Possum and outdoor strays. Help.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We get possums around here all the time. Like everyone else said, they are fairly harmless and won't bother the cats. From time to time, a mom possum will leave her kids in my covered patio while she goes off to do possum things. I normally can tell when because the cats are suddenly very interested in nocks between pots or the babies try to get out of curious paw reach by climbing up the taller plants. I probably physically see one possum every other year (excluding the kids I am apparently babysitting for) but I can usually see one a week on my security cameras.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are doing a great job with trying to help cats in your area! Actually, the fear of possums is not that uncommon. The local police here will often get a call from someone who has not seen one before, either a visitor or someone new to the area, because they think they are in danger from a prehistoric wild animal. The sad fact here is that a lot of them die in the street as they just do not move quickly enough to get out of the way of cars.

My first dog was an Australian shepherd mix and he would go outside and pick them up in his mouth and bring them to me when I was watching TV at night, throwing them in my lap like a toy. At first is was a shock, but then we learned to put them outside and turn off the lights and let them leave once they regained their composure.

I have never had a problem with them and, in fact, had one come early last night for left over kibble. They do move on. I have seen the same type of behavior as @moxiewild posted in her response...which was very informative!

Raccoons are a different story......:mad:
Oh dear. One of my lab mix would try to bring me his lizard friends. 😫

We get possums around here all the time. Like everyone else said, they are fairly harmless and won't bother the cats. From time to time, a mom possum will leave her kids in my covered patio while she goes off to do possum things. I normally can tell when because the cats are suddenly very interested in nocks between pots or the babies try to get out of curious paw reach by climbing up the taller plants. I probably physically see one possum every other year (excluding the kids I am apparently babysitting for) but I can usually see one a week on my security cameras.
Possum things sounds interesting 😂 I feel bad for any animal that gets killed. Even if I'm afraid. I kinda felt bad yesterday because I wanted to let it eat but had to control myself.

Raccoons are a different story......:mad:
Are they bad? They look kind of cute in pictures lol

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They're naughty. They knock everything over, they dip the food in the water and get it all gross, and---very rarely---one will be aggressive and kill cats.
I've had raccoons kill my rabbits and they can be downright mean when they want to be. No fear of humans either which makes them more dangerous if you don't remember the sharp teeth. I am biased of course because of the rabbits.

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're naughty. They knock everything over, they dip the food in the water and get it all gross, and---very rarely---one will be aggressive and kill cats.
Yikes. And I thought this possum problem was bad. I guess at least it hasn't tried to wreck anything here.

I've had raccoons kill my rabbits and they can be downright mean when they want to be. No fear of humans either which makes them more dangerous if you don't remember the sharp teeth. I am biased of course because of the rabbits.
I'm sorry about your rabbits. :(
I've only seen them in pictures and a few videos of them stealing cat food. I totally thought they weren't aggressive. I hope I don't get one of them here as well. This possum is enough.

IT WAS BACK LAST NIGHT 😭😭😭😭😭

I brought the food inside at around 6pm and left the outdoor light on hoping it would scare it away. Looked outside around 10pm and there it was looking for food. The poor cats where starving this morning. They really went at the food soon as I put it out. I hope it goes away soon.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you keep an eye on the cat food and feed later, say before 9 or so, and then pick up. Possums and the like usually come later in the evening or early in the morning.

Raccoons can be destructive if they have access to anything and I always know if they are around because all cat food dishes are thrown around, even if they were empty paper plates, and the water is usually half empty because they used it to wash. You don't want them to have access to any inside area like a garage or attic. They are very bold; the two I am currently discouraging took to showing up at 5 AM when my ferals are at the back door, chasing them away, and literally leaning on the sliding glass door waiting for food. I do believe they kill smaller animals as well.

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you keep an eye on the cat food and feed later, say before 9 or so, and then pick up. Possums and the like usually come later in the evening or early in the morning.

Raccoons can be destructive if they have access to anything and I always know if they are around because all cat food dishes are thrown around, even if they were empty paper plates, and the water is usually half empty because they used it to wash. You don't want them to have access to any inside area like a garage or attic. They are very bold; the two I am currently discouraging took to showing up at 5 AM when my ferals are at the back door, chasing them away, and literally leaning on the sliding glass door waiting for food. I do believe they kill smaller animals as well.
Ok raccoons seem to just be jerks 😂
I'm just scared of backyard animals so I never like to go outside after dark. I'm going to try feeding them right outside the patio sliding doors tonight. It's been getting darker here earlier so that's why. 😭