Post Intestinal Biopsy Question

SandyLion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

My Cat, SandyLion, had an intestinal and liver biopsy done today due to the fear of either IBD or Lymphoma. The vet told me afterwards that things didn't look great inside, his liver is friable, discolored, and he saw signs of jaundice on the liver and the intestine in addition to an extremely enlarged lymph node. Leading the vet to think Lymphoma.

Needless to say, I am distraught, but my question comes about post operative care. We got him home and administered the pain medicine to him and he's been relatively lethargic except he will regularly pace around the apartment. I am mostly worried because he has jumped on the couch about 4 times and off the bed twice, even though I've tried to stop him. Ive now got him in thw bathroom with no access to those places, but how worried should i be about any internal bleeding from the internal sutures?

All of the signs I can find about internal bleeding are things that he is naturally going to show because he is on pain medicine. I looked at his gums but it's hard for me to tell if their pale or not. Today has been really traumatic for him and I know taking him to a hospital would just add on to that as he hates the carrier.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are so uncooperative about being still even when their bodies tell them to be still. I think keeping him in the bathroom is a good idea for the reasons you have stated. If he has a comfy bed and everything else he needs, it provides the quiet room he needs for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SandyLion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response. I did leave him in the bathroom overnight. He seems to be about the same post medicine this morning. Lethargic and a little disoriented. I gave him a little water in a syringe this morning as the vet said I could. He' definitely still disinterested in drinking.

His paws are also a little cold and there is some bruising around his scar. I think these are pretty standard for post op, but didn't know if anyone else had any experience with these things.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SandyLion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are 53 hours post operation and Sandy isn't eating or drinking. I have given him some food and water from a syringe but nowhere near what he should be taking in. I'm really getting worried about him and going to call the vet in the morning, but i was curious if anyone has any suggestions for getting him to be interested in food and water. Thanks so much.