Post dental cleaning appetite

Dalice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 15 year old ragdoll had his teeth cleaned on Monday, no extractions.
Later that day he ate voraciously, seemed a bit hyped up but finally relaxed to sleep.
It's Wed now and he is eating, but not with the same zest. I had to coax him to eat all his daily food.
Could this be lingering effects from gas anesthesia? He also had a small dose of bupromorphine during cleaning.
Thank you!

hopscotch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seen my cats have a huge appetite for hours or a day after anesthesia and sedation. I suspect it’s in the range of normal. Check with your vet though if you need more information. 😊

Soroxas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Dalice,

My 15-year-old Ragdoll just had his teeth cleaned Monday as well, no extractions. Sam also ate quite a lot when he got back home, and that is something he always does when he gets back from the vet. Mostly because cats don't feel safe in a place they are unused to and won't eat. Also, sometimes teeth cleaning can be painful as they are very thorough and vigirous. It's likely your baby might be feeling some left over pain now that the pain medicine has worn off. Right now, I don't think it's something to worry about. It usually takes 24 hours for a feline to fully recover from anesthesia. I'd say, if by the end of the week (Friday), you haven't seen an improvement, you might want to call your vet back.

By chance, has your baby been sneezing since the cleaning? Sam seems to be sneezing some since he came back from the vet.