Post catheter/FLUTD behavior

sueasinsue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FLUTD is frustrating -my cat blocked and had the catheter inserted, overnight stay at the ER vet-when I brought him home he was on antibiotics, pain meds and some sort anti-inflammatory drug as well,  the meds lasted for two weeks,  he would pee multiple times a day but only little tiny amounts, I added two cat fountains, and found that he loved to drink water out of the water bottle cap. This was time consuming as I had to sit on the floor to keep refilling the cap but he was drinking lots of water. I think it was about 4-6 weeks before he started to pee normal and act normal.

I have read many articles on FLUTD and I can't emphasize enough that it seems to be different for each cat that has it. There is no ONE right answer to your problem, which I thought was frustrating! My vet also said stress is the underlying issue here.

I feed him Royal Canine SO-which dissolved the crystals within 24 hours after starting him on it. He has been fine ever since!

I personally think it's the food that alters the PH and plenty of water-this is the key to managing FLUTD. RC SO actually makes the cat thirsty so they drink much much more. I don't know about other foods as this was the first we tried him on and he loved it. So I didn't have to try a bunch of different brands. I know other people have to try several before they find one that works.

It can be very expensive-I feel your pain. But it does take awhile for the cat to "heal" from the procedure and get back to normal. You will find the right food or combination of food and supplements. It just takes time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mason94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Sue. Well, we go back for a check up today. He's still straining to poop, I still have him on miralax and some laxatone (which he will lick right from the tube). But I'm really having trouble determining if it's just constipation or if he's possibly re blocking. I did get a drinking fountain and neither cat will touch it. I'm returning it. And he's not happy on all wet food, he wants dry food. I try to give him both just so he's eating something. I mix water in whatever food I give him. I pray that this will be his trip to the vet this year. It's getting very VERY expensive.

sueasinsue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mason94 I totally understand what your going through, I ran up $1400 on one credit card when my cat "Blue" blocked, between vet visits, medications and carpet cleaner (he was "dripping" after he would pee so it would get on everything, I finally covered my couch and furniture with plastic garbage bags) . I am still paying it off.

Do you think the meds are causing the constipation? My cat had the opposite reaction on meds, as soon as he got off the meds his poop returned to normal. Also he wouldn't eat after the catheter episode, so I would bring him 5-6 pieces of kibble, and put one piece down at a time in front of him, for some reason, this worked and he would eat it but he wouldn't go to his dish. It took about 2 weeks for him to start going to his dish.

You might want to get creative with the fountains to get him used to it, I put ice cubes in one of mine, my cats loved to watch the ice float around then eventually started dipping paws in, and finally drinking from the fountain....or try other means of getting water in him. I found my cat likes to drink out of a shallow dainty tea-cup, none of my other cats will drink out of it, but he loves it. If I pour bottled water out of the fridge into the cup he immediately goes to drink it?

On another note Blue won't touch wet food either-he gets RC SO dry because that is ALL he will eat. Dry kibble. I know people are going to be in an uproar when they see this, but what can I do? I tried only putting out wet and he didn't eat for TWO days. I tried mixing the kibble with water, nope. I tried everything. All I am saying is I know how frustrating this can be, everyone tells you don't do this or do that and your left in a whirlwind of confusion. Take it one day at a time. Every cat is different. You'll figure it out I am positive.

mason94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he is no longer on any meds, it should all be out of his system by now, it's been a week since his last shot. Diego always seems great after a vet visit because they give him fluids or pain meds or whatever it is he needs that day. He will eat, drink, potty, be lovey, basically he acts normal like he isn't even sick. But when all of it wears off he's back to moping and not wanting to eat or drink and straining to go potty again.

It's super frustrating because I am trying everything to help him get better. Bought him bottled spring water, drinking fountain, different water bowls, different foods, more litter boxes, and you're right "There is no one answer". Which is more confusing because what one person says is normal, another person says is an emergency. And the vet doesn't really have any answers either. All they can basically do is run tests and give catheters/IVs and medications.

Yes, I know most everyone will tell us not to give dry food. But if they refuse to eat the wet food then we don't really have any other choice. I already feel like I'm wasting so much food because he doesn't eat it.

sueasinsue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the one vet say why he didn't want him on the Royal Canine SO? I only ask because that was my miracle that I needed to end the nightmare and it makes him thirsty. He drinks 10X what he used to drink.

I had to see multiple vets because of his condition, and NONE could give me a straight answer! One tells me NO dry food, the other says as long as it is the prescription dry NO problem, another tells me my cat will be dead if I don't feed him wet, another told me I had two choices the surgery or putting him down and there was  no mention of prescription food??????

Blue had blood in his urine for two weeks after the catheter, possibly a little longer, it was freaking me out. I did NOT like seeing RED spots of urine. I had put some old towels around my house, for some reason he would pee on those-and every time I checked there would be the dreaded red spots......it finally went away though, as I am sure it will go away as Diego heals. I think that whole catheter insertion must be very painful and leaves quite the wound, that is why it takes so long to heal.

mason94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Holy smokes! For two weeks? I would've lost my mind in a panic. He isn't bleeding any more, I keep checking his penis and even dabbed it with some tissue, and no blood, only pee. But he is still excessively licking himself. And making noises when he's trying to poop. I'm almost sure that he doesn't want to eat much or drink because he's constipated and his tummy doesn't feel good. I hope that's why anyhow. Sometimes he won't act like he's hungry but if I wait for him lay down and set the food under his nose, he will eat it. It's weird.

Ya know, she didn't really say why we shouldn't give it to him other than that she was unfamiliar with the brand. But after our last visit last week it was on a list of vet approved diets. So, even our own vet is contradicting herself.

sueasinsue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was a mess with stress and panic. Seeing those little puddles of blood had me completely freaked out. The constant licking lasted much longer then the blood, and the frequent trips to the litter box, with small amounts of pee last about the same as the licking. After awhile I noticed he would pee normal once, then multiple times in the afternoon, after awhile it evened out. The licking stopped too.

That is exactly what I did-when he was laying down I would give him a few kibbles, right under his nose and he would eat. My husband and I took turns doing this throughout the day until he started going to his plate.

Hopefully the vet can help with the constipation, I am sure that is adding to his discomfort!

After much research and pulling out my hair and talking to anyone that would listen, prescription food is a common answer to the crystal problem. I would definitely ask the vet about trying it on Diego.

mason94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
your info helps a lot. I forgot to ask her last time how long the symptoms would last, so obviously I read way too much into everything. His trips to the litter are still frequent, but less than before he got his catheter. And not making full size puddles. Which is so confusing that they still have all the same symptoms as before they got treated.

Here's to hoping all is well!

sueasinsue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your just worried, I know I felt the same, don't worry about the frequent trips -at least he is peeing. That is what matters. Hope the vet visit goes well!

mason94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! I'll update after the vet, when I get time