Possibly Pregnant But Can't Feel Kittens...

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got out around the middle of March and we're pretty sure she bred with a stray someone dumped in the area. You could smell where they marked all around my house. I saw him sitting outside my house for days meowing for her. Anyways, her nipples are bright pink and she lost hair aound them. She has suddenly become a finicky eatter and will only eat canned food. Her stomach has grown quite a bit and she has become a lot more affectionate. The only thing I'm worried about is I can't feel anything in her stomach. It's so hard that when I press gently it just feels like a huge muscle. I did my research and heard phantom pregnancies are possible. Not really sure what to make of it. She's very possessive of her stomach so I will try to post pictures when I can get them. I put a nesting box with old soft sheets in a quiet corner just in case. I've seen her trying to root around my cupboards and closet as well. All signs point to pregnancy but like I said, no sign at all of movement and I can't feel them. Possibly a small litter? Not sure what to think of it. She also seems to be having trouble with hair balls the last few days as well because she's constantly grooming herself. She's not vomiting or showing any signs of illness. I'm planning on calling the vet tomorrow to get an opinion on it. I thought I would wait it out longer but not much change has happened in the past to weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's her stretched out and what her nipples look like

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's only about 4-5 weeks along, not far along enough to feel the kittens, unless you're very experienced with palpating. You can usually feel them easily during weeks 7-9.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Normal cat gestation is about two months, so you won't start seeing movement until early May. Hormones can have a big effect on the digestive system and the hardness you are feeling could be gas or bloating. Her nipples definitely look like she's pregnant and phantom pregnancies aren't that common, so I'm betting she is pregnant.

In the meantime, is it possible you or a local rescue can TNR that stray male? Help prevent other cats from getting pregnant and having kittens outside.

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the help! I looked at a calender and she has to be at least five, I'm leaning more towards six but not quite sure. I felt her tummy this morning and I felt something that felt like little flutters or bubbles. It was probably just her food digesting lol. She goes to the vet Thursday so we'll see what he says. It's very sad about the male cat. We frequently get cats dumped off because we live on a farm. I think the idiots think they're doing them a favor because we have barns for shelter. I contacted a organization that provides low cost TNR services and I'm waiting for a response. We live in a really rural area and the cats are everywhere unfortunately. This would be my cats first litter, she's a little over a year old and I got her from my mother in law a few months back. I'm trying to get a better picture of her. I just worry because she's a very little and petite cat. I'm sure everything will be ok my motherly instincts are in full force.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She should be ok despite her small size. I had a foster cat in February that weighed only 7 lbs and gave birth to five plump kittens! She was also a little over a year.

I’m glad you contacted the TNR group! I hope you hear back from them!

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I plan on getting her fixed right after weaning too. She's my baby and I realize even though she's completely indoors, going into heat makes them willing to do anything to escape. This whole situation is my fault.

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took Ms. Snuggles to the vet and they guessed she has approx. 3 weeks left. She's doing great and she's getting spayed at the end of July. Still haven't seen the male lately that I think got her pregnant. The TNR group finally got back to me and said they charge $85 for a male. I still can't feel or see any movement so hopefully I can soon!!

Attachments

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok got another question. Is it normal for her to lose her appetite days or even weeks before birth? I noticed movement the first couple days in may. So I figured we had a couple weeks left. A few days ago she wouldn't eat at all and was vomitting. Now she nibbles but won't even finish a can a day. She's also making frequent trips to the litter box. Besides that, she's acting like her normal self.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes it is normal for them to stop eating up to a few days before birth to prepare. The vomiting isn’t normal though, so if she continues doing that you may want to consider a trip to the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats should not stop eating, but they sometimes eat less. How is she today?

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is acting completely normal. No more vommit since Sunday night, but still not eatti my much. Gave her a can of food and her favorite hard food this morning. She took a few bites of the can and that was it. She's still playful and bright eyed so I'll keep an eye on her.

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
not Eatting very much

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She went into to labor. First kitten was still born, the second is a feisty bugger. That was at 2 a.m. She has gotten up once to eat a little then immediately went to lay back down with her kitten. Her belly still seems large to me b it O don't feel anymore. She has a slight bloody discharge that looks fresh and she walks kind of hunkered down. I'm on hold with the vet.

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im not sure if there is anymore but she seems calm and content. Should her belly still be that big and hard over 12 hours since last kitten?

Emily41190

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just practically inhaled soft food i put in her nesting box. Vet said to wait it out since shes comfortable and the kitten nursing will help with labor if there's more. Mommas don't great right now so we will see...