Post-hysterectomy Questions (please Help)

catladyky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat (turned 5 in Sept) had a hysterectomy on Sunday due to pyometra. The vet said we caught it early (we only saw symptoms by 3AM Saturday). We took her in ASAP by morning. She had her operation 12PM Sunday and finished it at 1PM Sunday. She's been in the vet since because we don't want to take any chances. The vet doctors keep telling us that she's "doing good" but then tell us that she's had a fever of 103 on and off that keeps coming back. They also said she's not eating but that she's "alert" and "up and about".

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out all of this. This is my first pet operation that is due to sickness. Is this a bad sign that the infection spread? Is this normal? Is it due to her age?

I don't even know what questions to ask the vet in order to get answers. We're keeping her at the vet until she goes 24 hours without a fever, is that a good way to determine if she can come home? Because the doctors told us that we could pick her up the Sunday evening if we wanted, and if we had, she would have had a fever at home... So now I don't feel safe bringing her home until this fever is gone entirely.

She was in her second day of her heat cycle (meowing, rolling around, etc) when symptoms appeared. And I've heard that if you spay a cat when they're in heat they'll finish their heat cycle... so is she still technically in a heat cycle and that's why her fever exists? Or am I wrong about this? Also, she's a very emotional cat, she's very attached to her surroundings and easily upset by strangers, so could this be why she has a fever and isn't eating? Or is her tummy just in pain from the operation?

I'm sorry for all of the questions. I've just had nonstop anxiety for three days, barely any sleep, because I'm so worried for her. Please if anyone can help me get a better understanding and tell me what I should be doing please tell me so.

And also, I would love advice for homecare after a major surgery like this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I think that 24 hours without a fever could be a valid method to determine that she is ok. In my opinion although I'm not a vet, the infection was from her pyo.

After-care would include things like trying to limit her moving around, so have all her things in a small area for a little bit. Maybe a way for her to access a heating pad that's set on low and covered with a couple of towels, but that she can move off of if she doesn't want it..
If she's still not eating (which could be from several things), ask about an appetite stimulant.
Also have some music for her, low volume classical Harp music can be helpful to relax her, etc.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little white cat had all kinds of problems after her spay. was done before i got her, and not by my vet. We worked and worked to get her healthy over about a 4 month period. she just kept having relapses. Finally my vet said im keeping her, until she recovers. She stayed with him for about 2 weeks, he was able to keep her confined, and check her every day, adjust meds, what ever she needed on a continual basis. Best thing i ever did was have her stay with him until she recovered. Once she came home that last time she has been happy and health for about 4 years now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catladyky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response. We're choosing to take her home because the vet said that a fever is normal from the inflammation of the surgery. The vet also said there's no way to tell if the infection spread, either.

@Furballsmom, thanks for the heating pad and music advice. I'll be sure to try those.

@duckpond, thanks for replying with your experience. She's been at the vet now since Sunday, so three days. $50 a day to stay extra. I think it's worth it just to be safe. But at the same time, if it's safe to bring her home I'd prefer that, not just because of financial reasons (which is a big part) but because of the anxiety of her being gone.

If anyone else can give me ideas of what to expect I'd really appreciate it.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response. We're choosing to take her home because the vet said that a fever is normal from the inflammation of the surgery. The vet also said there's no way to tell if the infection spread, either.

@Furballsmom, thanks for the heating pad and music advice. I'll be sure to try those.

@duckpond, thanks for replying with your experience. She's been at the vet now since Sunday, so three days. $50 a day to stay extra. I think it's worth it just to be safe. But at the same time, if it's safe to bring her home I'd prefer that, not just because of financial reasons (which is a big part) but because of the anxiety of her being gone.

If anyone else can give me ideas of what to expect I'd really appreciate it.
Glad to hear she is doing better and gets to come home. It can be a bit scary bringing them home after they have been very sick. But its great too, i know i missed mine like crazy, and i worried that she thought i had abandoned her, that thought broke my heart! Just watch her, and i feel she will be fine. :heartshape:

One of the perks of a small town i guess. Our vet only charged me $12.00 a day to keep itty, so it was not near as expensive for me.