Post-op Benji

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Benji had his neuter operation yesterday, I will describe it to you all and if your kitty is getting neutered this might help.

Let’s begin.

The night before the neuter I had to fast him starting at 9:00 PM and he was not happy about that... He slept well that night and I woke up early that morning to drive him over to the place where he would get neutered.

Since I live in the big city, I conveniently live close to a humane society who does neuters and spays. I have heard nothing but good reviews from my friends who got the procedure for their pets done their too so I went over and dropped him off at the on-site clinic.

During the car ride he seemed a bit agitated, like he knew this ride was important. I waited in line for quite some time until the doors opened (I was thirteenth in line) but Benji at that point was beginning to meow terribly loudly. He had never done this type of crazy meowing before but I knew it was becuase he was probably a bit hungry, so I gave him some reassuring strokes through the carrier door.

Benji soon got into the clinic and disappeared, but a few minutes later a nurse came and informed me that he was attacking the vet who was examining him before the operation. (???) This had never happened before... Benji seemed to really dislike being fasted because he was usually very kind to all vets.

I had to sign a waiver for him to be sedated during the examination but the nurse informed me there was a slightly higher chance of death. I got really worried at this point but my sister urged me to just get it done because this happens to millions of cats.

Reluctantly, I signed and left the clinic.

I came back at 4:00, first in line this time! I went in and got a few sheets that confirmed his neutering along with a sheet that contained his microchip tag (he got microchipped during the neuter), and I was watched a post-op care video that was shown on the TV while I was waiting. Benji got taken out first, since he got done first due to the early sedation. He looked a bit groggy with dilated pupils and I drove him home. When he arrived he was a bit sluggish.

He was wearing the cone of shame too so I tried to make him feel as good as possible while wearing that thing, giving him a bit of food even though he was not very hungry.

That night he did not poop but just peed.

Today he is feeling better and it is a lot easier for him to eat and drink with the cone, he is beginning to get back to normal! The incision looks absolutely great and the recovery seems to be speeding up every second.

The experience in total was perfectly fine, I was a bit shaken up because this is my first kitten but I am glad I got it done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is some post-op care info if you are getting your male kitty neutered!

- Make sure they do not jump up or from high places for a while
- If you see him biting or licking at the incision and it could be bad for him, put a cone on
- If you are putting a cone on it should be left on for about a week in my opinion
- If you are picking him up in the afternoon feed him 1/4 of his normal meal that night. The next day resume normal feeding
- Check the incision twice a day and look for any redness or swelling. If it looks bad call your vet!
- Your cat will be groggy, take it easy on them
- Don’t be worried if their GI system is a bit wonky the first day
-

I got this all from the pamphlet given out to me that talked about post-op care, please let me know if there is aything missing because I wrote this all from memory.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Awww... sweet Benji. :cloud9: Give him a cuddle from me.

And you've covered things very well. :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good information that you shared for everyone! :)

He is a really cute guy. Hopefully he will be all recovered soon. I know how much mine hated the cone... they got use to it, but on one ever liked it. :angrycat:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for sharing!

Funny story related to the behavior with the vet....my Moms cat is a totally love bug. About six months ago I took him into the vet for something and my Mom couldn’t go. We’ve done all three cats at once appointments or I’ve gone with her before and he’s always been fine. So no big deal, right?

Wrong. So so wrong.

He ended up on today of a cabinet and both the vet tech and I ended up bloody. And it wasn’t even him getting shots or anything. Just an annual exam and physical check.

Fast forward to three weeks ago and he had another appointment. This time I told my Mom she had to be there. What happens? He is perfect and the vet commented on how calm and well behaved he is. Even when the vet was messing with his eye and shinning a light in it. Even with dye drops out in the eye (pretty sure just a blocked tear duct). Nothing. Mellow and calm. I told my Mom it confirms that she must be present for all his appointments.

But my boy also has a note on his file that he is to be sedated if not with me or a few of the vet staff he likes. We see a different vet or our normal tech isn’t around and he gets taken where I can’t follow? He will fight and people will get hurt. I pretty much insist he doesn’t get moved into the back areas unless I can go too.

Which just shows you that our cats can be purrfect angels for us and demon children for others.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Benji is a cutie. Love the last pic with the tongue action! I know it’s the angle, but it makes his tongue look huge. :) Reminds me of the photo I took of petite Mocha lying next to her larger sister. The angle makes Mocha look gigantic.

I’m glad he made it through safely. He looks pretty relaxed for a kitty in a cone.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie was good at his neutering, which was rather surprising. At one of his early appointments, the vet took him to the back to draw blood for the feline leukemia test. She came out laughing because he had started "screaming bloody murder" as soon as she held him down on the table. I was a bit mortified because even then I knew he only had certain areas he tolerated being touched.