Post Enucleation/Kitten Stitches

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We found a stray kitten in the middle of the street that we decided to take in because of her severe eye infection. She had eye ulcers and needed an enucleation of one eye. We have been having a hard time with her cone and the overall healing process. I am concerned about her stitches because there is quite a bit of dried blood covering the incision. We tried the best we could to remove it but don’t want to cause any damage to the stitches. It has been 8 days since the surgery and there hasn’t been anymore active bleeding until today. (After she was playing.) I am just concerned that this is not normal. I have read that some blood is normal but the pictures I have seen of other kittens stitches have little to no blood surrounding it and do not bleed after 24-48 hours.
882521D3-9A2A-4039-83E7-D40781FBD2CC.jpeg
882521D3-9A2A-4039-83E7-D40781FBD2CC.jpeg Any and all help is appreciated!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
There seems to be a bit of 'ooze' there. I'd be taking her to the vet, or showing them the pictures at least.
When are the stitches meant to come out?

And welcome to TCS. This little one is very, very lucky to have been found by you. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for replying! her stitches are supposed to come out in 6 days. I can’t take her to the vet again right now because we had to pay for the surgery and are in between pay periods. I will try to show the pictures and see what i can do though. I feel terrible. Thankyou again!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it would be wise to send those pics to your vet and ask what is needed. They may want to take a look at it. Hopefully they can squeeze you in for a quick check, or perhaps your vet's office has techs that are capable of helping.

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for replying! We sent the pictures to the vet and he said it still looks good!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
When my cats have major surgery the check ups are free, but then I'm in Australia.. probably not the case there.
Can you at least ask them if you can clean around the eye?

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m glad the vet believes it is ok. My girl had both of her eyes removed but they were healed before she came to live with me. Thank you for taking this baby in.
See I’m glad you are taking care of her! She’s a pretty girl!

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
Minnies stitches came out today! They said to be careful she might still try to scratch so the cone will still be on the majority of the time but they didn’t say for how long. Her other eye is still trying to heal and hoping it can be saved it does look much better then before!
9E1303B3-E3AD-4071-A237-C158FD461F8B.jpeg
9E1303B3-E3AD-4071-A237-C158FD461F8B.jpeg