Post - Operation Worries

Hinglish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. New to the site and just adopted a stray cat in India. I just had her spayed today and they don't offer the same post-op support as they do back home in the UK. Basically they give them back to you straight off the operating table, still asleep and its up to you to take care of them. It's all been a bit traumatic!

Of course she's wobbly and a bit grouchy. but its 8 hours later and I'm wondering when I might start to see her get back to herself? She's eaten a tiny amount but not drunk any water or been to the toilet. I think its going to be a long night ahead - just need some moral support!

Any post op stories to share?

Thanks!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It usually takes a day or so for the anaesthetic to wear off. You should see a difference tomorrow with the eating and drinking. Just keep a eye on her and stop her from jumping. Is she wearing a collar to stop her bothering the wound?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hinglish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No she's got a bandage on which I've been told not to remove. Partially this is making her go crazy trying to get it off...I guess they just do things a bit differently here.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can imagine the bandage driving her mad poor thing. Keep an eye on her that she doesn't get it off. If you are able to get a collar for her, whilst they usually dont like it, most seem to accept it after a couple of hours. Many vets use internal stitches as well as external, it might be worth asking your vet the question. The main thing is that she stays quiet for a few days. Please keep us posted on her recovery.

Hinglish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much.

Hinglish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: She's recovering well. Sadly had to put a little collar on her as she was going crazy biting the bandage but she's almost back to herself.