Post-neuter grogginess & balance issues?

Sarakins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Today I had my litter of 3 rescue kittens neutered. They are about 12 weeks old and all over 3lbs. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a cat post-surgery so I’m hoping I’m just paranoid!

The facility said everything went fine with their surgeries and the boys were very vocal on the way home (making sure all the brothers were still there!) Now that we’re home, 2 of them have eaten and are acting relatively normal (sleepy, but not overly so) but the 3rd boy, Joe, is VERY tired. He was super loud in the car, but now he is sleeping so deeply and he’s very wobbly when he tries to walk. Is he going to be okay? Do I just need to wait it out?

Thank you for reading!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got my girl Gabby spayed last month she couldn't stand up without falling over... when she would try to get up we tried to help her walk to litter box and food/water.. even with help she wasn't able to hold her body up I can explain it as she was super drunk and had the spins or something...

Her being that wobbly and just falling down if she tried to stand was so scarry i really thought something went wrong too.. i thought there were problems with her anesthesia. I thought her oxygen dipped too low or that she had a stroke and it was brain damage. Thats how severe her wobbly self was I was bawling thinking the worst...

I kept calling the vet who spayed her 5 times just that day..
but everything was fine she was just really medicated

Also when she was sleeping she slept deep.. breathing and everything was fine she was just in a real deep sleep.
This literally lasted over 12 hours after we brought her home.. even the next day she was a little unsteady on her feet but better than the day before. I hope this helps put your mind at ease a little.

But if you are concerned that something might be wrong please don't hesitate to call the vet and explain what is going on. I called the vet who did her spay 5 times that day and a few more during the whole healing process.. even took her in to have them check out her spay incision.

****But like I mentioned if you have any concerns please don't hesitate to call the vet.****

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd give it a little more time. Kittens typically bounce back fast, but like heatherwillard0614 heatherwillard0614 said... I had a cat who "went under" for a dental. He was out of it and wobbly for the rest of the afternoon evening. He got a good night's sleep and was fine the next day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarakins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I got my girl Gabby spayed last month she couldn't stand up without falling over... when she would try to get up we tried to help her walk to litter box and food/water.. even with help she wasn't able to hold her body up I can explain it as she was super drunk and had the spins or something...

Her being that wobbly and just falling down if she tried to stand was so scarry i really thought something went wrong too.. i thought there were problems with her anesthesia. I thought her oxygen dipped too low or that she had a stroke and it was brain damage. Thats how severe her wobbly self was I was bawling thinking the worst...

I kept calling the vet who spayed her 5 times just that day..
but everything was fine she was just really medicated

Also when she was sleeping she slept deep.. breathing and everything was fine she was just in a real deep sleep.
This literally lasted over 12 hours after we brought her home.. even the next day she was a little unsteady on her feet but better than the day before. I hope this helps put your mind at ease a little.

But if you are concerned that something might be wrong please don't hesitate to call the vet and explain what is going on. I called the vet who did her spay 5 times that day and a few more during the whole healing process.. even took her in to have them check out her spay incision.

****But like I mentioned if you have any concerns please don't hesitate to call the vet.****
Well we broke out the canned food and he came to life! Still a bit wobbly but definitely acting more like his usual self.

your post 100% made me feel better though! My vets office is unfortunately closed now but I will call them in the AM if I’m still worried. Surgery day is scary for everyone, especially moms!!!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just remember a cat neuter is completely different than a cat spay. A spay takes anywhere from 10 minutes prep time and 10 minutes surgery time, to 15 minutes and 45 minutes respectively. A spay is a full abdominal surgery with blood loss and internal organs exposed. One would expect discomfort and grogginess even if given pain medications, which most vets do.

A neuter is less than 3 minutes of prep and under 5 minutes surgery. It is external and the anesthesia used is often much different than with a spay. It is usually done only with injectable medications and they are often reversed. Many vets do not administer pain meds with neuters.

A cat neuter should not be wobbly unless done very late.
But, you did what I would have suggested and offered food. It sounds like all went well. I would still let your vet know, so they can make a note of it in his file that he is a lightweight when it comes to sedation/anesthesia. My horse was too. Some are.
Thank you for neutering your cats.

Sarakins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Just remember a cat neuter is completely different than a cat spay. A spay takes anywhere from 10 minutes prep time and 10 minutes surgery time, to 15 minutes and 45 minutes respectively. A spay is a full abdominal surgery with blood loss and internal organs exposed. One would expect discomfort and grogginess even if given pain medications, which most vets do.

A neuter is less than 3 minutes of prep and under 5 minutes surgery. It is external and the anesthesia used is often much different than with a spay. It is usually done only with injectable medications and they are often reversed. Many vets do not administer pain meds with neuters.

A cat neuter should not be wobbly unless done very late.
But, you did what I would have suggested and offered food. It sounds like all went well. I would still let your vet know, so they can make a note of it in his file that he is a lightweight when it comes to sedation/anesthesia. My horse was too. Some are.
Thank you for neutering your cats.
Well now I’m worried!! 😟 Joe is still reallyyy sleepy (about 6 hours since bringing home). The kittens were also given vaccines (rabies, fhcpch, feLV), a microchip, and a pain injection. The procedure was done at a low-cost clinic through my rescue organization.

Joe has eaten (wet and dry food), drank water, and peed. He’s run out of the room a few times, but he’s still a bit shaky/slow when walking. His breathing is normal and I can tell he wants to play but he’s just so tired! Do I need to get him to an emergency vet or just give him some time tonight & call my regular vet tomorrow??

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can’t tell you because I am not there, and not a vet. He may have just had allot put on his system at one time. Is he the smallest of the 3?
If he has eaten, that is good. If it is just wobbly, I would probably wait but keep an eye on him. You could call over to an emergency vet and ask their advice. Also look at his gums, are they pink? Does his ears feel the same temperature as the other kittens?

Sarakins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can’t tell you because I am not there, and not a vet. He may have just had allot put on his system at one time. Is he the smallest of the 3?
If he has eaten, that is good. If it is just wobbly, I would probably wait but keep an eye on him. You could call over to an emergency vet and ask their advice. Also look at his gums, are they pink? Does his ears feel the same temperature as the other kittens?
I did call their emergency line and they said to keep watching him but it can take a bit for the anesthesia to fully wear off. They echoed what you said that he might just be a lightweight!

His gums look perfectly pink and I’ve been checking his ear temp and they’re all the same. I think he’s just on a little different schedule from his brothers! The kittens weigh 3.5, 3.5, and 3lbs according to the documents and Joe is one of the 3.5. He is very lanky though!

I think pet surgery should come with a completely Xanax for the pet parent!! Yikes!!! I’m a mess!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With you as his mom I am pretty sure he will be ok. These places often do feral cats on a feral cat day and the cats are released or at best kept in a trap or carrier overnight unsupervised. So, with your attention, I think you can relax a little. I didn’t mean to scare you. Those kitties are little as well and it can be harder on them. Again, I am so glad you got them neutered.

Heatherwillard0614
No need to apologize. There is no way you would know the anesthetic procedures of spays and neuters. Most people don’t. I do honestly wish there was more explanations to people as to what they should expect afterwards and the entire procedure. But it doesn’t seem people have the time.

When I worked in vet med, I gave people written instructions for aftercare and gave my cell number in case they had questions. Not a vet but I could stead them in the right direction. Of course specialty medicine is different than spay neuter clinics and both are very needed. But sadly it seems allot of everything is all about numbers not individuals, even in specialty. I do have allot of respect for the vets doing the spay and neuter clinics as they can usually do a cat spay in about 7 minutes and a cat neuter in less than a minute.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS Sarakins Sarakins -pleasure to meet you!
I have to tell you that I call my Bengal "Sami" -Samakins,lol so I was tickled to see your name but more than anything I'm blown away by the kitty in your Avatar pic..... My Belloved companion of 18ys"Cheech" RIP looked very much like your baby,I took a doubletake....I miss him terribly

It's still early so I'd just keep an eye on the little one until you can speak to your Vet- highly likely all the vaccines,anesthesia etc was alot for him to take all at once but you've done the right thing,called Emergency Vet,monitoring him and I Believe he'll be fine- STILL,call your Vet...

I've had many little ones react & recover very differently than others over the years,even the adults so it's always best to be safe than sorry.... and yes,Xanax should be prescription for pet parents!

Look forward to updates and PLEASE- photos,we LOVE photos!

Sarakins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not sure how to reply to all of you fantastic humans, but Joe is 100% back to his normal self this morning! He just needed a nice long nap I guess (me too, man!!)

photos!! Solo boy is silly Joe 🥰

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure how to reply to all of you fantastic humans, but Joe is 100% back to his normal self this morning! He just needed a nice long nap I guess (me too, man!!)

photos!! Solo boy is silly Joe 🥰
I'm in love---- they are beyond adorable!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cuteness overload!!!!! How do you go about your day??? I would be off in another room play with them and when they got tired lay there with them all day long... I would never get anything done. Hahaha

On a serious note I'm so glad they are all feeling and doing well, especially little Joe.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If possible, I second limiting the number of vaccines for a very small kitten. My cat vet will only ever do 2 vaccines at at time for any cat, regardless of age.