Post-op question????????????????

prncss89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two boys (Jack and Lil' Man) were neutered yesterday. These are the first pets I have had done. (their mama cat and sisters go Monday) The post-op papers state no running, playing and jumping for 7-10 days!
Well yesterday I kept them in a small room to rest. This morning when I went to go feed them they both ran out the room and are climbing stuff and wanting to play!!! I put them back in the room and they starte to cry. How do I keep them still and calm?

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's not much you can do- they'll be fine.

I think they give out the same aftercare instructions for the boys as they do the girls, but the boys recover much more quickly.

When it is the girls time I would keep them separately, in singles for a day or two, but you can't keep a cat down for long.

How old are they all? The oldest female will have the toughest time of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prncss89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Mama cat adopted me and had kittens in my house lol My vet said she is about a year and a half. They kittens are 13 weeks i think maybe 14 (too tired to think lol)

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet likes to give us hilarious care instuctions too - like the time our vet suggested immersing Slayer's foot in warm salty water for 10 min - even he couldn't keep a straight face!

Your kitties will be fine.

ETA: after Molly had surgery for cancer the vet warned us that she probably would not feel like eating that evening. Yeah, right! She was still wobbly from the anasthetic and fell on her butt on the way to the food bowl, but nothing was going to stop her from chowing down.

I immediately rang the vet. nurse and she was like "yeah, we always say that."

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill

There's not much you can do- they'll be fine.

I think they give out the same aftercare instructions for the boys as they do the girls, but the boys recover much more quickly.

When it is the girls time I would keep them separately, in singles for a day or two, but you can't keep a cat down for long.

How old are they all? The oldest female will have the toughest time of it.
If they are young (kittenish), I wouldn't seperate the girls either, or expect them to rest much. They might, but they are pretty resilient too - I'd expect them to play the next day or possibly that evening (both of ours did, but they are energy balls anyway). I would only seperate them if they seem like they are being hasseled.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momma cat I might try to keep seperate and away from the kits after her surgery, but the kits should be fine.

Heck, Ivory had an eye removed at 4 months, and she was playing that night, that right there is a good indication of the resiliance of a kitten.

All I would do is keep an eye out that they don't mess with the surgery site.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Momma cat I might try to keep seperate and away from the kits after her surgery, but the kits should be fine.
Maybe put a tube sock (with the end cut off) on her tummy so she can snuggle with the kits, but they can't hurt her.