Post-hairball sickness, sudden URI...?

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I woke up this morning to Chilli vomiting up a hairball - it’s been many months since the last one, so I didn’t think much of it. After that, though, she became immediately sneezy and sniffly, licking her lips and acting clearly sick. She perked up for treats and did eat some breakfast, but otherwise is just laying there in a loaf position looking pitiful, and won’t even look at me. It’s been a few hours now. I don’t think she has a fever.

I thought maybe it could be a URI, but I am sort of alarmed at how quickly it came on, and wondered if it was related to the hairball or if that was just a coincidence. I did definitely notice her sneezing last night, and maybe a little more than usual over the past few days, but she seemed totally fine and happy otherwise last night when I went to bed.

Just checking to see if there’s anything odd I might have missed, or any hairball-related illness I’m not thinking of... The fact that she’s still eating and has an appetite points against a stuck hairball, I think? She also did just have a dental surgery (one tooth removed) a week and a half ago, but she seemed to be recovered from that...

I’m planning on just keeping an eye on her for now as long as her symptoms stay mild. Going to the vet is unbelievably stressful for her, so I don’t want to drag her there unnecessarily. My poor baby :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If this were me, I absolutely would call and tell the vet everything that you've described here, and also ask about gabapentin to ease the stress of vet trips :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! If this were me, I absolutely would call and tell the vet everything that you've described here, and also ask about gabapentin to ease the stress of vet trips :).
Yes, I have messaged my vet and waiting to hear back from him. But unfortunately I have to go to work now and won’t be back until around 10pm, so no chance of taking her today :/

I’m definitely considering asking for gabapentin next time I have to take her in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ended up taking Chilli to the emergency vet because when I got home tonight she was straining to urinate and seemed to be in pain. $500 later, it looks like she has cystitis :( But we’ve got some medicine and are home now. I still feel pretty overwhelmed and worried about it so hopefully I’ll be able to research some more tomorrow.

I was up at 6am this morning with her and it’s now 2am, so... I’m going to try to get some sleep. Hopefully Chilli can get some sleep, too.