Post-dental Care

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is getting a dental Tuesday. She's 7 and this is her first. Her blood work checks out so we're good to go.

This is my first dental experience, so I just wanted to see if there's anything I should know about post-dental care.

Obviously I will ask my vet Tuesday, but I'm curious now and I have emailed them entirely too many times this week about my other cat, so I want to give them a break for now lol

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually the first visit is the check of the tarter. If there is a need for scraping or even more then there will be a blood test because the work is done under full anesthesia. The results have to come back before the work is done, at least 24 hours. The doctor will let you know after the procedure what is needed.

Two of mine, each 3 yrs old, just went through their first dental procedures from a mobile vet. They had teeth pulled. They were given antibiotics, and when they were brought in, they went into a room where they could not run into furniture because they were still very wobbly from the anesthesia. I was told to keep them away from food and water for at least three hours. I was also given pain medicine and told when I could give it. And I should call the vet if they did not eat by at least the next morning.

They came out of the room after three hours, fully awake. They ate a full can of food in one sitting. I did not give them any of the pain meds, They were on my lap playing, sleeping and eating just like normal. I was told to call if there were any problems. They ate a good breakfast and dinner today. I fed them their favorite foods to entice them. All is good!