Post-Adoption Anxiety/Regret

NaCL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently my grandfather and I adopted two cats from his god daughter. I love them to bits, but some time last i started feeling anxious.

For context my grandfather and I have been talking about adopting a new pet (dog or cat we didnt really care we just wanted a new indoor pet) for the past two years. During those two years i spent a lot of time learning about how to take care of what ever pet were were talking about at that moment. This was of course always within earshot of my grandmother. She never really approved of getting a cat much less two, citing various claims of developing allergies and a bunch of old superstitions.

A few months ago my grandfather found out that his goddaughter was looking to give away the kittens from their most recent litter (I'm not sure if it was accidental of not but from what I know they aren't exactly breeders) This then led to him asking me if i was prepared/willing to take care of them, and I said I was.

Originally when I said yes, I was under the impression that it was only going to be one kitten, and that we were going to let them free roam once they were older. A few days before they arrived though my grandfather told me that we were infact adopting a pair of sisters, and as it turns out my grandfather had never planned on letting my grandmother know that we were getting cats. So when she found out the day they arrived I was told that I was expected to have them live in my room period, they wetent going to be allowed to free roam, and that they weren't allowed on the bed etc. Conditions that I thought I would be ok with after all the kittens were already here we couldn't give them back, and the person we got them from went out of their way to provide us with the stuff that we needed.

However last night, I just started getting anxious because of a whole host of diffent reasons. Some of them were covid related (ie were the supplies we got sanitzed correctly? Are the kittens safe to be arround? etc). Some were family related (I have an aunt who visits yearly for a few months, and greatly disapproves of indoor pets and my general living with my grandparents as opposed to my mom or dad, and I guess I'm scared I'll get scolded and blamed for my grandathers decision to get kittens, because of my love for them.), and finally the reason I decided to post on this forum the kittens themselves.

Before actually getting them home I had been aware that this was gonna be a huge commitment. But I guess it never really sunk in that they'll be dependent on me for years. For now, since I'm only in my second year of college. The kittens daily lives are my responsibility, but financially their my grandfather's, so money isn't reallyban issue. I guess the anxiety is more from the part where I just got hit in the face with the realization that a lot of things are gonna change, and I can't help but feel like I've bitten off more than I could chew.

Don't get me wrong I love my kittens they very well behaved, and their mere precense motivates me to be more responsible about taking care of my living space. My grandfather also loves that they're here. He comes and goes from my room far more often than he normally would.

I dont really know what I expect to get from this thread to be honest. Like I know I'm being irrational. Most of this was just a long rant to get it off my chest cause I dont really know anyone irl who would understand.

Tl;dr
My granfather and I just adopted two kittens. My grandmother does not approve, and requests that they live in my room and only my room. I'm feeling anxious, because
A.) I expect to be scolded by a familiy member for letting this happen.
B.) responsibility
C.) change.

russianbluebonnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi! first off, I want to reassure you that everything will turn out okay! you CAN do this!! I know it doesn't seem that way right now, but that's because your anxiety is what's ruling your mind at the moment. once you get a handle on that, everything starts to fall into place. give it a month, and I swear to you, you will feel better by then. you just need to get into a routine with your kitties and focus on the love aspect instead of the responsibility. of course, there's also the added stress of the family situation. the cats can't live their whole lives in one room, I don't think that would be fair to them. it sounds like there needs to be a family meeting to discuss the kitties. I hope this helps even a little bit! I was SUPER anxious when I first got my kitty, I couldn't sleep or really eat, even with my boyfriend helping me with feeding and litter clean up! I even thought about taking her back to the shelter, but almost three months later, and I can't believe I ever considered that. she's my baby! give yourself a break, it's a whole new experience so of course you feel a bit frazzled, but once you get into the swing of things and you start to develop a relationship with your kitties, it'll stop feeling like a responsibility and more like a labor of love! good luck and keep us posted! I barely joined but I've read through these threads before and everyone here is very sweet and supportive! they definitely helped me when I was having post adoption blues. search "adoption regret" or something along those lines and there are a ton of posts, maybe those can shine a light on your situation!