so soft sofa it must be.  Not to mention he needs a folded up blanket on this sofa for him to go curl up on it and the one I plan to change it for should be much more cozy for both of us.  

Just it won't have a nice little hidey space for the Mouse to go sneaking in to and lay in wait for passing ankles to go by.  
     (Mostly he likes to go sniff about under there to see if there are any biscuits that got lost since he last checked).  

He'll probably like the next one I plan to order even better come to think of it - it has a nice deep wooden drawer underneath that he will be able to (try and) dive in to when I'm changing it between being a sofa and a bed.  And as making beds is one of his favourite passtimes there is no way he will be anywhere else when such a change over is happening.  

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Looks to me like Bo and Sassy want to keep tracks on their human/s and make sure no one's going too far with those bags unless they get to go with them @RaeRae624.  
   No doubt over who rules your home.  
   This cat pack of 2 are an awsome duo and it looks like no one's going to get away with anything unless they say so.  Gorgeous or what!  

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
My cats must be weird. I have these polyester throws, most are give-aways from various places like World Wildlife Fund, and I use these to cover furniture. My cats prefer these over "bare" furniture.  Maybe it's because they are warm and cushy.