Post Dog Attack Trauma

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats were attacked by a neighbor's dog in our house and are suffering PTSD. I desperately want to help them. Story detailed below:

We have five cats who are related: Pumpkin, the former feral queen, Midnight, the sire, and three of their kittens - Peanut Butter Cup (female), Ginger Boy, and Tanguy (both male). The kittens are now a little over 2 years old and have been indoor-only since they were born in our parlor. Midnight was a scrappy abandoned cat who brought Pumpkin to the house originally - there are a few threads about them here. To the point: We have a large, screened front porch the cats like to lounge on. I let them onto it via the house front door, which I close depending on climate. On this day it was closed. Three weekends ago when all but one of the cats were on the porch, about 8am, a neighbor dog broke through the porch screen door and attacked the cats. Somehow our front door was opened (by dog, cats, or both) and the dog chased the cats into the house!

I was upstairs when I heard the crash, thuds, scrambling - and a dog barking inside the house. We do not have a dog. It was a neighbor's dog that had already killed a stray cat and other small animals in the neighborhood after escaping her yard. This dog is the reason I trapped Midnight indoors during his daily visit and vowed to never let him out.

I ran downstairs to see the dog in the foyer - I recognized her - and chased her out of the house. I shut the door and turned inward to survey the damage. Blood on the floor. Midnight and Cup, the two black cats, were puffed up and on the stairs and didn't appear to be injured. The two boy oranges passed me on the stairs, leaving only Pumpkin unaccounted. I realized that since there is now a hole in the screen door, Pumpkin might be back outside! So I darted out to the front yard calling her as calmly as I could. Nothing except the dog running across the street and back home. I decided I would search the house before panicking. I'll spare you the terrified search details, but I found Pumpkin upstairs in the top perch of a cat tree. I called to her and she lifted her head. Spots of blood painted her cream and white face (that's her in my profile pic). When she came down, her fur was a mess of blood and saliva; her paws soaked in blood. I don't remember ever being so horrified in my life. But she jumped down from the cat tree and shook.

As I cleaned her off I realized she wasn't injured at all - it was the dog's blood on her. None of the cats suffered any serious physical injury. (The dog is also okay - no permanent injuries.) The cats, however, are suffering a form of PTSD. The cats freak out at every sound they hear from out of their sight. All lie where they can see the front door. The front door has a drape that we usually keep open during the day which allows sight of the porch screen door (see pics). Is it better for them mentally to see that the screen door has not been breached, or to close the drape and not allow them to see the porch unless they are ON the porch. And they still go out there, but never for long. It is also 95 degrees with oppressive humidity here - I don't want to be outside either.

I want to ease their stress. It can't be good for them and it makes me stressed, which they can feel and it becomes a cycle. What would YOU do?

A few things:
1) I don't blame the dog nor the breed.
2) The owner realizes it was 100% their fault and have been helpful. Let's not make this a platform. I just want to help my cats.
3) Also Pumpkin has a mat of fur near her tail, which I've never experienced. I have only had cats 2 years. How can I get the mat out? Note she was feral 2.5 years ago.

Attachments

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
it was the dog's blood on her.
If you'll pardon me for saying, GO Pumpkin, this sounds a lot like this was her protecting everybody else. Wow, what a cat.

You checked her claws? If you can, you might also check her mouth for any loose teeth, since this sounds like it was an all out "I'm going to murder this intruder dog if I can".

Can you cut that mat about halfway down (in other words, not right next to her skin) while she's sleeping? If not, and even if so try some cornstarch. I've never tried this but I've read that it helps separate the hairs and makes it easier to eliminate the mat.

I personally think that time is going to be everyone's friend here with calmness on your part and as normal a routine as possible. I would see how they react with the drape open vs the drape closed.

That said about time, try some calming treats or sprays on their favorite napping places if you're comfortable doing that, (not the pheromone plugins, they're expensive and sometimes don't help), and definitely Cat Music - there is RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats, and spotify and other sources have harp music for cats.

Also, groom them if they're ok with it (if not, don't force it, just try again later). Your attention and love and calm happy voice, and the brushing, will be a little distracting and can help them to feel more confident that things are getting back to normal.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would seem odd for them to be experiencing PTSD if they still choose to go on the porch. After all, they know that is where the dog came when they were attacked, so I guess I am confused as to why they are on vigilant watch inside the house for fear of being attacked again, but not enough so to avoid the porch where it all began.

For now, you might want to close the drape and not let them outside at all - unless you have made arrangements with the neighbor to prevent the dog from coming to your house/porch. That being the case, eventually they will relax and be more comfortable not only inside your home but on the porch as well. Either way, trying some calming products might be helpful, whether that be vet prescribed or OTC products that you can experiment with, as not all of them work on all cats.

Do you have a fenced in back yard? If so, you might consider buying or building a catio/cat enclosure that they can access without fear of another attack. Accidents happen, so the dog may still make its way to your porch again.

As far as Pumpkin's mat, unless you can handle her to try to knead out the mat, you really don't have much choice but to have the vet take care of it. It might take two people, one to hold her and the other to use both hands to try to gently massage the mat to separate it, so that you can get out as much as possible. Then, depending on your success, you can take a comb to try to finish removal. I don't recommend scissors if you have never done anything like this before, especially considering where the mat appears to be located.

EDIT: Maybe this article about how remove mats will help.
Matted Cat Fur: How To Get Rid Of Your Cat’s Mats - DodoWell - The Dodo

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How utterly terrifying for you and your cats. I've heard of dogs breaking in through other dogs dog doors. Not good. But we do tend to think screening is stronger than it is.

I would buy enough lattice (wood or plastic) to cover the outside or inside of the screened porch. This will give them an extra wall of safety from their view. They will see the plastic, they will see it staying in place. You can even put some around the bottom of the porch on the inside. Do not forget to cover your screen door to the outside. If you use plastic and screw the sections into the uprights of your porch you will actually make it much much harder for the dog to break into your porch. That plastic is tough.

If you don't like the lattice idea consider chicken wire, heavy gage with very small openings. Both the wire and lattice will allow breezes and let the cats look out.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some excellent advice.

Try to keep some music playing when you can for a few days until they get less jumpy again. I think that's normal for some time.

Lots of catnip might help too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you'll pardon me for saying, GO Pumpkin, this sounds a lot like this was her protecting everybody else. Wow, what a cat.

You checked her claws? If you can, you might also check her mouth for any loose teeth, since this sounds like it was an all out "I'm going to murder this intruder dog if I can".
I feel similarly! She's a hero! And she only has 6 teeth after getting most extracted in January. However, she has claws and knows how to use them. Ironically, she has just learned to not use them on us when attempting affection.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hooray for Pumpkin!!! :salute::soldier::heartshape::cheerleader::clapcat: I have had cats be every bit protective as dogs .
In addition to the wonderful suggestions already given, you could ask your vet or a holistic healer about using calming herbs as a supplement. Back in May, a mountain lion (probably with at least one youngster - based on pawprints although only the adult showed on my neighbor's Ring camera) killed off most of my ferals and outdoor cats and the few survivors were obviously traumatized. I made them a tea of chamomile, lemon balm and holy basil and added it to a gruel of canned cat food. Some of them relaxed right away but a couple of kitties whom I thought already gone began to reappear during daylight hours. I am very sorry that your home was violated but am grateful that no one suffered physical injuries although PTSD is challenging.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try this one Home | Music for Cats | David Teie

I think, as mentioned above, that you might consider a vet appointment - explain what occurred and that you'd like someone to double-check her teeth and claws.
I would listen to that without cats. Thanks! I have the vet on speed dial. There have been many medical issues lately.

A blessing in disguise from this is a stronger relationship with Ginger Boy and Pumpkin. I believe that she may be responding to me putting so much effort into learning how to communicate with her. She recently taught me a game she wanted to play with me - and how to know when she wants to play it!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WOW, this is like Tara the cat, 2.0! I'm glad all your cats are OK, and I'm VERY glad that the dogs owner is being reasonable with you. I hope they can keep their dog contained, so no cat (stray or not) has to meet up with them.
Please keep in mind there can be bites that don't break the skin but can cause bruising and problems under the skin. If she seems sensitive in any area, reach out to your vet and have her seen. There could also be bites on areas she might not let you look at (armpits, etc.) so just keep a good, close eye on her.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Pumpkin and Midnight had their annual check up yesterday. She is heavy and needs to lose 2 lbs. She has also had mats in her fur recently and wanted to talk to the vet about that and Midnight's issues, along with them, one is that his remaining lower fang pins his upper lip up. It bothers him constantly. The vet said all we can do is spend a couple thousand on a vet dentist. Eek. I hope he adjusts. They are both very stressed still. We got a feliway diffuser for the rooms they most often frequent. Otherwise I am just trying to help them cope. I'm a little overwhelmed by it sometimes - you know the frustration of not being able to communicate fluently.

Adenkorsar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm really sorry to hear about the traumatic incident your cats went through. Understandably, they're feeling anxious after such an event. Creating a sense of safety is key, so whether you keep the drape open or closed, go with whatever helps them feel more at ease. Also, consider providing hiding spots or safe zones around the house where they can retreat when feeling overwhelmed.I have a dog, and I know that a dog's behavior is the owner's responsibility. I train my dog, but even for me, she brings some unexpected surprises.

Last edited by a moderator:

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. They have lots of hiding places and retreat to them whenever they hear a sound coming from out of eyesight. It's heartbreaking and I know they're suffering. We bought 3 Feliway diffusers but I don't know if they're helping. They definitely didn't help my bank account.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you. They have lots of hiding places and retreat to them whenever they hear a sound coming from out of eyesight. It's heartbreaking and I know they're suffering. We bought 3 Feliway diffusers but I don't know if they're helping. They definitely didn't help my bank account.
I found them to help after a few weeks. Do you play some music for them?