Possible Uti?

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi im probably over thinking this and its simple an accident. Today while doing a morning feed my one female seem to lose control and pee'd by her food dish and seemd completely embarrassed as she tried to cover it up. Of course i didn't yell or give any type of punishment. I don't beleive in punishing for accidents because they can't tell us whats wrong. She never done this before and im not positive why it happend. It could be she has a uti. It could be she felt cornered and couldn't get to the litter pan. It could be she wanted food and to make sure it wouldn't get taken so tried to hold it and couldn't.

My question is should i get her into a vet now or wait and see? She not acting any differently then normal.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat had an accident but since you know her best and this is not her normal behavior I would definitely contact your vet. She may be experiencing some type of inflammation. Here's a helpful Article that discusses litter box issues and urinary problems: Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

I hope she's back to her normal routine soon. Please keep us updated on her progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. As this was the first time she ever done this i think im going to watch her closely for a bit as she was diffeintly blocked in which dosen't normally happen but ace has been grumpy today she his favourite target. She did run to the box after i had them move so i could clean the pee up. Harley has a appointment in serveral days so i will see about add her on to his if it seems to be an issue

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, i would try to get her in as an add on i think. Unless it happens again, or she has other symptoms, then i would try to get her in right away. May not be a blockage, but maybe a URI, or something going on?
Best of luck and keep us updated with her.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Look closely for straining to go. A blockage can take a cats life within hours. Scary stuff. Just a uti? antibiotics and you are all good!

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If kitty is in real trouble she will strain, meow, and make lots of trips to the box.

My boy is getting over a uti and all he had symptom wise was some blood in the urine, totally going to the box normally and acting normal, so sometimes they can have a uti that's maybe not so severe and there's only 1 or 2 signs.

I don't know if one accident is enough to be rushing to the vet, especially if you didn't see any blood or anything, but you can at least call the vet and watch her closely.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cat's was treated for a UTI. The only symptom he had was having an accident on hubby's recliner. Like your baby my cat had never had an accident before. The vet did check him for a UTI even though there were no other symptoms. She told me I caught it before the other symptoms were present. UTI's are easier to treat the faster they are caught. I would watch her closely and at least call and ask your vet if they think you need to bring her in.

Having been through an expensive blockage issue with the same cat I would error on the side of caution myself and take her to the vet to make sure she did not have a UTI. My cat's blockage was caused by a bad UTI without any crystals. Yes it is possible that something startled her and caused an accident but I still think this is worth a discussion with your vet. Your vet should be able to let you know if your baby needs to be checked for a UTI.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There has been know other accidents since the one. We did take her to the vet today which has a interesting story but she did very good and got a clean bill of health she is actually a lot older then we thought guessed to be 6-7 years old she was also already fixed like i thought. Although thats good it sadden me because this confirms our theroy that she was dumped and probably luckly to have been dumped on site or found the colony on her own. She can be very sweet and loving once you figure out her sensitivity but she also temperamental at times.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad she got a vet check, and a clean bill of health. It is always so sad that people just dump cats. Im very glad you have her, and are taking such good care :heartshape: